PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning is more skilled than Brady? Please explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
False.

Go back. I've talked about that. I won't do it again until somebody around here gives me a big hug.

It's not false. Dismissing it with a nonsensical argument doesn't adequately address it. You got crushed.

There was a very good ESPN or NFL.com video where a panel did a thorough assessment of the "technical" aspects of both players mechanics, mental aptitude and a host of other comparative measures from memory. I think it was done in 2007 if anyone can find it.

Well, first of all, throwing in comments about the goat and the like wasn't going to make you any friends.

I don't need any more friends, and the goat thing was funny. Let me ask you this: how do YOU feel about the whole goat thing? If you aren't actually ashamed of it, let it slide. It's just plain funny. Why is Brady holding a goat in that picture?

Second, you made a long post which had nothing to do with the O.P. but was sure to rile up Patriots fans on a Patriots message board. Whining now because of the inevitable results is, quite frankly, pathetic on your part.

Well, you are going to have to be more specific about that. I have no idea what you are talking about. Tell me what you are talking about...or are you going to put me on ignore again? Seems like you like to argue, but don't like it when you can't win.

You hijacked a thread with lousy arguments and you've gotten pummeled for it. That's as it should be.

Never hijacked a thread and never got pummeled. NEVER. If there was ever any argument over Brady vs. Manning, you wouldn't have ever have created this thread in your infinite wisdom.

If you want to kick the **** out of me and put me on ignore after being gang-banged yet again, go ahead.

Last edited:
There was a very good ESPN or NFL.com video where a panel did a thorough assessment of the "technical" aspects of both players mechanics, mental aptitude and a host of other comparative measures from memory. I think it was done in 2007 if anyone can find it.

This begs the question: who won?

I don't need any more friends, and the goat thing was funny. Let me ask you this: how do YOU feel about the whole goat thing? If you aren't actually ashamed of it, let it slide. It's just plain funny. Why is Brady holding a goat in that picture?

It had nothing to do with insulting people on this thread though, did it?

Well, you are going to have to be more specific about that. I have no idea what you are talking about. Tell me what you are talking about...or are you going to put me on ignore again? Seems like you like to argue, but don't like it when you can't win.

Given that my post was the O.P. (original post), if you have no idea what I'm talking about, I can't help you. That's an intelligence/laziness issue on your part.

Never hijacked a thread and never got pummeled. NEVER. If there was never any argument over Brady vs. Manning, you would never have created this thread in your infinite wisdom.

If you want to kick the **** out of me and put me on ignore after being gang-banged yet again, go ahead.

You hijacked this thread and you've gotten pummeled, deservedly. And, if you'd actually read the O.P., you'd see that I asked a specific question about "skillsets" and didn't want it to be a "Bash Manning" thing.

But you were too busy playing the troll again to actually do something as basic as reading, apparently.

Last edited:
When comparing the two, I believe that you should compare career statistics and head to head statistics (because both players were going against each other in the same conditions with the same type of field).

Here is a look at both QBs' career stats:

Brady: 26,364 yards; 197 touchdowns; 86 interceptions

Manning: 29,442 yards; 216 touchdowns; 120 interceptions

Manning wins the yardage mark by a wide margin. But consider that, even though the Colts had a good running back in Edgerrin James for some years, Manning was throwing the ball A LOT more than Brady. He had Marvin Harrison in his prime and a young and emerging Reggie Wayne to throw to. However, with that said, Manning only threw for 19 more touchdowns than Brady. Keep in mind that prior to 2007, Brady's most dangerous target thus far in his career was Deion Branch. In 2007, when Brady finally got weapons like Manning had throughout his entire career, he torched the league and set records in touchdowns thrown, fifty, while only throwing EIGHT interceptions.

In the interception catagory, anyone can see that Manning loses the argument of who makes better decisions. In that catagory, Manning has thrown a whopping 34 more interceptions. This includes the playoffs as well. Anyone who has watched a playoff game where Manning goes up against Super Bowl calibur defenses knows that he often gets happy feet when the inside rush begins to get to him. When that happens, he begins dancing in the backfield and many times, cannot get the correct footing in order to release the ball with the velocity and accuracy he needs to hit his target. This explains why Manning has had a significantly larger amount of INTS.

Also, while comparing career stats, you should consider that Manning played the 2008 season while Brady did not. Had Brady played, it is very likely that he would have thrown AT LEAST 30-35 more touchdowns. Especially when you consider that the running back situation was the way it was (massive amount of injuries).
---------

Now let's take a look at the career head to head stats, including postseason, of both quarterbacks since this will give us a look at how each performed while operating under the same conditions...

Brady: 205/314, 65.3-percent completion, 2,275 yards, 17 touchdowns, 11 interceptions

Manning: 228/381, 59.8-percent completion, 2,761 yards, 16 touchdowns, 23 interceptions

Manning again wins the yardage and attempt argument but, despite the difference in the amount of attempts (not as big as I originally thought before checking the stats, to be honest) Manning has thrown one less touchdown that Brady and has thrown for twelve more interceptions. Brady also beats Manning in the completion percentage catagory as well. So, even in the same situations, Brady is more accurate with his throwns than Manning is.

See? I've come all this way without mentioning the Super Bowl wins. First let me say that I will not point to the amount of wins to support my argument because it is not allowed and will take the thread in a different direction than anybody wants to go in, especially when our resident Colts fans sniff this thread out. But I will say that Brady has proven himself much more than Manning under pressure. In two Super Bowl wins, Adam Vinatieri's foot won the game for us. However, as far as I know, Vinatieri isn't capable of hitting a 100-yard field goal. Against the Rams and the Panthers, Brady had to put Vinatieri in position to make the field goal and he did so with patience, calm, and accuracy. He took what he could find down the field and used his time wisely. Ultimately, he and Vinatieri won us those games. In 2004, he didn't have to do that but still had a very solid game for us. In 2007, Stephen Neal went down and the inside rush of the Giants took advantage. Brady couldn't step into his throws and had to make split second decisions before being hit. However, when he needed to take his team down the field and score a touchdown he executed. If the defense had been able to stop a miracle pass and hold the Giants offense, that 2007 team would have won the Super Bowl, gone undefeated in the process, and claimed the label of the greatest of all time.

I will close out this post by saying that, while I think Brady is the better quarterback (maybe I'm biased :p), I do have a tremendous amount of respect for Manning. He is an all time great quarterback and has made his team better every year he has been at the helm. Many times he's had to carry his team to the playoffs, as has been mentioned here already. However, all things considered, there is an abundant amount of evidence for why Brady has been the better quarterback throughout his career. I just hope he solidifies it in 2009. :cool:

It had nothing to do with insulting people on this thread though, did it?

Show me where I insulted somebody in this thread. Bet you can't. I didn't even insult Brady and his goat. Wasn't even trying to get his goat, for that matter.

Given that my post was the O.P. (original post), if you have no idea what I'm talking about, I can't help you. That's an intelligence/laziness issue on your part.

What can I say. You made the accusation. It's yours. I don't happen to know what you were referring to...honest to God.

You hijacked this thread and you've gotten pummeled, deservedly. And, if you'd actually read the O.P., you'd see that I asked a specific question about "skillsets" and didn't want it to be a "Bash Manning" thing.

But you were too busy playing the troll again to actually do something as basic as reading, apparently.

I didn't hijack this thread. I just happened to be the only non-Patriots fan that posted on it. It's gone as far as it has at the rate that it has because I'm the only one causing tension by disagreeing on it. I never got pummeled. And I don't deserve to be.

You try juggling ten different homers about their god. See what happens. If you didn't welcome a contrary opinion, why would you start the thread in the first place? Don't look for a "Brady can do no wrong" opinion around these parts. Seriously, did you start this thread to instigate some sort of group hug?

I didn't see anyone acknowledging any of my excellent points, either. And, again, I'm far outnumbered here.

Last edited:
You try juggling ten different homers about their god. See what happens. If you didn't welcome a contrary opinion, why would you start the thread in the first place? Don't look for a "Brady can do no wrong" opinion around these parts. Seriously, did you start this thread to instigate some sort of group hug?

I didn't see anyone acknowledging any of my excellent points, either. And, again, I'm far outnumbered here.

Ok, so you still haven't bothered to read the O.P. and you've apparently not seen me "take on" ten different homers here on multiple occasions, but you're using it as an excuse even though you must have "known" that would happen when you made your post in the first place.

You're once again acting just as you did in that Raiders thread. I'm done with you.

Ok, so you still haven't bothered to read the O.P. and you've apparently not seen me "take on" ten different homers here on multiple occasions, but you're using it as an excuse even though you must have "known" that would happen when you made your post in the first place.

You're once again acting just as you did in that Raiders thread. I'm done with you.

Put me on ignore again, buddy...probably already did.

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Kiss my ass as well if you are such a douchebag, which I suspect you are.

I've read the entire thread here, post-by-post, and I can't see where I've insulted anybody.

Seriously, why won't you actually come out and say what your basic malfunction is? What did I do? I'm all ears. Although your ears are probably covered "La-la-la-la-la-la...I can't hear you." Childish, totally.

I've read the entire thread here, post-by-post, and I can't see where I've insulted anybody.

Correct me if im wrong, but i think it has something to do with you saying something bad about Tom, and a goat :eek:

Oh, and i hope you didnt really go back, and read all your posts for insults. That would be really pathetic :D

Manning or Brady? Personnel experts make the call - NFL - ESPN
Early article into the 2007 record breaking season of Brady's. I know there's an in-depth video floating around somewhere, I'm just not sure where it is.

That's the sort of analysis I was looking for. It's not complete and it doesn't really set up a checklist because it's so complimentary to both players, but it's the general concept.

Thanks for finding that one.

"As a pure passer, Brady is better," he said. "If you did a competition of superstar quarterbacks, Brady would win on style points."

I found that quote to be interesting, given the "Manning: Skillset" argument. It was in clear contrast to how they went with the Pre-snap comparison.

Last edited:
When comparing the two, I believe that you should compare career statistics and head to head statistics (because both players were going against each other in the same conditions with the same type of field).

Here is a look at both QBs' career stats:

Brady: 26,364 yards; 197 touchdowns; 86 interceptions

Manning: 29,442 yards; 216 touchdowns; 120 interceptions

Where did you get these stats from?

Look at the official statistics at nfl.com.

You would see this:

Brady: 26,446 yards; 197 touchdowns; 86 interceptions
Manning: 45,628 yards; 333 touchdowns; 165 interceptions

I don't know how you've managed to get Brady's stats so close, while at the same time, skewing Manning stats so horribly.

Correct me if im wrong, but i think it has something to do with you saying something bad about Tom, and a goat :eek:

Nah, dude, I love the goat.

The only thing bad I've said about Tom in this thread is that I think he's second best in the league, which isn't an insult at all. Not only that, but it's what the thread is about. Manning or Brady? I can't stand when boards ask questions, then certain members totally ***** out when you don't give them the answer they want to hear. THAT'S bad sportsmanship, and THAT'S just plain wrong, especially when they are so petty to put you on ignore over it when they posed the question in the first place.

That goes against the grain of everything I like about being a football fan.

Oh, and i hope you didnt really go back, and read all your posts for insults. That would be really pathetic :D

No, I didn't do that. I already know that it's against my nature to do those kind of things, so I'm not worried about that.

Last edited:
I haven't read the thread yet, but:

• Manning threw an excellent deep ball before Brady even threw a good one.
  • Manning fairly recently learned how to throw on the run.
At any point in time, Manning has more years of experience than Brady, and hence SHOULD (all else being equal -- hah) have a broader or more polished skillset.

Last edited:
That's the sort of analysis I was looking for. It's not complete and it doesn't really set up a checklist because it's so complimentary to both players, but it's the general concept.

At least you were able to read what you were looking for...makes the whole thread worthwhile, but I'm sure anyone with contrary opinions is on your ignore list, so you'll be OK. You'll be in the dark and shielded from any opposing arguments, but you'll be OK.

If I read that first one correctly, the main theme is "The rest of the Colts suck, yet Manning has tremendous accomplishments. Therefore he's utterly awesome."

Way to support your team, guys ...

I found that quote to be interesting, given the "Manning: Skillset" argument. It was in clear contrast to how they went with the Pre-snap comparison.
That was what immediately came to mind Deus. There is a really good video going about somewhere. I remember seeing it around the end of 2007, as the analysis was quite detailed. It went into the tight spirals of the ball, ability to throw long, throw short, throw accurately, interception versus touchdown ratios, pocket mobility, ability to read defenses and make adjustments, lead the team etc.

I'm just sorry I can't locate it for you.

And by the way, what stats-pounders forget (other than the collection of offensive weapons Manning has had for a lot longer than Brady has had shiny toys) is that Brady manages to do VERY well in big games. Manning not so much.

Truth be told, however, that comparison is closer than it once was, after a certain AFCC game, as well as a recent disappointing Super Bowl ...

That was what immediately came to mind Deus. There is a really good video going about somewhere. I remember seeing it around the end of 2007, as the analysis was quite detailed. It went into the tight spirals of the ball, ability to throw long, throw short, throw accurately, interception versus touchdown ratios, pocket mobility, ability to read defenses and make adjustments, lead the team etc.

I'm just sorry I can't locate it for you.

I truly appreciate the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots