PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manny & Boras spell trouble !

cupofjoe1962

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Manny just changed agents. He is now a Scot Boras client.

This is not good news in my eyes.

Manny's contract expires at the end of the 2008 season and the sox hold
an option for 20 million per season for 2009, & 2010.

Manny had given the indication that he wants the Sox to pick up his option.

Now that he is with Boras, I have a feeling that he is going to want to
hit the open market.

Boras will not make any money unless he get's Manny on the market.
Knowing Boras has Manny's ear is not positive situation and it makes me fear
the worse !

:rocker:

Yeah, that is curious.. Since it's the Red Sox option for the next 2 seasons, Manny's timing in getting rid of his agent (I think his name was Genske) and hiring this fool Boras is very strange.. Boras has been getting a lot of bad publicity these days.. the blunder with A-Rod, and now he's getting trashed by Sheffield.. What can be going on in that small mind of Manny's? I'm sure we'll all find out..

Last edited:
Agents do more than just negotiate contracts with teams. Boras might just have convinced him that he could turn "Manny being Manny" into a licensing goldmine.

I'm not too worried because Manny/Boras has no leverage. The Sox have the options. Boras can inject drama but can't really change the situation very much.

Then again, I would never have imagined the Yankees would pay A-Rod $305 million and strut like they won the negotiation. You never know what Boras can pull off.

I don't see how this makes a difference either way. The ball is in their court regardless of what happens, so Boras really has no real say in the matter.

I don't see how this makes a difference either way. The ball is in their court regardless of what happens, so Boras really has no real say in the matter.

Your right, except we are talking about Manny Ramirez.
It is not out of the question for Manny to fake and injury and sit out
the last six weeks of the year just so the Sox will not pick up his option.

Manny being Manny is basicly Manny being all about Manny !

Last edited:
Other than speculation from Dan Shaughnessy, there is no reason to believe that Manny has ever faked an injury. But even if he does want to do that how will that be a good move? Even in the inflated FA market its a pretty big risk to expect to make more than $20M, especially while missing significant time with injury in each of the last 3 seasons.

Manny is certainly all about Manny, which is why it would be a smarter move to play extremely well so he ensures $20M in 2009.

Agents do more than just negotiate contracts with teams. Boras might just have convinced him that he could turn "Manny being Manny" into a licensing goldmine.

I'm not too worried because Manny/Boras has no leverage. The Sox have the options.

There is something strange going on here.. If Manny's smart, he just goes out and has a great year.. Boras would seem to just bring more distractions.. I'm stumped as to why he has done this..

Manny probably won't even make it through the season with Boras as his agent.

Other than speculation from Dan Shaughnessy, there is no reason to believe that Manny has ever faked an injury. But even if he does want to do that how will that be a good move? Even in the inflated FA market its a pretty big risk to expect to make more than $20M, especially while missing significant time with injury in each of the last 3 seasons.

Manny is certainly all about Manny, which is why it would be a smarter move to play extremely well so he ensures $20M in 2009.

I have to agree with Foley. First on the fact that you shouldn't believe something just because Shank says it (if anything I'm inclined to disbelieve him), second on the fact that faking an injury would be dumb because it would lower Manny's value. You don't want to enter free agency with teams saying "he got injured again last year."

Manny linking up with Boras does not spell trouble. Boras, I believe, represents more Red Sox players that any other agent. That item is a positive. Scott Boras and Theo Epstein both have a mutual respect for each other. That item is a positive. The Red Sox hold the leverage card with respect to Manny's contract. That item is a positive. Manny is on the back nine heading to hole #14 of his career, with a salary of $20M + per year. That item is a positive. Bottom line: Manny is more afraid of the Red Sox not picking up the addtl. years at $20M, versus the thoughts of Boras brokering a Deion Branch type hostage routine in Sept. where Manny hints of an injury that may or may not be season-ending. Manny's hiring of Boras is more to garner Brownie points with Theo, with the hopes his karma with Boras, the uber agent with a stable of fellow Sox players, will melt the Sox GM to pick-up the option years before Manny has to face reality in the Open Market.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back