PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins Update: agent says "deal cannot be worked out - we disagree"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats used the non exclusive franchise tag. He can negotiate.

New England Patriots put franchise tag on Logan Mankins - ESPN Boston

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if he and the chump negotiated a deal with Dallas or someone, and we rolled him over there for a 2nd Rounder, with which we might snatch up Jason Pinkston, an O Tackle who might make one HELL of a Guard.

Two Rookie Guards is scary...But we could certainly break them in slowly, with Dan Connolly, Stephen Neal, Nick Kaczur, and Quin Ojinnaka around. And Danny Watkins could very well be ready to start from Day One. Pinkstson, too, for that matter.

This latest outburst has disgusted a LOT of fans, including myself, who are still trying to remember Logan Mankins The FootBall Player...and finding it increasingly difficult to do so.

He is the LAST guy that I thought would go Prima Donna on us.

Me too, :ditto::agree: Just doesnt' come across as somebody that would act like this.

Pats need to take a stand and stare these guys down. If Mankins forces his way out on his own terms, then future free agent to be players will try the same thing and strong-arm the Pats.

F it. Time for management to show who runs this ship.

Pats need to take a stand and stare these guys down. If Mankins forces his way out on his own terms, then future free agent to be players will try the same thing and strong-arm the Pats.

F it. Time for management to show who runs this ship.

the funny thing is, the pats have done that in the past, so have a handful of other teams

yet these players and agents still pull this crap, rather than just shutting up and jumping to FA without talking ****

the funny thing is, the pats have done that in the past, so have a handful of other teams

yet these players and agents still pull this crap, rather than just shutting up and jumping to FA without talking ****

Players and their agents are always going to be trying to pull these kinds of stunts no matter what. But if a team gives in, then that's when the floodgates really open up. Pats need to use whatever leverage they have available and do what's best for the team.

If you take a look at the teams that have sustained success for a period of time, you see a FO that plays hardball and stays steadfast in the face of negative publicity: Pats, Philly, Colts, Steelers, Chargers, Ravens, etc.

its been done, but what im telling you is you are looking at a 3rd or 4th round draft pick in all likelihood. the patriots have the money this year to have a 10 million dollar guard on the roster, especially since their offer to him last year was about 8 million.

it comes to a point where it might just be better for the patriots to hang onto the player, and when you are looking at 3rd and 4th round picks as compensation, i think you are pretty close to that point, considering the kind of player mankins is.

They got a 1st for Branch and Seattle paid him $9M for the pleasure. In Mangini's first season the JETS were stuck with Abraham franchised for the second year in a row and swearing he'd never play for them again and not a fit for Mangini's system and not enough cap room to pay him anyway without making massive cuts elsewhere...Atlanta traded a first for him and then signed him to a big deal he's still playing under... They got a first for Seymour in September of the final year of his deal. They got a 3rd out of Minnesota for what turned out to be a 3 week rental of a $9M player heading for FA...a month into the season.

If a team has a need and believes a franchise tagged player is available and will fill it, deals can be made by teams who want to fill their need now and have the cap space to accommodate the contract and prefer not to compete for the player on the open market or hope they can land him in the draft.

That said, I think they intend to retain Mankins for one more season because his two (and possibly even three) year average still works for them given they were/are willing to pay him $7M per for 5 years with $25M guaranteed. I think it's interesting that they've already made it clear according to Bauer that waiving the tag in the future isn't on the table. Logan actually lost leverage going forward by holding out on his RFA tender only to show up 7 weeks in and make the pro bowl...

They could get a first for Mankins, maybe not a 2011 first but a first...or the equivalent in a package of picks.

They got a 1st for Branch and Seattle paid him $9M for the pleasure. In Mangini's first season the JETS were stuck with Abraham franchised for the second year in a row and swearing he'd never play for them again and not a fit for Mangini's system and not enough cap room to pay him anyway without making massive cuts elsewhere...Atlanta traded a first for him and then signed him to a big deal he's still playing under... They got a first for Seymour in September of the final year of his deal. They got a 3rd out of Minnesota for what turned out to be a 3 week rental of a $9M player heading for FA...a month into the season.

If a team has a need and believes a franchise tagged player is available and will fill it, deals can be made by teams who want to fill their need now and have the cap space to accommodate the contract and prefer not to compete for the player on the open market or hope they can land him in the draft.

That said, I think they intend to retain Mankins for one more season because his two (and possibly even three) year average still works for them given they were/are willing to pay him $7M per for 5 years with $25M guaranteed. I think it's interesting that they've already made it clear according to Bauer that waiving the tag in the future isn't on the table. Logan actually lost leverage going forward by holding out on his RFA tender only to show up 7 weeks in and make the pro bowl...They could get a first for Mankins, maybe not a 2011 first but a first...or the equivalent in a package of picks.

Mo, for clarification, How did Mankins lose leverage? I like the post, i just don't understand that statement.

Last edited:
Mo, for clarification, How did Mankins lose leverage? I like the post, i just don't understand that statement.

He swore he'd never play here again. The classic principled holdout. Then he not only showed up he showed up before the deadline and was ready to go and there was no grousing or benching or paying him for nothing. Won't be this time either. Not showing up at all while tying up the cap or showing up and half assing it is the only leverage a tagged player has. Woodson kept landing on IR in Oakland... Corey Simon scared the Eagles to the point they yanked his tag in June (and Polian made a mistake he regrets to this day). Sometimes teams are forced to make promises to try and reel that player in, as we did with Asante. The team has already let Bauer know they won't take the tag off the table going forward in exchange for that. They know they don't have to. He won't show up out of shape or try to fracture their clubhouse. They can plug the gaps short term if they have to, as they would if he were pupped. His holdouts are symbolic, and when they are over they are over. With over half a million per game on the line I doubt he holds out this year beyond the pre season...and that just gives them time to get the backup guards more practice reps.

Last year he rolled the dice at 28 with $3.5M on the line and took a financial hit though he ended up the toast of the pro bowl. This year he's 29 and the dice are worth $10.2M. If there is a protracted lockout there may be no camps or OTA's or preseason to hold out of, but there may also be no FA period before a 2011 season. Don't be surprised if he signs the tag like the rest of them for that reason. That's what he and Frank are left mulling for the next 5 days...which is all the time they have left to make their decision. $10.2M guaranteed vs. ??? And while ??? could eventually include FA that still might see him tagged and unable to market himself freely, worse yet it could also include some formula (like the one owners have already outlined based on 2010 salary + a premium) the NFLPA agrees to in lieu of FA chaos due to timing and a flooded market at the 11th hour before a 2011 season commences.

Me too, :ditto::agree: Just doesnt' come across as somebody that would act like this.

Thank you, Brother Blue. :cool:

That said, I think they intend to retain Mankins for one more season because his two (and possibly even three) year average still works for them given they were/are willing to pay him $7M per for 5 years with $25M guaranteed. I think it's interesting that they've already made it clear according to Bauer that waiving the tag in the future isn't on the table. Logan actually lost leverage going forward by holding out on his RFA tender only to show up 7 weeks in and make the pro bowl...

They could get a first for Mankins, maybe not a 2011 first but a first...or the equivalent in a package of picks.

Great Argument, Brother Mo.

I'd like to let Mankins and that clown negotiate a big deal on the Market, and then trade his rights for a 2nd Rounder and change...But with a weak class, I don't fancy double dipping into the O Guard Market twice...Especially as I would really like to draft Mike Brewster AND Peter Konz, next year, giving us an exceptional Center, an exceptional O Guard, AND an exceptional back up Center.

Even so, Danny Watkins has the right stuff to be that back up Center, even while starting at O Guard...And Jason Pinkston ~ or POSSIBLY Benjamin Ijalana ~ acquired for that 2nd Rounder ~ has sufficient upside to merit such an investment.

And it would be REALLY good to be done with all the pathetic Drama. :rolleyes:

Alot of shot at mankins as a person and businessman here .Its a business to every one is here to make a buck.

last year mankins kept himself in shape and start as soon as he showed up , how far can you push a player before he signs gets his game check and sit on his ass and does nothing good.maybe let a pass rush in once or twice a game.

dan connely was so unremarkable lost his job as soon as this guy showsup.he moved to the right side and guess what side shaun ellis played on in the play off - on dan`s side.

i know we can draft a gaurd but will he be more dan or mankins?

Alot of shot at mankins as a person and businessman here .Its a business to every one is here to make a buck.

last year mankins kept himself in shape and start as soon as he showed up , how far can you push a player before he signs gets his game check and sit on his ass and does nothing good.maybe let a pass rush in once or twice a game.

dan connely was so unremarkable lost his job as soon as this guy showsup.he moved to the right side and guess what side shaun ellis played on in the play off - on dan`s side.

Probably depends in part on where we draft him. Dan was somebody's else's UDFA we picked up second hand as a backup and he turned out to be a damn fine one... Mankins was drafted in the first round, although pre draft most scouts and pundits had him as a second or third round talent, and didn't miss a start until his holdout...

This is a shallow draft, but it's deep through the first two rounds particularly where linemen are concerned (DL and OL). What better time to have 4 picks in the first two rounds...

Mankins cannot afford to sit on his ass and do nothing because he will be 30 in 2012 and if this lockout drags on there could be several hundred FA simultaneously competing for that elusive brass ring big deal by then...not to mention yet another draft class. The team obviously wants to retain Mankins, but they are not going to over value him on a long term deal in the process.

Gosh, is Logan Mankins a good O Guard?? Thanks for enlightening us. :rolleyes:

Buy a computer. You come across like a 3 year old.

I can't believe people actually SEND this garbage.

He swore he'd never play here again. The classic principled holdout. Then he not only showed up he showed up before the deadline and was ready to go and there was no grousing or benching or paying him for nothing. Won't be this time either. Not showing up at all while tying up the cap or showing up and half assing it is the only leverage a tagged player has. Woodson kept landing on IR in Oakland... Corey Simon scared the Eagles to the point they yanked his tag in June (and Polian made a mistake he regrets to this day). Sometimes teams are forced to make promises to try and reel that player in, as we did with Asante. The team has already let Bauer know they won't take the tag off the table going forward in exchange for that. They know they don't have to. He won't show up out of shape or try to fracture their clubhouse. They can plug the gaps short term if they have to, as they would if he were pupped. His holdouts are symbolic, and when they are over they are over. With over half a million per game on the line I doubt he holds out this year beyond the pre season...and that just gives them time to get the backup guards more practice reps.

Last year he rolled the dice at 28 with $3.5M on the line and took a financial hit though he ended up the toast of the pro bowl. This year he's 29 and the dice are worth $10.2M. If there is a protracted lockout there may be no camps or OTA's or preseason to hold out of, but there may also be no FA period before a 2011 season. Don't be surprised if he signs the tag like the rest of them for that reason. That's what he and Frank are left mulling for the next 5 days...which is all the time they have left to make their decision. $10.2M guaranteed vs. ??? And while ??? could eventually include FA that still might see him tagged and unable to market himself freely, worse yet it could also include some formula (like the one owners have already outlined based on 2010 salary + a premium) the NFLPA agrees to in lieu of FA chaos due to timing and a flooded market at the 11th hour before a 2011 season commences.

Mo, thanks for the clarification. Very informative, as usual.

I would have loved to see him sign but if the agent says nothing can be done then they should simply let Mankins know he's playing under the tag and be done with it.

Their offer took the RFA tender into account, Per Reiss, requiring Mankins to play that year as part of the deal. Reiss' report lines up with what Bauer was saying about the actual value of the offer. I'm not changing history.

And, besides Brady, the Patriots treat who damn well?

Branch? No.
Samuel? No.
Seymour? No.
Wilfork? No.
Mankins? No.

Who are these players who've been treated damn well?

I'd say they treated all of those guys pretty well. Wilfork and Seymour ended up having the largest contracts at their position, and they made legitimate offers to the other 3 guys. Can't blame the Pats for the fact that someone else was willing to (over)pay more for Branch and Samuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back