PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning’s 51st touchdown pass will add another flawed record to the books…

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Flawed Record - why even if Manning breaks the touchdown record Brady’s 07’ will still top it…

I am not sure if anyone has looked at the splits this season for Peyton Manning but if you have you may have notice that he is not exactly slinging his way to the touchdown record. Manning has 6 touchdowns this season on a pass thrown behind the line of scrimmage and 21 touchdowns on a pass thrown 1-10 yards; do the math and you see that 27 of his touchdowns came on a pass thrown 10 yards and under. On the season Manning has 5 touchdowns and 5 interceptions on a pass thrown 21 yards or further down the field.

In 07’ Brady had just 1 touchdown on a pass thrown behind the line of scrimmage and 26 of his 50 touchdown passes occurred on a pass thrown more than 10 yards down the field, he threw 15 touchdowns and 5 interceptions on a pass thrown 20 yards or further down the field.

If you want to hear something really indicative of how flawed Manning’s touchdowns are this year Brady has 19 touchdowns passes this season, 11 of his touchdowns have occurred on a pass thrown more than 10 yards down the field; Peyton has 41 touchdowns this season (more than double Brady’s total) and 14 of his touchdowns have occurred on a pass thrown more than 10 yards down the field. For those who are mathematically challenged that means despite throwing 22 more touchdown passes then Brady this season Manning has only thrown 3 more than Brady on a pass thrown longer than 10 yards down the field. I would like everyone to read my last sentence, think about it for a minute and then read it again because it’s actually laughable.

I am a realist and I know Manning is going to break the record and truthfully I could care less, I did think it was worthwhile to point out exactly how much different their performances actually are. Just to reinforce how much the talent is doing to help Manning to this record, 24 of his touchdowns have been caught by D. Thomas, Decker, Welker or J. Thomas on a pass thrown behind the line of scrimmage to 10 yards.

Most looking at this from a subjective contextual standpoint already knew most of this.

He throws a lot within the 5 yard-line. And a lot of screen passes behind the line of scrimmage that are taken the distance by his WRs.

Manning is playing a lot of small ball, dinking and dunking his way to his TDs. In 2007, Brady was throwing bombs over Baghdad. In isolation, the latter is always going to be more impressive.

Along with that, I still believe Manning's 2004 season is more impressive than this year's as well, for the same reasons outlined above.

I thought it was called a rushing TD if the pass was behind the line of scrimmage. I remember they subtracted one of Gronk's TDs when he set the record because of that.

Do touchdowns count for less if they are flawed?

I thought it was called a rushing TD if the pass was behind the line of scrimmage. I remember they subtracted one of Gronk's TDs when he set the record because of that.

Forward passes can still be behind the line of scrimmage, no?

Do touchdowns count for less if they are flawed?

I didn’t say the touchdowns were flawed I said the premise of Manning holding a record for touchdowns when 66% of the 41 he has thrown so far this season would not even result in a new set of downs if judged on the distances thrown.:bricks:

Who cares? I was happy when Brady broke the record, but it meant nothing without the Super Bowl ring. It will be the same for Manning.

Gronkowski lost that touchdown in 2011 because Brady threw it behind where he was standing on the field which made it a lateral/handoff.

Forward passes can still be behind the line of scrimmage, no?

Yes as long as the ball is thrown in front of where the QB is it would count.

Who cares? I was happy when Brady broke the record, but it meant nothing without the Super Bowl ring. It will be the same for Manning.

I just think it is interesting, not so much that I care in the sense I am losing sleep over it but I just thought the breakdown was very insightful so I figured I would share. If you do not agree you can certainly place the thread on ignore, if you need the instructions shoot me a PM and I will give them to you.

It wasn't because Gronk caught the ball behind the LOS. It was because the pass didn't travel downfield from Brady's hand -- in other words it was an overhand lateral, not a forward pass.

I just think it is interesting, not so much that I care in the sense I am losing sleep over it but I just thought the breakdown was very insightful so I figured I would share. If you do not agree you can certainly place the thread on ignore, if you need the instructions shoot me a PM and I will give them to you.

Manning has and always will be a stat padded. It isn't nothing new. I just don't care.

I didn’t say the touchdowns were flawed I said the premise of Manning holding a record for touchdowns when 66% of the 41 he has thrown so far this season would not even result in a new set of downs if judged on the distances thrown.:bricks:

They crossed the goal line. You don't have to get more yards once you cross the goal line.

I don't think Manning cares as much about a Super Bowl ring as he does getting the TD record back. Where Brady will unselfishly hand the ball off for a rushing TD, Manning will try to pass his way to a TD multiple times no matter how close to the goal line.

Let him take the record this year. Next year Brady will get it back again with Dobson and Thompkins setting the world on fire along with a healthy Gronk, Amendola, Vereen and Edelman.

Flawed Record - why even if Manning breaks the touchdown record Brady’s 07’ will still top it…

I am a realist and I know Manning is going to break the record and truthfully I could care less

I wish you would.

I don't think Manning cares as much about a Super Bowl ring as he does getting the TD record back. Where Brady will unselfishly hand the ball off for a rushing TD, Manning will try to pass his way to a TD multiple times no matter how close to the goal line.

Let him take the record this year. Next year Brady will get it back again with Dobson and Thompkins setting the world on fire along with a healthy Gronk, Amendola, Vereen and Edelman.

19-0 is coming next year. But, they are gonna win the SB this year, and Brady will have 4 rings to mannings TD record.

If we retain talib, edelperson, and shore up the DL and OL, this team is loaded. They still should be 11-1 with injuries.

What nonsense the OP is spewing.

If Peyton breaks the record , he breaks the record.

Are you aware that Colts fans think Brady's record is flawed because he didn't do it in 15 games ?

I don't think it would be flawed. But he can win as many MVPs and break as many records as he wants. Something he will never have: a winning record against Tom Brady or more rings than Tom Brady.

I have no doubt we beat Peyton & the Broncos if we play them in the playoffs - even if the game is in Denver.

How far the ball travels in the air to be credited as a 'legitimate pass' doesnt make sense to me.

if you want to critique him; add up how many 1 and goal from inside the 5 TDs he has compared to how many running TDs from same yardage Denver has. He is a glory-slut who audibles out of running plays (if his OC even has the guts to call one and piss off the almighty Pay-me).

Either way, records were meant to be broken. Sucks that TBs wont stand past 5 seasons and his nemesis is the one who breaks it; but that's life.

Anyway, it still isnt a given. Frankenstein could still have to go back into the shop if he gets hit the wrong way - or just not hit the avg due to weather. (although you know they will keep chucking in 4Q of blowouts just to get there)

Patriot Fans: yes! Brady beat Manning's record of most TD passes in a season

Patriot Fans (as Manning closes on Brady's record): Meh! It's only a record and they mean nothing.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back