PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning Over Brady For All Decade Team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, last I looked Tom Brady had better career stats in 2 relevant categories:

- QB rating on grass
- QB rating on turf

Gives one pause to think. :eek:

Yeah, yet Manning still has over 130 more TD's, 20,000 more yards. 64 more games started a better TD percentage and a better YA percentage. He averages more yards per season and more TD's per season than Brady.

Brady's numbers are skewed, because of one season, 2007. He's got 7 seasons of data vs Manning's 11. Manning also started his rookie season, which Brady did not. Manning also had to do more his first few seasons than Brady. Brady had a D which was one of the best in the league, he didn't have to put up 30 points to win.

Oh, and Brady has a better rating on grass and turf?

Manning still has the better overall rating. He also had a better rating than Brady did in their record breaking years. Brady threw 80 more passes to get one more TD.

Gives one pause to think huh?

Brady is great, if I was a Pats fan I'm sure I'd agree with you about him being better.

But I'm a Colts fan. IMO Manning is better. Just like 49er fans think Joe Mo was the best. Dolphins fans believe Marino was the best. Baltimore Colts fans think Unitas was the best etc etc etc etc.

And You want to talk about PS stats and Manning not being able to beat the Chargers? As I've posted earlier take a look at Brady's stats VS Mannings for the last two times they played the Chargers in the PO's.

Brady played like crap, both games. throwing 2 TD's and 3 INTs both games.

Manning played pretty well both games.

The Colts lost both games. The Patriots won both games. It's a team sport. There are 22 guys on the field at a time.

I've heard people on here saying that the league MVP should do more. Brady was MVP in 2007. His team was 18-0 and on the cusp of history. He had the greatest offense in the history of the game yet was shut down in the SB. Remember when he laughed when Plax said they'd only score 17 points? Off by 3.

And remember 2006 when Brady faded the second half and Manning destroyed the Pats on the way to the SB? Manning has beaten the Pats 4 out of the last 5.

Want to talk about underachieving? The Pats have the best record over the last decade right? According to a lot of you here, they have the greatest ever QB (Manning, Montana, Marino, Unitas, Elway, and a few others would disagree), the greatest ever coach (although he's nowhere near Shula IMO) and the greatest receiver (guess you guys never heard of Jerry Rice) Yet they haven't won since 2004.

Both Manning and Brady are great QB's and the topic has been beaten to death and this is a Pats board so the chances of actually having an intelligent conversation on the subject are just about zero, but you're fooling yourselves if you really think it's no contest.

Yeah, yet Manning still has over 130 more TD's, 20,000 more yards. 64 more games started a better TD percentage and a better YA percentage. He averages more yards per season and more TD's per season than Brady.

Brady's numbers are skewed, because of one season, 2007. He's got 7 seasons of data vs Manning's 11.

As for having greater number of TDs and yards, you said yourself that Manning has 4 more seasons than Brady. As for percentages, yes, Peyton's are better, and no doubt make him an elite. But...and this has been pointed out by many posters throughout the thread, yet you so far haven't addressed it...these are regular season stats, no? How does the picture look if you factor in post-season stats? I'm not challenging you, I'm asking. Because I'm sure you'll agree, post season performance is of great significance. Can we see a comparison with post season stats included? And also scale these stats to account for Peyton having 4 more seasons than Brady.

Both Manning and Brady are great QB's and the topic has been beaten to death and this is a Pats board so the chances of actually having an intelligent conversation on the subject are just about zero, but you're fooling yourselves if you really think it's no contest.

Well, despite what homers and trolls from both sides may claim, it IS very much a contest, and a close one too IMO, otherwise it would have never streched on so long. I think Pats fans have the upper hand simply due to Brady's greater # of rings. Yes, other stats are obviously important, but this is universally regarded as the one with the highest weightage. As you correctly point out, Manning's regular season's stats are superior to those of Brady's. But in a debate of greatest QB, you HAVE to consider post season stats, manning's 4 more seasons, and most importantly the number of lombardis. And when you do, the comparison becomes much less straightforward.

As for having greater number of TDs and yards, you said yourself that Manning has 4 more seasons than Brady. As for percentages, yes, Peyton's are better, and no doubt make him an elite. But...and this has been pointed out by many posters throughout the thread, yet you so far haven't addressed it...these are regular season stats, no? How does the picture look if you factor in post-season stats? I'm not challenging you, I'm asking. Because I'm sure you'll agree, post season performance is of great significance. Can we see a comparison with post season stats included? And also scale these stats to account for Peyton having 4 more seasons than Brady.

Well, despite what homers and trolls from both sides may claim, it IS very much a contest, and a close one too IMO, otherwise it would have never streched on so long. I think Pats fans have the upper hand simply due to Brady's greater # of rings. Yes, other stats are obviously important, but this is universally regarded as the one with the highest weightage. As you correctly point out, Manning's regular season's stats are superior to those of Brady's. But in a debate of greatest QB, you HAVE to consider post season stats, manning's 4 more seasons, and most importantly the number of lombardis. And when you do, the comparison becomes much less straightforward.

Playoff wise Manning has an 85 rating, Brady has an 88. Manning has a 7.5 YA, Brady has a 6.6. Brady has a slightly better completion percentage. Manning has 4208 yards Brady has 3954 in two more games. Brady has 4 more TDs Manning has 5 more INTS.

The only real advantage Brady has over Manning in the PO's is number of INTs and Manning threw 7 of his INTs in two games.

Like I keep saying, like others have said, they both are great. Who you consider better is down to which team you root for and despite all the guys here saying "it's no contest", yeah, it kind of is.

Playoff wise Manning has an 85 rating, Brady has an 88. Manning has a 7.5 YA, Brady has a 6.6. Brady has a slightly better completion percentage. Manning has 4208 yards Brady has 3954 in two more games. Brady has 4 more TDs Manning has 5 more INTS.

The only real advantage Brady has over Manning in the PO's is number of INTs and Manning threw 7 of his INTs in two games.

Like I keep saying, like others have said, they both are great. Who you consider better is down to which team you root for and despite all the guys here saying "it's no contest", yeah, it kind of is.

Here's what it comes down to. At the end of the day you Colts fans can hold on to all of your precious stats because that's what your good at. When it comes to the playoffs who delivers more? Who's done more with less talent around them?

Last edited:
They're both great players. They're both headed to the Hall of Fame. It really depends on what criteria you want to use to determine who is "best."

Football is the ultimate team sport, which makes individual player rankings very difficult, and debatable. Baseball is essentially one-on-one: the pitcher versus the the hitter. Yes, I know there are other factors like fielding, throwing, who else is in your lineup, but a baseball player has a lot more control over his stats than a football player. A basketball player represents 20% of his team; he either does or does not make a shot, and the same hold true when he is on defense. Sure there's other factors like rebounding, passing, and your teammates, but again it is a lot easier to judge individual players.

It would be easy to defend either one of these players as the "best." I'll just throw out one more stat to consider: records in close games this decade.

Regular Season: Brady 61-15; Manning 73-30
Playoffs: Brady 13-2; Manning 6-6
Total: Brady 74-13; Manning 79-36

Obviously there are other factors as mentioned above since this is a team sport, but just wanted to add that to the discussion. More info on where I got those numbers here:
Best QB of the Decade Debate - New England Patriots Forums - PatsFans.com Patriots Fan Messageboard

They're both great players. They're both headed to the Hall of Fame. It really depends on what criteria you want to use to determine who is "best."

Football is the ultimate team sport, which makes individual player rankings very difficult, and debatable. Baseball is essentially one-on-one: the pitcher versus the the hitter. Yes, I know there are other factors like fielding, throwing, who else is in your lineup, but a baseball player has a lot more control over his stats than a football player. A basketball player represents 20% of his team; he either does or does not make a shot, and the same hold true when he is on defense. Sure there's other factors like rebounding, passing, and your teammates, but again it is a lot easier to judge individual players.

It would be easy to defend either one of these players as the "best." I'll just throw out one more stat to consider: records in close games this decade.

Regular Season: Brady 61-15; Manning 73-30
Playoffs: Brady 13-2; Manning 6-6
Total: Brady 74-13; Manning 79-36

Obviously there are other factors as mentioned above since this is a team sport, but just wanted to add that to the discussion. More info on where I got those numbers here:
Best QB of the Decade Debate - New England Patriots Forums - PatsFans.com Patriots Fan Messageboard

Yeah, and as shown by last year, when his team went 11-5 without him, the Patriots are not Tom Brady and Tom Brady isn't the Patriots. Just like the 49ers continued to be great when Joe Montana left.

This stuff about Brady not having talent is nonsense. The guy has always been surrounded by great talent, great coaches, and a great organization. I'm not trying to belittle Tom Brady, he's a great great QB, but the Patriots are more than Brady.

Winning in the NFL doesn't just come down to the better QB. Are you going to tell me Jeff Hostetller was better than Jim Kelly? Or Mark Rypien was better than Jim Kelly? Or (and I guess you could make an argument that he was, but I don't agree) Troy Aikman? Kelly lost to all those guys in the SB, but were they better QB's?

Elway lost 3 SB's in blowouts in the 80s and was for those of us who remember the late 80s early 90's, a punchline and considered a huge loser. Remember the jokes about Elway after the 90 SB when the 9ers destroyed the Broncos? He wins two SB's now many consider him the greatest ever. But Elway lost to Doug Williams, and Phil Simms. Are either of those guys better QB's than Elway?

I'm rambling but my point is, while the QB is the most important player on a football team he isn't the only one. You put Tom Brady or Peyton Manning or Joe Montana on the 2008 Lions and they still aren't going to make the POs.

The ultimate proof of wins not being an indicator of one players ability or skill is the Patriots last year. Brady was replaced by a guy who as you all are so fond of saying, was a 7th round pick and hadn't started a game since HS. He led the Pats to a 11-5 record and had the offense rolling.

Brady has 3 SB rings, Manning has 1 but saying that makes Brady a better QB is ridiculous. Otherwise you all are saying Terry Bradshaw is better than Tom Brady. Does anyone here believe that? I mean, Bradshaw as a winner, he has 4 SB rings. He must be better than Brady right?

Manning has 9 TD's in 2 games in the playoffs against the broncos........against everyone else, its 13 TD's and 16 INTS for a 74 rating

I'll take brady.........he has been so much more clutch and much more consistent

Yeah, and as shown by last year, when his team went 11-5 without him, the Patriots are not Tom Brady and Tom Brady isn't the Patriots. Just like the 49ers continued to be great when Joe Montana left.

something that would have never happened in the age of the salary cap.....teams can't afford steve youngs as backups

manning falls flat on his face too many times to be considered great

Brady has 3 SB rings, Manning has 1 but saying that makes Brady a better QB is ridiculous. Otherwise you all are saying Terry Bradshaw is better than Tom Brady. Does anyone here believe that? I mean, Bradshaw as a winner, he has 4 SB rings. He must be better than Brady right?

So now, what if Bradshaw's stats were very close to those of Brady's? In that case, wouldn't it be fair to rate Bradshaw as the better QB because of a) comparable stats (post season and no of season parity included) and b) 1 more ring?

something that would have never happened in the age of the salary cap.....teams can't afford steve youngs as backups

manning falls flat on his face too many times to be considered great

All right. I give up, but until Brady gets that 4th SB ring he's no Bradshaw.

Yeah, yet Manning still has over 130 more TD's, 20,000 more yards. 64 more games started
In four more years than Brady.

a better TD percentage and a better YA percentage. He averages more yards per season and more TD's per season than Brady.
When the majority of his career, Brady was throwing to the likes of Deion Branch, David Patten, and David Givens, instead of Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayn, and Dallas Clarke.

Brady's numbers are skewed, because of one season, 2007.
By your logic, Peyton's numbers are skewed by the 2004 season.

He's got 7 seasons of data vs Manning's 11.
And what relevance does this have?

Manning also started his rookie season, which Brady did not.
And again, what relevance does this have?

Manning also had to do more his first few seasons than Brady.
Like throw it to Marvin Harrison and hand the ball off to Edgerrin James?

Brady had a D which was one of the best in the league,
2001 - 24
2002 - 23
2003 - 7
2004 - 9
2005 - 26

Those are Brady's first five years.

How many years were they elite?

he didn't have to put up 30 points to win.
Look at the rankings above.

Oh, and Peyton had the talent around him to help him do it.

Oh, and Brady has a better rating on grass and turf?

Manning still has the better overall rating. He also had a better rating than Brady did in their record breaking years. Brady threw 80 more passes to get one more TD.
Brady was also playing outside during the winter and not in a dome.

Gives one pause to think huh?
Well, it should for you.

Brady is great, if I was a Pats fan I'm sure I'd agree with you about him being better.
Most people do.

But I'm a Colts fan. IMO Manning is better.
No one really cares.

Just like 49er fans think Joe Mo was the best.
Don't most people think so?

Dolphins fans believe Marino was the best.
They're Dolphins fans, they can't help themselves.

Baltimore Colts fans think Unitas was the best etc etc etc etc.
Aren't most of them are dead?

And You want to talk about PS stats and Manning not being able to beat the Chargers? As I've posted earlier take a look at Brady's stats VS Mannings for the last two times they played the Chargers in the PO's.
Also, take a look at the stat where the Pats beat them both times, the first being underdogs, and how the Colts lost twice, the first time with Billy Volek as the QB.

Brady played like crap, both games. throwing 2 TD's and 3 INTs both games.

Manning played pretty well both games.
But the important thing was, Brady didn't seem to choke and lose the games like someone we all know did.

The Colts lost both games. The Patriots won both games. It's a team sport. There are 22 guys on the field at a time.
But when you throw interceptions at critical times and lose the gae, it doesn't really matter about your stats.

I've heard people on here saying that the league MVP should do more. Brady was MVP in 2007. His team was 18-0 and on the cusp of history. He had the greatest offense in the history of the game yet was shut down in the SB. Remember when he laughed when Plax said they'd only score 17 points? Off by 3.
And in 2004 when Peyton had his great season with 49 TD passes, he lost in the first game of the playoffs to the Patriots. He didn't even score a point.

And remember 2006 when Brady faded the second half and Manning destroyed the Pats on the way to the SB?
So in what world is a score of 38 - 34 getting destroyed?

Manning has beaten the Pats 4 out of the last 5.
And Manning is also 4 - 7 against Brady all time.

Want to talk about underachieving? The Pats have the best record over the last decade right? According to a lot of you here, they have the greatest ever QB (Manning, Montana, Marino, Unitas, Elway, and a few others would disagree), the greatest ever coach (although he's nowhere near Shula IMO)
I want quotes about the coaches.

and the greatest receiver (guess you guys never heard of Jerry Rice)
And quotes about Moss too.

Yet they haven't won since 2004.
The Patriots have won 3 SB since 2001, the Colts have won 2 since 1970.

If you hate the Pats board so much, then why don't you leave?

You forgot the whole Brady has double the playoff wins that Manning has.

And the whole winning thing.

Again, if you think there is a contest, you clearly have something against sense and logic.

Yeah, and as shown by last year, when his team went 11-5 without him,
And the year before, Brady went 16 - 0. That's a five games lost.

That's the same as going from 11 - 5 to 6 - 10.

the Patriots are not Tom Brady and Tom Brady isn't the Patriots.
Did someone help you figure that out?

Just like the 49ers continued to be great when Joe Montana left.
Are you comparing Matt Cassell to Steve Young?

This stuff about Brady not having talent is nonsense. The guy has always been surrounded by great talent, great coaches, and a great organization.
I wouldn't go as far to say his talent was great, but they were good.

But Peyton's talent was better.

I'm not trying to belittle Tom Brady, he's a great great QB, but the Patriots are more than Brady.
Just like the Colts are more then Peyton.
And the 49ers were more than Montana and Young.
And the Broncos were more then Elway.

etc.

Winning in the NFL doesn't just come down to the better QB.
No, but it plays a huge part.

Are you going to tell me Jeff Hostetller was better than Jim Kelly? Or Mark Rypien was better than Jim Kelly? Or (and I guess you could make an argument that he was, but I don't agree) Troy Aikman?

Kelly lost to all those guys in the SB, but were they better QB's?

Elway lost 3 SB's in blowouts in the 80s and was for those of us who remember the late 80s early 90's, a punchline and considered a huge loser. Remember the jokes about Elway after the 90 SB when the 9ers destroyed the Broncos? He wins two SB's now many consider him the greatest ever. But Elway lost to Doug Williams, and Phil Simms. Are either of those guys better QB's than Elway?

I'm rambling but my point is, while the QB is the most important player on a football team he isn't the only one. You put Tom Brady or Peyton Manning or Joe Montana on the 2008 Lions and they still aren't going to make the POs.
The thing all of those QB's have in common is that they are chokers.

And when the greater QB discussion is at hand, choking does come into play.

The ultimate proof of wins not being an indicator of one players ability or skill is the Patriots last year. Brady was replaced by a guy who as you all are so fond of saying, was a 7th round pick and hadn't started a game since HS. He led the Pats to a 11-5 record and had the offense rolling.
And just imagine what would have happened if Brady wasn't injured.

Some could make that argument.

Last edited:
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."......refers to the persuasive power of numbers and the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments.

All right. I give up, but until Brady gets that 4th SB ring he's no Bradshaw.

Bradshaw had an entire career to get to 4. Brady has a long way and numerous rings to go.
Unfortunately for you, Manning will never win another playoff game.

This stuff about Brady not having talent is nonsense. The guy has always been surrounded by great talent, great coaches, and a great organization. I'm not trying to belittle Tom Brady, he's a great great QB, but the Patriots are more than Brady.

Winning in the NFL doesn't just come down to the better QB. Are you going to tell me Jeff Hostetller was better than Jim Kelly? Or Mark Rypien was better than Jim Kelly? Or (and I guess you could make an argument that he was, but I don't agree) Troy Aikman? Kelly lost to all those guys in the SB, but were they better QB's?

1) That was a 16-0 team in 2007 that deteriorated all the way to 11-5 without Brady.
2) All those QBs were better ON THAT DAY that the guys you are compaing them to. Over a career, a remarkable difference in winning shows that QB was better on a lot more days, hence a career.
3) If you put Tom Brady on the 2008 Lions, I dont know if they would make the playoffs or not, but I guarantee you if you put him there in 2001, theyd be making the playoffs in 2008. This 'team around you' crap is just that. Every great winning QB started on a terrible team. The circular argument that his supporting cast was better because he won, is stupid. The QB is most often the difference between winning and losing, and over an entire career, wins and loses separate QBs, not the stats they accumulated regardless of whether they led to wins or losses.
4) In another post you compared playoff stats. To leave out the difference between a 14-3 record and a LOSING 7-8 record is proof you don't even believe your own argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back