PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manny and Johnny Together Again

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
How sweet ... manny and johnny together again as Rays in Florida.

Sports digest: Johnny Damon, Manny Ramirez agree to one-year deals with Tampa Bay Rays - San Jose Mercury News

... and the litle piggie once again cries wee wee wee all the way home.

A person familiar with the negotiations tells The Associated Press Johnny Damon and Manny Ramirez have agreed to one-year contracts with the Tampa Bay Rays.

Damon gets $5.25 million and the chance to earn $750,000 in bonuses based on attendance, the person said. Ramirez gets $2 million. Both deals are pending physicals.

Both are returning to the American League East where both once starred for the Boston Red Sox and Damon four more years with the New York Yankees after four seasons in Boston.

Last edited:
Smart move if you ask me

Although I think Damon's $5 mil is on the high side, he and/or Manny might have something left in the tank, and at the very least should serve as a draw for attendance and interest

Even with Manny's history, its a low risk high reward scenario

haha, those two have ripped off another team. They are both done and i dont know why they are still employed.

Those two are certainly on the decline, but done I don't know. I think they are excellent signings for the Rays. Worst case they really show their age, and don't produce at the level hoped. If so, you release, trade, or walk away from them at the end of the year. However, for $7-8 million they could get a middle of the order bat in Manny, and a solid top of the order guy in Damon. Think about the absurd money teams have tossed out there this year. The money invested here, on these players, is a good risk if you ask me. Manny could easily give them what Pena did, if not more. Damon clearly won't replace Crawford, but he'll be better than whatever they have now. I really like these moves for the Rays.

Another thing to consider is that either player could end up being compensatory free agents at seasons end, which could net Tampa draft picks, or they could be players teams trade for at the deadline. They're each on 1 year deals for short money. If Tampa isn't contending, and these guys are having decent seasons, Tampa could get something for them.

Seems to me they would have been better off keeping some of their bullpen intact with the money spent on Damon. They could have kept Benoit and made him their closer for the same money they are paying Damon per year - and locked Benoit up for three years.

Now they're going short term rentals; that's what got them into so much trouble for their first ten years. I know they need a bat or two to protect Longoria but this seems rather odd to me; you would think they would have learned their lesson and used the limited amount of budget they have on signing younger players.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back