PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning lays another playoff egg...

Status
Not open for further replies.
145 yards & 1 TD when you're Trent Dilfer or Mark Rypien, the # 10 or 12 most important player on your team - no big deal.

When you put up those numbers as the highest paid player on your team and the most well known player in the league during the salary cap era - that stinks, even against a good defense.

145 yards & 1 TD when you're Trent Dilfer or Mark Rypien, the # 10 or 12 most important player on your team - no big deal.

When you put up those numbers as the highest paid player on your team and the most well known player in the league during the salary cap era - that stinks, even against a good defense.

I still disagree with this assessment. Had Manning put up those numbers today, I definitely would not agree with the assessment that he laid an egg. I likely would have said he was solid and efficient and won a tough, grind it out game. Considering the stats he did put up, and how he played during the course of the game, that is definitely not my evaluation, regardless of the Colts' win.

Ultimately, it comes down to one thing: The statement, "Player X had a bad game, but his team won" is logically consistent. The statement, "Player X had a bad game, but his team won, so he didn't have a bad game" is not.

Predator, what is your problem man?

If you want to continue to crap on Tom Brady it's your perogative. But the SB XXXVI performance was a fine one. Let's make clear that he was 16 for 27 which is a 60%. Peyton was 15 for 30 today. Exactly 50%.

Tom Brady in SB XXXVI never put his team in any danger by making any mistakes. 0 INT. Peyton threw 2 today. Much more danger of losing.

You are talking out of both sides of your mouth b/c on the one side you say Peyton was "good enough today", but you criticize Brady, when his performance was clearly better in SB XXXVI.

You are totally missing the point. I am not crapping on Brady at all. I am using him as an example. If Peyton did the same exact thing this thread would still exist.

How many "Brady Laid an Egg" threads have you seen here this year?

This is just stupid. It is one thing to be a Pats fan. Its another to be a home who cant face facts. 145 +1 TD is not solid. Tom winning his SB ring is spectacular. Could we have done it without him? No. Those are not the points.

Peyton led a 7 minute drive that ended in a feild goal today that put them up by two scores. He did what he had to do to win. It was not perfect. He won and will play next week.

I still disagree with this assessment. Had Manning put up those numbers today, I definitely would not agree with the assessment that he laid an egg. I likely would have said he was solid and efficient and won a tough, grind it out game. Considering the stats he did put up, and how he played during the course of the game, that is definitely not my evaluation, regardless of the Colts' win.

Ultimately, it comes down to one thing: The statement, "Player X had a bad game, but his team won" is logically consistent. The statement, "Player X had a bad game, but his team won, so he didn't have a bad game" is not.

There is no such thing as a bad game when you win a playoff game is the best logic because it is all that matters. Nobody remembers the stats because they dont matter. What is Marino's biggest problem?

I can't argue with a homer who avoids facts. 145 + 1 TD sucks. What QB in the NFL would keep his job if he threw 145 yards + 1 TD for every game of the season? That would be 2320 yards for the season which SUCKS. Please give up your smokes.

You seem to not comprehend what the word "evaluate" means. What one single thing that you have posted has shown any evaluation of Peyton's play today? Saying he had a bad day or layed an egg is not evaluation. A three year old could do that. I dunno, maybe he did.

You have not offered a single thing that has analyzed Peyton's performance.

You downplay the positives of that scenario.

If my quarterback threw for only 2320 yards and 16 touchdowns along with 0 Interceptions for the entire season. As well as engineering a drive that put my team in a position to win at the end of every game, I would be positively gleeful to have him.

Peyton had a 39 passer rating, he threw two interceptions (and that number could have been easily doubled), he could not manage a single touchdown and completed only half of his passes.

He laid an egg.

You are totally missing the point. I am not crapping on Brady at all. I am using him as an example. If Peyton did the same exact thing this thread would still exist.

This is just stupid. It is one thing to be a Pats fan. Its another to be a home who cant face facts. 145 +1 TD is not solid. Tom winning his SB ring is spectacular. Could we have done it without him? No. Those are not the points.

Peyton led a 7 minute drive that ended in a feild goal today that put them up by two scores. He did what he had to do to win. It was not perfect. He won and will play next week.

Aside from the fact that you ARE crapping on Brady, there isn't likely to be such a thread unless the team was losing. I saw plenty of posts bashing Brady this season, especially after that Dolphins loss. Saying 145 and a TD is solid is not homerism, even if you want to label it that. Saying "he did what he had to do to win" is disingenuous, period, because you could say that of any player on a winning team regardless of how bad they played. It's purely a case of semantics, where though the statement might be true by the strictest interpretation of the words, people are going to take it a totally different way, since it usually refers to a player who had a sub-par game but was still critical in achieving victory. If you think Peyton's performance was critical to the Colts achieving victory today, you need more help than anyone here can offer.

I see where you're going and I agree we would try to crap on Peyton no matter what.

I think one interesting thing is that Roethlisburger had an all time terrible SB performance. And, in my circles of friends, until he has a better legacy, that performance has stuck with him. You're right, no one can take the SB victory away from him, but I bet 6 times out of 10 when someone mentions Roethlisburger, my friends and I say, "man, what an awful Super Bowl performance".

I would bet that a cruddy performance in a SB might hang with Peyton too. People will forget a crappy postseason if you have an ok SB. But have a bad SB, and people will remember, win or lose.

There is no such thing as a bad game when you win a playoff game is the best logic because it is all that matters. Nobody remembers the stats because they dont matter. What is Marino's biggest problem?

The best logic? It's not even logic, it's your opinion. And you're hopeless, I've had my fill of this idiocy.

(BTW, you sure seemed to remember 145 and a TD.)

Aside from the fact that you ARE crapping on Brady, there isn't likely to be such a thread unless the team was losing. I saw plenty of posts bashing Brady this season, especially after that Dolphins loss. Saying 145 and a TD is solid is not homerism, even if you want to label it that. Saying "he did what he had to do to win" is disingenuous, period, because you could say that of any player on a winning team regardless of how bad they played. It's purely a case of semantics, where though the statement might be true by the strictest interpretation of the words, people are going to take it a totally different way, since it usually refers to a player who had a sub-par game but was still critical in achieving victory. If you think Peyton's performance was critical to the Colts achieving victory today, you need more help than anyone here can offer.

You are nothing but a homer. You have no understanding of reality. Take a long walk off a short pier.

The best logic? It's not even logic, it's your opinion.

I just love these fantasy football and madden video game guys who feel they understand what football is all about. Can you even draw an X or an O without a crayon?

I've had my fill of this idiocy.

Yes I agree you are full of yourself.

I love it how it is my opinion that winning the Sb is all that matters in football. That is great stuff.

Hey Homer, tell Marge I love what she has done with her hair.

The point I was trying to make is that when the Colts put such a large pecentage of their salary (cap) on one player, I would expect for that player to have a larger part of the victory.

The point I was trying to make is that when the Colts put such a large pecentage of their salary (cap) on one player, I would expect for that player to have a larger part of the victory.

I got that, but sometimes the gameplan or the circumstances of the game don't allow for production to correlate to price tag, so I allow for the fact that the highest paid player won't always produce in the expected manner. A couple picks and 50% completion percentage is never acceptable, though.

This thread is a riot. I hope the Colts don't have to keep apologizing for winning.

That's our job.:D

I don't think Brady has ever had a playoff game as bad as Manning had today.

I now for certian he has never had two games in a row in the playoffs where he threw 5 interceptions!

I just love these fantasy football and madden video game guys who feel they understand what football is all about. Can you even draw an X or an O without a crayon?

Yes I agree you are full of yourself.

I love it how it is my opinion that winning the Sb is all that matters in football. That is great stuff.

Hey Homer, tell Marge I love what she has done with her hair.

Keep fighting the good fight. You'll never win.

Just substitute Brady for Peyton up til the Tennessee game.

Remember when we had ten wins but no "quality" wins?

Just do a search, you'll see.

Of course the hindsight is Brady threw for 300 yards every game this year and we knew Caldwell and Gaffney would come through.:D

I just want to chime in for the side that says the logic that the W is the only thing that matters in evaluation individuals is stupid. by that theory rex grossman was a better qb than tom brady this year because he won more games.

if you're an indy coach you'd be stupid to ignore peyton's problems. you're looking at tape and trying to find some mechanical problem, or some way to compensate for what he's doing wrong. assuming that everything is fine and dandy because the team won is moronic and won't solve the problem before it sends the team home for the year.

I just want to chime in for the side that says the logic that the W is the only thing that matters in evaluation individuals is stupid. by that theory rex grossman was a better qb than tom brady this year because he won more games.

if you're an indy coach you'd be stupid to ignore peyton's problems. you're looking at tape and trying to find some mechanical problem, or some way to compensate for what he's doing wrong. assuming that everything is fine and dandy because the team won is moronic and won't solve the problem before it sends the team home for the year.

I didn't know they got individual grades. Of course in practice they do. But I really thought the only object in the playoffs was to win the game.

I know in nun school, we'd flip the card over and get graded on things like
"works well with others".

You'll have to forgive me for being oriented towards winning.

You see I'm a Patriots fan.

I didn't know they got individual grades. Of course in practice they do. But I really thought the only object in the playoffs was to win the game.

I know in nun school, we'd flip the card over and get graded on things like
"works well with others".

You'll have to forgive me for being oriented towards winning.

You see I'm a Patriots fan.

You know, I'm a Patriots fan too. And I know damn well our team wouldn't be complacent after a playoff win if they didn't play well (or for that matter, even if they did). See, even though some people see things in black and white around here, our coach and his staff and their players continue to critique and work on various aspects of their game, win or lose. It's what you do to continue winning, rather than just saying "we won the game - what could possibly go wrong from here?"

I am sorry that you cannot take the time and read what a person actually posts. Nobody ever implied that the W is the only thing that matters. If you actually read the posts instead of whipping out a "stupidity" insult you wouldn't look so stupid right now. Nobody ever even came close to making some idiotic analysis that Grossman is better than Brady. Could you please keep the conversation on planet earth.

If your an Indi coach you are elated that the Colts won today. You are not concerned with Peyton's problems today. He is a Hall of Fame QB. There is no doubt that Peyton has had problems in the post season, but is this type of play typical of Peyton? No, not at all. Here is the problem with your argument. Next, you say, "But Peyton has proven he has major problem and cannot win the big games in the post season." Huh? you mean it all comes down to whether you win or lose in the playoffs? Bingo. That is what has been said in this thread. The only thing that matters in THE PLAYOFFS is whether you win or lose. Just ask Steve McNair. Better yet, Tony Romo.

You know, I'm a Patriots fan too. And I know damn well our team wouldn't be complacent after a playoff win if they didn't play well (or for that matter, even if they did). See, even though some people see things in black and white around here, our coach and his staff and their players continue to critique and work on various aspects of their game, win or lose. It's what you do to continue winning, rather than just saying "we won the game - what could possibly go wrong from here?"

That is so stupid. Nobody ever implied that. You have a gift for taking part of the truth and blasting it out of reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes