PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning will be named MVP in the biggest travesty in award history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't we already know that the writers tailor the 'important categories" and "true meaning of the award" to what ever best suits manning. One year it's the stats, the next year it's his team won more games, another year it's because he has no defense, because he's coming back from an injury (like there isn't already an award for that), and the classic "well, no one else really stood out, so Manning by default". At this point they should just call it the Peyton Manning award that only gets handed out to someone else if they managed to single-handedly solve all of the worlds problems. That is, if they didn't already assume it was really Manning behind the scenes...

But yes, who really does care. It's a meaningless award handed out by writers. It isn't even a judgment of their own peers. Brady will gladly take the Lombardi will all the idiots writers continually ballwash Manning.

I truly believe that Brady is on fire emotionally on the field because he wants that MVP award. He'd never say it in the media but he wants it.

I really don't think so. That doesn't seem like the kind of guy he is; one who gets excited over individual accolades. He'd probably like it, sure, but I don't think that's why he's doing what he does on the field. I think what he really wants is that fourth ring that has eluded him.

Last edited:
LOL. I guess you're entitled to your opinion.

So are you. In this case, though, my point's pretty easy to make:

Ryan's leading the #1 team in the NFC. He beat Manning head-to-head, and he hasn't lost at home.

Gore's averaging 4.9 ypc for a team that everyone knows is a run first team, and he's also his team's 4th leading receiver. He's the poor man's Peterson this year.

And how many MVP's have been on a SB winning Team???anybody:confused:

Last edited:
AP = MVP? No? :cool:

I hope Peyton wins the award. I truly believe that Brady is on fire emotionally on the field because he wants that MVP award. He'd never say it in the media but he wants it. Peyton winning the MVP will only turn Brady into a man posessed in the playoffs ala 2004 in the "cut that meat game". call me stupid or superstitious but I feel that if Peyton wins the MVP, we win the superbowl.

Your theory has merit, but I think whether or not we are hungover and happy on Feb. 4 has more to do with the rushing game and the defense than it does TB12 winning an award.

Thank goodness that's just a meaningless correlation and not a product of causation, then, huh?

Peyton Manning coming back from a severe neck injury and playing great pretty much automatically makes him the MVP on some of these idiots' minds. They're making the "Comeback Player of the Year" argument for him to win MVP. Brady has played against better teams, and has had better results. Also, once again, I'd like for one media person to answer me this: Tim Tebow had a 7-4 record with the Broncos last year, and led them all the way to the playoffs, defeating the Steelers in Pittsburgh. What would have happened if Brady went down, and Tim Tebow quarterbacked the Patriots last season? Would they win 3 games? These dip****s are quick to bring up the "11-5 with Cassel" argument at every turn, but what about the success Tebow, who's about the 40th best QB in the league, had with this very same Broncos team? That doesn't count against Manning? It's just hilarious.

Post season awards are a whole other animal, as Peyton's legions always remind us.

The league MVP is a regular season award and unfortunately for Peterson it should be off limits for guys whose individual efforts simply don't help get a team remotely into contention for the post season. Want to name him OPOY based on his individual performance, have at it.

As for Comeback POY that seems to vary from coming back from self imposed suckitude to overcoming career threatening injury. Players routinely come back from ACL surgery these days. Manning came back from uncharted territory and got cut and had to start over with a whole new outfit. He deserves the award. Or they could split it as they did when Tedy came back from a friggin stroke.

Brady deserves the MVP by every measure this season. Probably deserved it last season on principle based on getting a team with no outside threat or serious running threat and that defense to a Superbowl. But the media just hates having to bestow these awards on him. So they went with the viable alternative, a guy with a better TD to INT ratio. They move the goalposts on Brady regularly. Just like in 2004 when he should have won his third Superbowl MVP but unable to hand it to TO they chose to give it to one of Tom's targets - not because he scored because he didn't but because he tied Jerry Rice's reception record. Tom found his scorers in that game elsewhere.

It's all about storylines with these idiots, and the guy they all missed is never their first choice as storyline. Any more than his HC they can't stand is. Don't remind them.

Manning has 10 INTs vs. Brady's 4? IDK...

The MVP race will be decided this Sunday by how the two perform. For right or wrong. Brady should have a huge lead over him by this point but doesn't.

To this point, against elite competition (I will define as division leaders):

Manning
Record: 0-3
PPG: 21*
TD/INT: 6TD, 3 INT*

*Over half of those points, and 4 of Manning's TDs, came in what was effectively garbage time after he got into a huge deficit

Brady
Record: 2-1
PPG: 34
TD/INT: 6TD, 0 INT; 1 RUSHING TD

Last edited:
So are you. In this case, though, my point's pretty easy to make:

Ryan's leading the #1 team in the NFC. He beat Manning head-to-head, and he hasn't lost at home.

Gore's averaging 4.9 ypc for a team that everyone knows is a run first team, and he's also his team's 4th leading receiver. He's the poor man's Peterson this year.

Manning's numbers are similar to Brady's and he's doing it without the advantage of continuity that other leading MVP candidates have due to him playing with completely new teammates.

His team is 10-3 and while they did struggle earlier in the year just like the Pats did, they have won 8 in a row. You can't fault him for the opponents they've played during their current streak. Winning 8 straight games in the NFL is pretty damn impressive.

I'm partial to Brady, but this talk that Manning is behind Gore and Watt is silly. The idea that Manning winning the MVP would be a travesty as the premise of this thread suggests is even sillier.

I think the last was Kurt Warner in 1999 (the "stretch" game). He won it again in 2001, but we spoiled his party in the SB.

Manning's numbers are similar to Brady's and he's doing it without the advantage of continuity that other leading MVP candidates have due to him playing with completely new teammates.

His team is 10-3 and while they did struggle earlier in the year just like the Pats did, they have won 8 in a row. You can't fault him for the opponents they've played during their current streak. Winning 8 straight games in the NFL is pretty damn impressive.

I'm partial to Brady, but this talk that Manning is behind Gore and Watt is silly. The idea that Manning winning the MVP would be a travesty as the premise of this thread suggests is even sillier.

Continuity? This season Manning has had a more continuous group on his offense than the Patriots with injuries and signings/releases.

Winning 8 straight games is impressive!! So is winning 7 straight while also beating playoff teams.

What's silly is your argument. Of course, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. The irony of you belittling the candidacy of Gore and Watt while pimping Manning is truly beautiful stuff, too.

He's playing on a team that won a playoff game with Tim Tebow last season, and he's running the same exact offense he has always run during his career. If anyone had to adapt, it was the Broncos offense to Manning, not the other way around. They have a great offensive line, and two 6'4 4.40 guys on the outside, how much adapting was needed, really? Aside from that, the old Colts offense that they run isn't predicated that much on the receiver and the QB seeing the same thing, like it is in New England. It's about precision and execution. The WR goes into a play knowing exactly what he has to do, there are far less adjustments on the fly than on other offensive systems. Remember when the Colts lined up Wayne on the left side of the field and Harrison on the right for the whole game? When did you see any of those guys on the backfield or even playing the slot? It's a relatively simple offense for receivers to run.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back