PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning's rep cemented??

Status
Not open for further replies.

onegameatatime

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
People look to the John Elway example -- couldn't win the SB until late in his career, but did Elway lose a SB where Denver was favored? (maybe against Washington)

Manning apologists have come up with ever excuse, but what is it going to be this year. Colts had:

#1 seed
playing #6 seed
in a dome
against a non-dome team
favorable defensive rules on illegal contact
Manning has 3 pro bowl players on offense
3 pro bowl players on defense
No significant starter in IR!!!
No significant players missing for the game (?)
The benefit of two really bad calls (the no-interference and the no-interception)

And then in and after the game:

weak offense
bad on-field decision-making at the end trying to be a big hero rather moving the team down with the time outs to better position
throwing his O-line under the bus after the game

You forgot 'having his daddy make excuses for him'.

moron sissy boy's rep was cemented log ago.

when he speaks, I hear the theme from 'deliverance'.

there could not be a human with less dignity.

Where's Tony Collins when you need him? He must defend Manning & the Colts honor!

I give it 30 minutes. :D

I root against Manning as hard as the next guy, but he may only be half way through his career. I'm with ya, it's fun to root against him - just like it was fun to root against Marino. But I cheer against him because he's good, darn good!

It's too early to judge. And even if Peyton should end his career without a championship, he'll still go down as one of the greatest.

I cheer against Goober because he always has an excuse, it's never his fault. Plus he's part of the Colts organization who has Polian, another person who always has excuses.

He gets happy feet come play off time.

Well

There is one major difference between PM, Elway, and Marino: Marino and Elway actually went to a Superbowl early in their career-------PM has yet to even make an appearence!

onegameatatime said:
People look to the John Elway example -- couldn't win the SB until late in his career, but did Elway lose a SB where Denver was favored? (maybe against Washington)

A better question is did Elway ever lose a SB where he had a running game.

Elway never did it till he got a running game.

Manning has had that his entire career!

Manning is surrounded by far more talent on offense then Elway was as well!

onegameatatime said:

Manning apologists have come up with ever excuse, but what is it going to be this year. Colts had:

#1 seed
playing #6 seed
in a dome
against a non-dome team
The benefit of two really bad calls (the no-interference and the no-interception)

weak offense
bad on-field decision-making at the end trying to be a big hero rather moving the team down with the time outs to better position

Well if his rep isn't his feet certainly should be!!! :bricks:

mtbykr said:
There is one major difference between PM, Elway, and Marino: Marino and Elway actually went to a Superbowl early in their career-------PM has yet to even make an appearence!

I know most people probably heard this, but for those who haven't, Peyton Mannings next playoff start will make him the QB with the most playoff starts before reaching the superbowl. I guess there is one major difference between PM and every other QB to ever play the game.

FSUPatsFan said:
I know most people probably heard this, but for those who haven't, Peyton Mannings next playoff start will make him the QB with the most playoff starts WITHOUT reaching a superbowl. I guess there is one major difference between PM and every other QB to ever play the game.

Fixed it :p

re:

Peyton Manning, when all is said and done, will not be among the all-time top 5 quarterback lists.

Please don't compare him to John Elway or Dan Marino. John Elway took the Broncos to the Superbowl 5 times. The first three times they were destroyed, but the Broncos had no business even being there in some of those years if it weren't for Elway.

Marino went to the Superbowl in his second season, and after that played on teams that were nowhere as good as Peyton's.

Peyton Manning has a history of choking going back to his high school days.

Why do Colts fans refuse to acknowledge this?

maverick4 said:
Peyton Manning, when all is said and done, will not be among the all-time top 5 quarterback lists.

Please don't compare him to John Elway or Dan Marino. John Elway took the Broncos to the Superbowl 5 times. The first three times they were destroyed, but the Broncos had no business even being there in some of those years if it weren't for Elway.

Marino went to the Superbowl in his second season, and after that played on teams that were nowhere as good as Peyton's.

Peyton Manning has a history of choking going back to his high school days.

Why do Colts fans refuse to acknowledge this?

I believe the guys from CHFF would disagree with you on Marino. I remember an analysis showing rather convincingly a long record of underachievement in the playoffs.

onegameatatime said:

#1 seed
playing #6 seed
in a dome
against a non-dome team

weak offense
Much as I dislike the guy, I have to say, "no, his reputation is not cemented." He will always have the possibility of redeeming it until his playing days are over.

I'll bet that the media will be back to gushing over him next year.

PATSNUTme said:
I'll bet that the media will be back to gushing over him next year.
You may be right, but there is something about this time that seems different. It's like the media has finally realized what a choker he is. And what a whiny pain in the *** he is as well.

BradyisGod said:
You may be right, but there is something about this time that seems different. It's like the media has finally realized what a choker he is. And what a whiny pain in the *** he is as well.

I don't know, whether its Dr. Z or PTI, people are starting to change there tunes back to defending Manning, especially since he has gotten so much criticism over the weekend (all deserved by the way). It's like people started to realize they may have gone too far in their criticisms (I don't think they have gone far enough). Manning is like Favre at this point, the media may point out one or two bad things but the media will not turn on them completely. I am not sure why they refuse to go after Manning, I mean, has anyone looked so disgusted with there team so consistently as Manning? Has anyone so completely emasculated his coach during a game? Has anyone thrown their own teammates under the bus after a huge playoff loss? Has anyone ever come up so short considering his potential? Yet he'll remain the NFL's dandy as long as he throws 3 touchdowns a game against the Cardinals and Browns of the league. Peter King said yesterday that he would bet anyone that Manning would win 2 Super Bowls over the next nine years. I would take that bet in a second.

MDPATSFAN said:
He gets happy feet come play off time.

I heard it explained that with guys like Brady and Elway, the game slows down for them in the playoffs. With Manning in pressure games, the game speeds up drastically.

It's interesting to hear others now say Manning isn't money. We've been saying that for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back