PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manny Lawson anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Cousin, I vehemently and without conviction disagree with that, as will most here. But I respect your opinion.
Lawson is getting better and Maroney, .......not so much.

Last year was a breakout year for Lawson. We still await Maroney.
We can compare injury resumes of these two I am sure.
DW Toys

6.5 sacks is a breakout year?

Maroney has rushed for over 2400 yards, with a 4.2 yard avg for 21 touchdowns in 45 games.

Lawson has 181 career tackles, 12 sacks, four forced fumbles and interception.

To be honest both are busts for 1st round picks. But I'll take the 21 TD and 4.2 yard avg, over 12 career sacks in a four year period.

Last edited:
In this discussion lets not forget that TBC was putrid in the SF system, and seems to have refound himself back in NE. Now if you consider the talent differential between TBC and Lawson and then extrapulate that if his numbers improved at the rate that TBC did, then you really have something.....

Didn't BB have a chance to draft him and passed on him?

Not sure that Lawson has done anything to make BB change his mind now.

Last edited:
6.5 sacks is a breakout year?

Maroney has rushed for over 2400 yards, with a 4.2 yard avg for 21 touchdowns in 45 games.

Lawson has 181 career tackles, 12 sacks, four forced fumbles and interception.

To be honest both are busts for 1st round picks. But I'll take the 21 TD and 4.2 yard avg, over 12 career sacks in a four year period.

Your personal opinion is well noted and appreciated sir.
DW Toys

Didn't BB have a chance to draft him and passed on him?

Not sure that Lawson has done anything to make BB change his mind now.

Maroney was the third rated RB in the Draft and Lawson the 2nd rated DE (NOTE: not OLB). We needed the next Dillon.

Lawson, I am sure has had some learning curve getting the OLB job. Give him that much. Maroney hasn't switched positions but this is not about Maroney.

I am sure Mr. Singletary has taught him a few things about the LB position and to make another note, Singeltary's first full year as head coach is Lawsons best year in the NFL.

Mr. Jones, I ask you in front of all these witnesses, would you like to see Manny Lawson on the Patriots?
DW Toys

Lawson on the Patriots would be fine.

However, there's no indication SF wants to deal him.

And I certainly wouldn't trade Maroney or higher than a 5th to acquire him.

yeah, I would trade a 6th or 7th.

Way too generous Cousin.
DW Toys

I know, particularly since he would want a new contract.........

Teams don't trade players for no reason. It is usually because there is a catch. (The player is a problem child, wants to be overpaid, etc.)

Jack, As always I appreciate your response..sincerely.
You already know you are not going to spring Lawson for a fifth and I doubt if the Patriots could get even a fourth for Maroney on their best day (perhaps a fifth). Give me that much.
DW Toys

I think the Pats should trade for all of the previous binkies from this board: Lawson, Bobby Carpenter, Connor Barwin - and of course, Adam Seward.

Stop bringing up Ahmad Brooks. First off he's an inside guy, and teams sign depth guys for 2 years all the time so that has nothing to do with manny Lawson.

I know, particularly since he would want a new contract.........

Teams don't trade players for no reason. It is usually because there is a catch. (The player is a problem child, wants to be overpaid, etc.)

Moss and Welker were Trades. Not too shabby. They are not actively seeking to trade Lawson. I did not say that. I just said now with Brooks signing a new contract and Laboy just signing yesterday, the only OLB not under contract there is Lawson. Perhaps he is worth consideration rather than taking a OLB in the Draft who are mostly conversions anyway, and Lawson has already had that training in NFL experience and only 25.

No sense he is a problem child. His Dad was a military man. Overpaid?....they all are. Ask TB.
Who knows what the figures needed are. He is on his last year as is Maroney, and he wants an extension for security (yes please, a raise too). It might be for more of the "where am I going to be in 2011?".

I threw an idea out there that is more intriguing IMO and will pay dividends in 2010 rather than going after a Ricky Saap or a Misi who will have to learn as well.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Stop bringing up Ahmad Brooks. First off he's an inside guy, and teams sign depth guys for 2 years all the time so that has nothing to do with manny Lawson.

I beg to differ sir.
"49ers re-signed OLB Ahmad Brooks to a two-year, $4.225 million contract."
DW Toys

You are correct...pure speculation on my part. Just reading some Tea Leaves with Brooks just resigning a new contract. Lawson seeking an extension and picking up Laboy yesterday (so they have tied up some $ at that slot), but the Tea could be bitter.
DW Toys

I never get when others slam such speculation here. It's actually pretty good speculation, and fun to consider. Anything is possible if the terms are favorable.

By the way, if the Pats truly want to trade up, I'd love to know in whom they are interested. :)

I never get when others slam such speculation here. It's actually pretty good speculation, and fun to consider. Anything is possible if the terms are favorable.

By the way, if the Pats truly want to trade up, I'd love to know in whom they are interested. :)

The same person 'speculating' with 500 million trades that all involve moving players he bashes at every opportunity.....

That might be some of the reasoning.

Perhaps he is worth consideration rather than taking a OLB in the Draft who are mostly conversions anyway

If we draft an OLB in the 1st, and he has 12 career sacks in four years, this board will hate him worse than Maroney.

It's not blind speculation, as there have been some rumblings of Lawson being unhappy about his playing time and/or contract. I wanted him badly in 2006, and I'd still take him on the Pats today, but not for a 2nd rounder.

The most I'd be willing to give up is probably a 4th rounder, but I doubt the 49ers would be willing to ship him off for that. He's a solid player but not the pass rusher people thought he would be.

THX,
DW Toys

so let the Patriots get into a contract dispute with a 1st round bust while giving up a 2nd to boot? No thanks.

Who in the world is the '1st round bust' you are referring to?

Not only would he easily be the best OLB here, he'd have been #3rd overall on the team in tackles last year. Combine that with 16 games started, 6.5 sacks, and 3 forced fumbles--and a lot of us would be pretty happy.

---

With that said, I think DWToys should start his own website that speculates trade bait for anyone/everyone in the NFL who is good, and not on our team.;) I respect his thoughts of course, but many of these trades are for good players whose teams' wouldn't ever let them hit the market.

Adrian Wilson, Ray Edwards, and now Manny Lawson all come to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes