PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning lays another playoff egg...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Colts won yesterday because their defense played tough, physical, swarming football. As much as you want to blame it on a weak Ravens, the Colts came to play. They are dangerous now because that type of play is something that they haven't done in past playoff games.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/01/13/colts.eagles/index.html

"In one of the biggest games of his pressurized nine-year NFL career, Peyton Manning played with the cool detachment of the greatest Colt of them all, Johnny Unitas, on Saturday. It wasn't anywhere near the best game of his life, but under the circumstances -- a playoff game in the city that now lives to hate the Colts, against a Baltimore defense that was both the most feared and top-rated in the NFL this season -- it was one of the most rewarding.

Colts 15, Revenge 6.

In beating the Ravens, the AFC's second seed, Manning showed how ridiculous a stat quarterback rating is, compiling a woeful 39.6 rating. But he completed 15 of 30 passes, was sacked only once and threw two interceptions (one a Hail-Mary sort of punt) while controlling the line of scrimmage throughout and taking away the Baltimore defense's aggressiveness. He outplayed his co-2003 MVP, Baltimore quarterback Steve McNair, who threw two terribly inopportune interceptions in Indianapolis territory.

"Stats mean nothing in a game like this,'' Indianapolis quarterback coach Jim Caldwell said. "Peyton controlled this game.''

It doesnt get any clearer. Welcome to reality Richter.

Pred, I don't think "b/c Peter King says so" is a real endorsement. These two arguments are mutually exclusive. Yes, the Colts are playing next week. Are they playing in large part b/c of what Peyton did, or the defense?

Actually, that would be a good exercise. Does everyone think the team won because the defense played to their best game, or b/c the offense did. I'm not talking about "doing enough to win", I'm talking about who you would give the nod to if you had to pick. I would be we would say the defense. That's all.

And Peter King - Cool Detachment? BULL****. Happy feet and two picks. And what an excuse on the second one.

He did enough to win the game. That is all that matters. Whatever his stats were or poor decisions he made do not matter because he is playing next week in the playoffs.

This thread has taken a really assinine pissing contest urn. But I think what most here were trying to say is the way Peyton is playing in the playoffs, which do continue for the next three weeks, does not bode well for Indy going forward. That they have been able to win as a team because the defense stepped up and the offense managed to do just enough, is all well and good. But the fact that they played two teams whose offenses were inept to say the least, is not to be overlooked. Had Peyton simply not played as central a role as in the past you could compare what they are doing to what we have done in the past. But Peyton has actually played poorly, not merely conservatively by design. Again, clearly threw 4 picks last night and the Ravens were only able to snare 2 through no fault but their own. They too have a player who has struggled throughout his career with the team game concept. And those two picks didn't really impact the game because their offense was so incredibly inept it couldn't have capitalized on pick 6.

Whether they play us or SD next week they will not be playing an inept offense. And they will be facing pretty much a similarly stiff defense. Peyton will have to play better or somebody in Indy will have tire tracks in the post game. They won last night in spite of Manning. Although had they not in fact chosen to overpay ;) for a kicker even Billick's inept offense might have prevailed in time.

i agree peyton played poorly last night but not many safties make that pick which ed reed makes .Secondly in the critical 4 th quarter protecting a 6 pt lead, he controlled the clock for 7+ mins to get the FG against a good defense..he does deserve some credit for that..
peyton played poorly but made plays when they were there...surely not upto the highest standard expects from the media all but enough to win , helped by his defense of course
as BB keeps saying, a QB's job is to manage the game and brady is the best at it. i never agree with people who keep saying that X just needs to manage the QB not to lose..
if brady played like that today and we won i will still say brady made plays against a good D and pulled out a win. In the playoffs most defenses are tough and are going to make some plays ,no matter how great one is.

Are you a Colts fan or a Patriots fan or neither? All your posts have to do with the Colts. Interesting.

What the heck? Just because I point out some facts that you disagree with you call me a Colts fan? Are you going to insult my mother next?

I cannot stand Peyton just like the rest of you but that doesn't mean you have to be a homer when someone talks about him. The fact is that he did not play his best game. The fact is that when the Colts needed him to step up, he did it. The fact is that he help put his team in scoring position 5 times. The fact is that he led his team in the last 7 minutes of the game to hold a comeback off. He made the plays the Colts needed to win the playoff game. Why is that such a big statement so you throw insults around?

Mo & SVN just approached my thoughts logically. Try reading their posts. It makes sense.

Why is it so difficult to throw HOMER out the window and analyze things in a fair and balanced way? Some of you just cannot put your bias aside and think logically.

Fact: Peyton won because he made enough plays (see last drive of the game), and we may have to face him next week. I would rather take my chances in Baltimore.

Even for his usual standard in the playoffs, Manning is playing really badly. His defense, for once, is bailing him out huge.

Actually, the offense and the quarterback play has been pretty bad in the playoffs overall so far. Outside of Brady and Pennington, I can't think of a QB who has played well.

Behind Brady, the 2nd best playoff QB is Drew Brees.
That guy is an amazing QB, and very smart with the football.

Pred, I don't think "b/c Peter King says so" is a real endorsement. These two arguments are mutually exclusive. Yes, the Colts are playing next week. Are they playing in large part b/c of what Peyton did, or the defense?

Actually, that would be a good exercise. Does everyone think the team won because the defense played to their best game, or b/c the offense did. I'm not talking about "doing enough to win", I'm talking about who you would give the nod to if you had to pick. I would be we would say the defense. That's all.

And Peter King - Cool Detachment? BULL****. Happy feet and two picks. And what an excuse on the second one.

You keep referencing Manning "happy feet" as in a negative way. This comes from your understanding of Drew Bledsoe and his happy feet. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING. Whether you like Peyton or not, he has always played the game this way. You can argue all you want that it affects his play, but that is simply not true. He didn't throw picks because of "happy feet." Drew did. I am not sure what point you keep trying to make by bringing it up.

Why did the Colts lose to the Steelers last year? Edgerrin James. 13 rushes for 56 yards. THIRTEEN RUSHES.

Why are the Colts winning this post season? Defense obviously. And add to that Peyton is handing the ball off. He's taking what the defense is giving him. Ravens wanted to have 2 safetys 20 yards down field? So be it. 32 rushes yesterday. 38 rushes against KC.

That's a different Peyton Manning. Years past he would have checked out of the run and tried forcing the football MORE than he is already.

Thought this was a bad post at the time, and now it is confirmed.

Brady 3 INTs and a Fumble, but guess what a W!

I thought Brady played even worse tonight than last yeat against the Broncos. I am so pumped he gets to "redeem" himself next week against the Indy.

How sweet it is!

...and gets bailed out because McNair played like a rookie, Billick coached like, well, Billick, and Ray Lewis knocks two more picks out of teammate's hands.

Nice holding call on Ogden. He'll probably get fined, too. :rolleyes:

And what was with blowing the pick/lateral dead?

I'll be up for tomorrow's game like it's the damn Superbowl.

I thought Brady played even worse tonight than last yeat against the Broncos. I am so pumped he gets to "redeem" himself next week against the Indy.

How sweet it is!

i actually agree partly..yes he played badly but made plays when given the opportunity ..and so did manning on SAT. so yes i guess both guys played well enough to win (i doubt anyone will say brady lays a playoff egg and costs his team the game on this board).
lets see how were fare against indy next week

How sweet it is!

Oh, for God's sake. Brady played like crap. His defense (and Troy) bailed him out and gave Brady one more chance to win the game, which he eventually did.

To sum up, Brady played like crap, except for the final six minutes or so, and the Pats still won. Manning played worse, and Indy won because of its defense.

A win doesn't necessarily mean everybody played well.

Honestly, the two aren't mutually exclusive. How hard a concept is that to grasp?

How do you think Brady himself thinks he played?

Oh, for God's sake. Brady played like crap. His defense (and Troy) bailed him out and gave Brady one more chance to win the game, which he eventually did.

To sum up, Brady played like crap, except for the final six minutes or so, and the Pats still won. Manning played worse, and Indy won because of its defense.

A win doesn't necessarily mean everybody played well.

Honestly, the two aren't mutually exclusive. How hard a concept is that to grasp?

How do you think Brady himself thinks he played?

alright sir..you win the argument.

alright sir..you win the argument.

There's no argument. Manning played awful, as he has a history of doing in the playoffs. No one's arguing that point; they're just turning it into "He won, and that's all that matters."

The team bailed him out, as it really doesn't have a history of doing. They got the win, which is definitely all that really matters, but it doesn't change the fact that he stunk up he joint.

For the record, Brady was terrible yesterday, outside of two minutes in the first and six minutes in the second. If they had lost, it definitely would have fallen on his shoulders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes