PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning leaving got me thinking: will Pats go through same with Brady in a few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Watching Peyton Manning leaving the Colts today in that emotional press conference makes me realize in a few years we'll be going through the same thing, except HOPEFULLY it'll be Brady's retirement, not release. We used to say, oh, he's not going to retire anytime soon so no worries. Well, now he's getting up there and the clock's ticking away. What do you guys think we'll do after Brady's gone?

(I'm not saying this could be his last year, I think he's still 3-5 years away from retiring. But then again, the 2007 season was that long ago, it goes FAST.)

What will they do? They will acquire another QB either through the draft or via trade. I do not think Mallett is the heir apparent. I actually think Brady's successor is probably a junior or senior in high school right now or a true freshman in the college ranks.

Last edited:
Watching Peyton Manning leaving the Colts today in that emotional press conference makes me realize in a few years we'll be going through the same thing, except HOPEFULLY it'll be Brady's retirement, not release. We used to say, oh, he's not going to retire anytime soon so no worries. Well, now he's getting up there and the clock's ticking away. What do you guys think we'll do after Brady's gone?

(I'm not saying this could be his last year, I think he's still 3-5 years away from retiring. But then again, the 2007 season was that long ago, it goes FAST.)

Come on...let's not look that far ahead just yet :cool:

I've been following this forum for a while and I finally decided to join. While I think Brady is still a very good QB, he doesn't have the same ability to cary the team like he did when he was younger. While I don't have any basis to make the prediction, I think he's probably gone after his contract is up. Let's hope we can win one more before he's gone!

While you certainly aren't my wife, you share a common trait.

Thinking is bad for you! :D

Enjoy it while it lasts because all things must end (good or bad).

As much of a bummer the 2007 and 2011 super bowls were, we need to remember something I've repeatedly said here: these are the good old days. The golden age of Patriots football. It is extremely difficult to imagine another time like this. Oh they may win another Super Bowl after Brady and Belichick, but I cannot fathom another lengthy run where, quite simply, they were the most dominant team in the league over such a long stretch of time. There have been other good teams, but my goodness...in 11 seasons they have set all kinds of records, won the most games, had a perfect regular season, been to 5 Super Bowls, won 3 of them, never had a bad season, not even when their star QB got hurt in game 1, and on and on.

If we cannot enjoy this run, we simply cannot ever enjoy pro football.

After Brady is gone, they'll field a competitive team, presuming BB is in charge and they have a competent QB. And they may have some terrific years. But it'll never be like this again. So have fun while it lasts!!

I live in the moment, let Bill worry about that and Ill just enjoy watching the all time greatest QB play the game.

Actually, although it's probably heresy, and very unlikely, I like to think that after finishing up the 2014 season and winning another superbowl, the Pats announce that a trade has been made sending Tom Brady to the new Los Angeles team in return for the first pick in the 2nd round. Brady might actually have some productive years after 2014, but the fact is, better a year too early than a year too late.

It won't matter if he spends his last two years at home in LA, he'll still be the most honored Patriot in franchise history.....and the 33rd pick in the draft has value.

Last edited:
Actually, although it's probably heresy, and very unlikely, I like to think that after finishing up the 2014 season and winning another superbowl, the Pats announce that a trade has been made sending Tom Brady to the new Los Angeles team in return for the first pick in the 2nd round. Brady might actually have some productive years after 2014, but the fact is, better a year too early than a year too late.

It won't matter if he spends his last two years at home in LA, he'll still be the most honored Patriot in franchise history.....and the 33rd pick in the draft has value.

Man...someone else threw that one at me a while ago as well recently so it's funny to hear you say that. I think part of it is going to be the level of play they're getting from him at that point and whether or not he's really being pushed by Mallet/whoever by then.

But again - I don't want to think that far ahead just yet. I'm just focused on next season (in my best Belichick-esque tone ;))

I imagine I am in the minority, but I think he will retire here. I think he will take another contract when this one is up at around a fair value in pursuit of history. The only basis I have for this thinking is rewatching "The Brady 8" a couple of weeks ago. As the end of the day, he is very appreciative of getting drafted at all, and I think he'll repay that by not trying to break the NE bank towards the tail end of his career.

Its very rare that it ends well for a superstar like Brady. Pretty much 3 categories to choose from:

The Elway - ride off after winning the super bowl

The Montana/farve (GB) - declining but still has some life however, the backup is a stud and is an upgrade even over a legend.

The Marino - Go out struggling. Just can't play anymore

The sad part is that more than likely Brady's career will end with him being on another team. Let's face it, there are many QBs who were FRANCHISE QBs that you never could imagine to be on another team and yet it happened (Montana, Favre, Manning, Bledsoe).

But sure, there were also guys like Dan Marino, Troy Aikman, and John Elway who played on only one team, but Brady is more apt to end up like Manning given the "Patriot's Way" of not holding onto guys for sentimental reasons.

It hit me like a sack of bricks today. The Pats Colts rivalry is over. And regardless of where forehead lands up it will not be the same.

There was a couple of times where I imagined Brady up at the podium and how I would feel and I didn't like it. I truly appreciate everything Brady has done up to this point. It's time to appreciate him even more now. "Nothing last's forever" so true.

It hit me like a sack of bricks today. The Pats Colts rivalry is over. And regardless of where forehead lands up it will not be the same.

There was a couple of times where I imagined Brady up at the podium and how I would feel and I didn't like it. I truly appreciate everything Brady has done up to this point. It's time to appreciate him even more now. "Nothing last's forever" so true.

ya, didn't think of this. manning gone, wayne (probably), Polian. Whats there to hate or even care about.

The sad part is that more than likely Brady's career will end with him being on another team. Let's face it, there are many QBs who were FRANCHISE QBs that you never could imagine to be on another team and yet it happened (Montana, Favre, Manning, Bledsoe).

But sure, there were also guys like Dan Marino, Troy Aikman, and John Elway who played on only one team, but Brady is more apt to end up like Manning given the "Patriot's Way" of not holding onto guys for sentimental reasons.

Bledsoe...LOL

The Patriot Way gets perverted here a lot. Troy, Tedy, Rodney, guys who were either realistic or productive get to retire here. I think Tommy will remain productive and as long as he is Bill will not choose to have another QB start here and when he's not Brady won't wallow in denial as some position players tend to and it would be harder to since only one QB gets to play unlike other positions where multiple guys start, rotate, backup or fill in. I think when he senses he may legitimately lose the competition he thrives on he will move on, but not to try and cling to another year or two with total strangers. He will go home and figure out what he wants to do with the rest of his life post football.

Barring injury, I think because of the cerebral nature of his game and the quality of these teams Bill manages to build pretty consistently Brady could easily play another 5 years.

I kind of want him to go to the CFL after he is done here, if he heads up north and wins a Grey Cup that would be a great close out to his career.

Well, since the Colts-Pats rivalry is over I'd say the biggest out-of-division rivalry is....Pittsburgh? Baltimore? I'd say we've established enough heated, close games with both teams for it to be considered somewhat of a rivalry, and we face them almost every year. (or at least one of them)

*Oh, and one last thing to say about the Colts-Pats rivalry, I think we won!! :singing: *

Manning leaving got me thinking

I thought I smelt something burning ;)

Well, since the Colts-Pats rivalry is over I'd say the biggest out-of-division rivalry is....Pittsburgh? Baltimore? I'd say we've established enough heated, close games with both teams for it to be considered somewhat of a rivalry, and we face them almost every year. (or at least one of them)

*Oh, and one last thing to say about the Colts-Pats rivalry, I think we won!! :singing: *

2001-2010(includes 2008)
regular season 6-4
playoffs 2-1

Yep, we won:singing::singing::singing:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes