PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning and Wayne a package deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
..they could according to Peter King:

Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne could keep connection going in new NFL city - Peter King - SI.com

Was going to post quotes but you guys don't like that here. He also mentions that there is speculation that Garcon may be waiting for Manning as well. If this goes to pass that WR market may not be full of good quality WR's.

You can quote small, salient portions of articles, but then you'd only be quoting Peter's somewhat logical musings...as opposed to actual news or earth shattering insight. Wayne and Garcon would be well served to wait and see where the QB who put them on the map lands. Whomever signs him will want to bring in at least some of his weapons to help sell the offense to their existing roster, and a team like Seattle could use multiple WR's. I could see Saturday following him as well depending. Or Tamme. Or Clark if Indy decides to part ways with him for cap purposes.

Certainly something for them to consider, though it raises the cost for any signing team (as well as the likelihood of success).

They'd also need to think about what happens for them if Manning can't play -- would be a legitimate risk that they wind up with a bad QB, which would really suck if they took less $ to be there. (They should work a side deal w/Manning for him to cough up some of his dough to them if he's out :) )

As for the Pats, doesn't matter much to me. I like Wayne if we also get Lloyd and Wayne is willing to take a financial deal that works for us. But if we get Lloyd, I'd prefer to see more $ then go to the defense.

Last edited:
..they could according to Peter King:

Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne could keep connection going in new NFL city - Peter King - SI.com

Was going to post quotes but you guys don't like that here. He also mentions that there is speculation that Garcon may be waiting for Manning as well. If this goes to pass that WR market may not be full of good quality WR's.

That's overstated! better than them are on the WR market and i doubt Wayne or Garson ends up where Manning does.

If it is true, then the Jets are out of the running. No way can they afford to buy another FA WR this year on top of finding a way to make Manning fit.

Quotes are fine; copying & pasting entire articles isn't because it violates copyright laws and denies the original source web traffic and advertising revenue. That in turn places the site in financial jeopardy.

===================== ===================== =====================​

Wayne, who teamed with Manning for 10 of his 11 seasons with the Colts, would allow Manning to enter a new phase in his career with a receiver who could be the template for other receivers on the team to emulate. I'm told the 33-year-old Wayne, a looming free agent when the market opens March 13, is very interested in the combo platter also. Wayne caught 862 passes in his Colt career, including 397 in a four-year span with Manning.

It's an interesting idea I started to think about when the other Reggie Wayne thread started, so I'm glad you found this article. I've heard of players following coaches (e.g., Bart Scott from the Ravens to the Jets; the Brandon Lloyd following Josh McDaniels rumors), but I'm just trying to think of any pair of free agents that have worked in tandem to go to one team?

On a side note I don't understand why the Jets keep being listed as a potential landing spot for Peyton, or in this case both Manning and Wayne. I don't see how they have the cap space to pull it off, nor do I see Manning (a) going to a place where he'll likely be overshadowed by his younger brother, (b) wanting to play outdoors in a cold weather city, or (c) wanting to go to a team that was so dysfunctional last year. I think Manning's personality is such that he would have no desire to work for Rex Ryan or the big talkers on that team.

Last edited:
From the perspective of an NFL fan, I think it would be great if Manning went to Arizona ala Kurt Warner. Manning throwing the ball to Fitzgerald and Wayne on the Cardinals would be good for the NFL. Best yet, it would be out of the conference.

From the perspective of an NFL fan, I think it would be great if Manning went to Arizona ala Kurt Warner. Manning throwing the ball to Fitzgerald and Wayne on the Cardinals would be good for the NFL. Best yet, it would be out of the conference.

I am sure No Patriot Fan would like to see Manning throwing to Brandon Marshall in Miami.:scared:

I am sure No Patriot Fan would like to see Manning throwing to Brandon Marshall in Miami.:scared:

Depends on what Manning is playing. If it's Manning playing like he's in his prime then no way do we wanna see him in Miami. But if it's Manning after 4 neck surgeries and near the end with declining skills/health then maybe it's not such a bad thing. Bottome line is that no one knows how well Manning will be able to throw next year.

Peter King loves these Free Agent Package deal rumors. He has floated rumors before that a WR and QB would sell themselves together like his rumor that Daunte Culpepper and Randy Moss selling themselves as a package in 2008 when they both were free agents.

I think there might be a team or two who will look at Wayne if they are interested in Manning, but I wouldn't hold my breath that they both end up on the same team.

Depends on what Manning is playing. If it's Manning playing like he's in his prime then no way do we wanna see him in Miami. But if it's Manning after 4 neck surgeries and near the end with declining skills/health then maybe it's not such a bad thing. Bottome line is that no one knows how well Manning will be able to throw next year.

I am going out on a limb and say better than ever.

Quotes are fine; copying & pasting entire articles isn't because it violates copyright laws and denies the original source web traffic and advertising revenue. That in turn places the site in financial jeopardy.

===================== ===================== =====================​

It's an interesting idea I started to think about when the other Reggie Wayne thread started, so I'm glad you found this article. I've heard of players following coaches (e.g., Bart Scott from the Ravens to the Jets; the Brandon Lloyd following Josh McDaniels rumors), but I'm just trying to think of any pair of free agents that have worked in tandem to go to one team?

On a side note I don't understand why the Jets keep being listed as a potential landing spot for Peyton, or in this case both Manning and Wayne. I don't see how they have the cap space to pull it off, nor do I see Manning (a) going to a place where he'll likely be overshadowed by his younger brother, (b) wanting to play outdoors in a cold weather city, or (c) wanting to go to a team that was so dysfunctional last year. I think Manning's personality is such that he would have no desire to work for Rex Ryan or the big talkers on that team.

AFCE makes no sense unless he has no other options. But mediots say what sells. Manning isn't going to want to spend his hard fought for golden years battling Tommy and Bill outside in winter... And Miami is nearly as messy a situation as NY what with that owner and a lame duck GM and a new rookie coaching staff... He will ideally want to go to a situation where he at least has a clear shot at the division and a playoff berth. Washington could be a fallback although I doubt he really wants to compete against his baby brother (on the field or in the media) and again face the elements any more than he has to.

Seattle is a lovely place to live and work I'm told if you can stand perpetual rain. Very supportive fan base but more laid back and less demanding that east coasters. Ditto the retirees down in AZ where the talent on hand and Wisenhuts track record with an aging vet would certainly appeal. Not sure the Bidwell's will spend, though. Always seems like pulling teeth with them. Even Houston might be a possibility if they swap Mario's contract for one for Manning. They could even flip Schaub for a nice draft pick in the process. He's never healthy long enough to get them where they want to go anyway.

I wasn't a fan of Wayne's potentially coming here anyway, so this doesn't bother me any. Just makes it even more likely that someone like Washington or Seattle gets them both, and even less likely that Manning ends up a Jet.

Peter King loves these Free Agent Package deal rumors. He has floated rumors before that a WR and QB would sell themselves together like his rumor that Daunte Culpepper and Randy Moss selling themselves as a package in 2008 when they both were free agents.

I think there might be a team or two who will look at Wayne if they are interested in Manning, but I wouldn't hold my breath that they both end up on the same team.

Culpepper and Randy never made any sense though. These guys actually like each other and have worked well in tandem for a decade. Randy and Fumblepepper had a brief interlude after which they became more like McNabb and TO...

I wasn't a fan of Wayne's potentially coming here anyway, so this doesn't bother me any. Just makes it even more likely that someone like Washington or Seattle gets them both, and even less likely that Manning ends up a Jet.

Manning will retire before becoming a JET... He's smarter and has a lot more options than Favre did.

Manning will retire before becoming a JET... He's smarter and has a lot more options than Favre did.

I can't imagine Manning playing for the Jets. They are a loud-mouth, classless bunch of soon-to-be has beens. PLUS, it's cold in New York in the late fall and winter and they have no dome--unless you count Manning's.

Is Manning going to be ready by the time free agency starts? Because Reggie can't just wait around for him and risk having to take a lowball one year deal somewhere.

Would it be considered....

Pay Ton price and get Wayne Free?? :rofl:

(that is referring to the 'pay one price and get one free' for those who don't understand

and hopefully make it harder to sign (or tag) Calais Campbell so may the Pats could snag him!

Is Manning going to be ready by the time free agency starts? Because Reggie can't just wait around for him and risk having to take a lowball one year deal somewhere.

Manning doesn't have to be ready by the time FA starts. He just has to be confident he will be ready by the time OTA's or even camp starts and the team has to be ready to make the assumption. Most insiders say he will play, some say well too. He's on record saying he will agree to a deal that protect the investment of any new team who buys in, something he won't do for Irsay because Irsay is drafting his replacement.

The new CBA delays off season conditioning at the facility as a group until April now. Ideally if he can throw at even 90% by May, and there is no risk in doing so because it's regeneration and not healing they are waiting on, teams can't begin organized team activities until then anyway. In the meantime he will be getting into his new teams playbook or adapting theirs to his. He doesn't need to be a full go until camp because that is when they will be working on implementing the playbook and working on timing. And that's when it may be important to have guys like Reggie on hand to help sell and explain the no huddle process to the other WR's. The routes and options themselves are fairly simple and straightforward and Manning does all the reading and makes the adjustments pre snap. I think any team that takes Reggie to pair with Manning probably could use a veteran WR either way.

With the depth of this FA class and the new offseason scheduling I don't expect a lot of guys to be off the market in the first week. There will be a handful of big deals as always, then when the dust settles you will start to see more activity as we head into April and teams get to assess their own heading into another season and position themselves for the draft. There will still be lots of guys left looking to cash in post draft with the teams that didn't fill needs there. FA won't be as frantic as it has been because veterans lobbied for more recovery time and the trade off is it gives teams added time to ponder their options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes