PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning vs. Brady Weapons Comparison

Nice list, but it's like proving that Kate Upton is hotter than Hillary Clinton. It's so obvious that it doesn't require evidence and research.

Compared to Manning the only consistent superior weapon Brady has had over his career is his ARM.

Just like Brady isn't going to complete every pass, Belichick isn't going to have 1-53 stocked with studs every year. Obviously there were a couple seasons where Belichick came up short in adding weapons to the offense - but how much do you hold it against him? I've called for Belichick to step up and do more on offense at times, but with the luxury of a 4th ring and the ability to see the whole body of work, how do you fault him? Over the long term - his approach has flat-out worked.

He has four rings to prove his philosophy and his discipline - stubborn at times to the point where we do go in with holes @ safety or WR or interior OL - over the long haul is the right way to go. Belichick sets values on guys, he doesn't overpay. He values some positions more than others. Rarely does he budge. Less disciplined teams flame out and do not enjoy the year to year success we have, nor the cumulative success.

That's a powerful and extraordinary chart. So many stories so decisively presented. I wouldn't mind some kind of comparison against all other playoff or Super Bowl teams over the last decade or so as well.

Just think about the genius it takes, hundreds of millions of dollars around 32 teams are thrown at the draft, and only Belichick can see the potential in some of these players (including Brady), and only Brady can use them.

Oh, is Manning v Brady still a thing ?

I'm going to look into my crystal ball. In many decades, if I am still alive, I will be trying to explain to a young football fan that there actually was a debate about which of the two was the better NFL QB.

Fantastic work! I've been making this argument for years; it's not only pedigree (in the form of draft round) but also consistency...'01-'06 Manning relied heavily on 1st rounder Harrison (six of the top fifteen targets over his career). '02-'10--with five years of overlap with Harrison--Manning had 1st rounder Wayne (eight of the top 23). 1st rounder Demaryius was the constant from '12-'14, with three of the top-10 totals.

That's three 1st rounders, spanning 13 seasons (01-14, minus the lost 2011), with 17 of the top 23 targets in Mannings career. The other six targets in the top-23 are Decker (twice), Sanders, Clark, Welker and Garcon--and Sanders was a 2nd, Decker a 3rd.

Eight guys, three first rounders, one second, one UDFA, and three 1st rounders were 'binkies' that formed a continuous stretch, with some overlap, from 2001-2014.

Compare that to the top-23 on Brady's list:
Welker (UDFA) five times, '07-'12
Gronk (2nd) twice recently
Moss (1st) twice mid
Edelman (7th) twice recently
Brown (7th) twice early
Patten (UDFA) twice early
Givens (7th) twice early-mid
Branch (2nd) twice early-mid
Lafell, Hernandez, Caldwell and Lloyd all on the list once.

Twelve guys, one first rounder, two 2nd rounders, 3 UDFA, one 8th, two 7th, and after Welker the longest stretch is two years by multiple players.

Clark was also a 1st round pick

That's easy for me to do. Everything you see there is from an excel spread sheet. I can even send a copy to whoever is interested. You can then play with the numbers however you like
I'm interested. Please either post it out here or send it as a personal message on the board. Thanks.

Manning vs Brady _2 (1).jpg
I'm interested. Please either post it out here or send it as a personal message on the board. Thanks.

Updated by round picked.

Yellow highlights if the player came from another program.

Last edited:
Once again.....this graph is based on each QB's top three targeted WR's & top two TE's per season. Brady actually has a bunch of seasons where the #3 & #4 WR's were very close in targets.

Manning with 4 guys coming from other teams
Brady with 17

Reference:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye