PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manny: is this a record?

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
By my accounts he has been at the plate 19 times in this series against the yankees. He has 8 hits, 8 walks, and reached base on 2 errors. That amounts to 18 times on base out of 19 times up in a 5 game stretch. This has got to be an all-time record. Absolutely incredible.

Guess we've gotta look for the bright spot in an otherwise dismal part of the Sox schedule.

He's also Batting something like .650 vs the Yanks for the whole year.

His numbers point out that there really is a legit reason to put up with Manny being Manny and they seem to dispell the whole idea of one guy being able to carry a team. At least not a team this heavy.:bricks:

Another example of how maniacally egotistical Red Sox management has become: I actually read the book "Feeding the Monster", the official account of the 03-05 seasons through the eyes of red Sox management. They don't have a single nice thing to say about Manny. Instead they consistently trash him, talking about him being overrated, not hustling. Never a mention of him winning MVP of the World Series, or his monstrous production, or his 17 game post season hitting streak (a major league record). The management team comes off as petty, arrogant and oblivious to what actually wins games: great players.

Last edited by a moderator:
PonyExpress said:
Another example of how maniacally egotistical Red Sox management has become: I actually read the book "Feeding the Monster", the official account of the 03-05 seasons through the eyes of red Sox management. They don't have a single nice thing to say about Manny. Instead they consistently trash him, talking about him being overrated, not hustling. Never a mention of him winning MVP of the World Series, or his monstrous production, or his 17 game post season hitting streak (a major league record). The management team comes off as petty, arrogant and oblivious to what actually wins games: great players.

Really sad when you consider that this could be the best 3-4 combo in history (at least recent history) and during their prime the sox FO with the 2nd higheest payroll in baseball is "building for the future"

You have to admit Theo has acted strangely since the World Series. At press conferences he constantly references the burden of his "personal celebrity" like any of us care that teenage girls screech for him. What a burden! Then you throw in his bizarre "Hamlet/to be or not to be" exit last offseason, the idea of "building for the future" in Schilling's last good year, the ridiculously bad moves, the rock n' roll wannabe act. It all adds up to a young guy mishandling his celebrity and suffering from some serious delusion.

I wouldn't look at 'building for the future' as some vague possibility. The youngun's are likely to be markedly better next year, and say what you will about Beckett, but he slapped the Yankees around on the biggest stage Baseball has, and he's way too young to think his problems are age-related. That means they aren't likely permanent. Don't forget the early concerns about him spending 1/2 the season on the DL. His blister issues seem to be resolved.

Manny and David aren't that old. I know it sounds like a cliche, but next year really does promise to be better, and this year ain't over quite yet.

Who are the young guns? Del Carmen is a marginal big leaguer, and Hanson has demonstarted zilch. Maybe he'll be better next year; maybe not. Papelbon won't be any better next year than he was this year. Lester is an unproven commodity with a 5+ ERA. I'm sorry, but with Theo's track record for finding pitching i have no confidence in his judgment either about our young guys or potential free agents. I just saw the best 3-4 hitters since Ruth and Gehrig wasted by incompetent management. Manny will be 35 next year, by the way. Even his bat speed will eventually slow down.

Hansen and Lester are each 22. I know Lester's hair makes him look like a 35 yr old, but trust me. Delcarmen's a ripe old 24. Clemens pitched all of 8 innings in the majors the season he was 22. I'm glad the Sox didn't give up on that late bloomer:rolleyes:

Lets not forget about Willy Mo. It wasn't long ago that Ortiz's stock was dramatically lower than his, mainly because he struck out as often and didn't have nearly as much power.

PonyExpress said:
By my accounts he has been at the plate 19 times in this series against the yankees. He has 8 hits, 8 walks, and reached base on 2 errors. That amounts to 18 times on base out of 19 times up in a 5 game stretch. This has got to be an all-time record. Absolutely incredible.
If you want to start searching the record books, you first have to throw out the 2 errors. He doesn't get credit for reaching base safely in those instances. So that makes him 16 out of 19, which is a fantastic stretch but not exactly going to rewrite the record books.

QuiGon said:
If you want to start searching the record books, you first have to throw out the 2 errors. He doesn't get credit for reaching base safely in those instances. So that makes him 16 out of 19, which is a fantastic stretch but not exactly going to rewrite the record books.
Manny went to the plate 20 times in 5 straight games and made ONE out. Errors don't change that fact.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back