PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins Update: agent says "deal cannot be worked out - we disagree"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their offer took the RFA tender into account, Per Reiss, requiring Mankins to play that year as part of the deal. Reiss' report lines up with what Bauer was saying about the actual value of the offer. I'm not changing history.

And, besides Brady, the Patriots treat who damn well?

Branch? No.
Samuel? No.
Seymour? No.
Wilfork? No.
Mankins? No.

Who are these players who've been treated damn well?

Dear Logan,

You're probably spending your time listening to your blowhard agent and reading the internet to make yourself feel mad and badly treated by the Patriots.

So let me put this very simply.

There are two sorts of NFL players: those who come out of their careers with enough money to live well for the rest of their lives and those who don't. Any player who takes a deal with $10 million dollars guaranteed in it has been "damn well" looked after. If you can't live on $10 million, shame on you.

Everyone listed in the post above was offered at least that much guaranteed so yes, they would all have been treated damn well.

Beyond that, of course, there are people who feel "disrespected" if their deal isn't more than someone who isn't as good a player as they are. But that is bullsh*t -- the sort of bullsh*t that is put out by agents and internet smartarse contrarians but actually has almost no bearing on real life. You're disrespected if the franchise won't pay you because they won't use income on salaries, but if the franchise is using the money to pay a couple of million to a lower-tier player, where's the disrespect?

So it's quite simple. Are you going to uproot your life and leave people you care about for money that won't make any serious difference to you? Yes? OK, you're an idiot. Go talk to Deion. At least he came to realize it.

Still want to go? Then goodbye and good riddance,

Mike

he was first team all pro and he only played in 8 games witch means the NFL players think he's one of the top two G's in the NFL and he made like 3 million less then Nick Kaczur got to spend the season on IR... like it or not if the pats dont pay him the 8 or 9 million a year with 20 + million up front some outher team will we just seen player we never heard of like Stanford Routt get over 10 million why cant one of the best players in the NFL get 8 or 9 million ?

Dear Logan,

You're probably spending your time listening to your blowhard agent and reading the internet to make yourself feel mad and badly treated by the Patriots.

So let me put this very simply.

There are two sorts of NFL players: those who come out of their careers with enough money to live well for the rest of their lives and those who don't. Any player who takes a deal with $10 million dollars guaranteed in it has been "damn well" looked after. If you can't live on $10 million, shame on you.

Everyone listed in the post above was offered at least that much guaranteed so yes, they would all have been treated damn well.

Beyond that, of course, there are people who feel "disrespected" if their deal isn't more than someone who isn't as good a player as they are. But that is bullsh*t -- the sort of bullsh*t that is put out by agents and internet smartarse contrarians but actually has almost no bearing on real life. You're disrespected if the franchise won't pay you because they won't use income on salaries, but if the franchise is using the money to pay a couple of million to a lower-tier player, where's the disrespect?

So it's quite simple. Are you going to uproot your life and leave people you care about for money that won't make any serious difference to you? Yes? OK, you're an idiot. Go talk to Deion. At least he came to realize it.

Still want to go? Then goodbye and good riddance,

Mike
you're right and wrong at the same time

anyone should be able to live their life on 10 mill, but you're wrong when it comes to athletes where market value for their position has been set at a certain level

the pats are also right because they realize aside from qb, spreading alot of millions out over several positions rather than a handful of high paid talent, usually makes for a better team , adalius thomas was a reminder for them.

he was first team all pro and he only played in 8 games witch means the NFL players think he's one of the top two G's in the NFL and he made like 3 million less then Nick Kaczur got to spend the season on IR... like it or not if the pats dont pay him the 8 or 9 million a year with 20 + million up front some outher team will we just seen player we never heard of like Stanford Routt get over 10 million why cant one of the best players in the NFL get 8 or 9 million ?

not a good idea to take cues from a senile al davis, when talking about salaries

not a good idea to take cues from a senile al davis, when talking about salaries

yes we all know al davis is crazy but my point is this there is no reason why Mankins and he's agent have to take whats the pats are giveing him not when they can get what they want from some outher team

Black.

None of you know **** about anything, now STFU. :rocker:

yes we all know al davis is crazy but my point is this there is no reason why Mankins and he's agent have to take whats the pats are giveing him not when they can get what they want from some outher team
EXACTLY!

but his agent should just shut up and tell the player that

i mean does he really think dissing the pats in the press is going to work, has it ever worked for a player in NE?

does it usually work for any player in the league? (did revis' agent do it to the jets?)

Devils advocate, Mankins gets traded to Dallas or Chicago say for a 1st, Neal retires, and we had a line that looked something like

Vollmer-Light-Koppen-Boling-Costanzo

Ans a C in the draft to take over from Koppen in time

With Connoly, Orhnberger, Kazcur as back-ups

Worse or Better?

I love Mankins like anyone else but it's about effieciency of dollars at the position.

I love what Mankins does for this team and it sucks to be stiffed by your employer. But if Daddy Kraft did offer Mankins the contract we've heard about last year, the one that would have made him one of the top 3 guards $$-wise, then Mankins is a misguided crybaby, or his agent is making him sound like one.

Trade him. I'd much rather keep him, even for big $$, but if he just doesn't want to be here then fine, trade him - assuming we can under the new CBA deal. A 2nd would be OK.

I don't think Frank Bauer is a very good agent as he hasn't represented his client very well. And I am not saying that because he says he wants his client to be the highest paid lineman ever. If he can get it then great. But the fact is that he has been failing miserably for three years straight now.

2009 - Instead of trying to negotiate an extension for his client he accepts some vague promise that the Patriots will "take care of him" during the uncapped year without ever knowing what that means. Did he really think the Patriots were going to make him the highest paid lineman ever just like that? With Brady coming back from knee surgery if there was ever a year to hold out, it was that one. Fail.

2010 - He comes up with the wonderful strategy of trying to shoot his way out of town. Logan comes out in the spring and makes these bold statements about never playing with the Pats again, man of principle...blah, blah, blah. Empty words in the end as he shows up before he has to midway through the season. The Patriots come out golden in the situation as they prove they can perform admirably without him during the first half, and get all-pro caliber player for minimal dollars in the second half. Meanwhile, Mankins looks like a great player that comes back with his tail between his legs. Fail.

2011 - Logan throws out more empty worded threats about the franchise tag. Patriots franchise him. Bauer comes up with the grand threat of showing up the day before the first game. Is this really a treat? Patriots would take that in second. Fail.

How many times does this guy have to fail before Mankins realizes he is incompetent? How much money does he has to lose before he realizes that Bauer doesn't know how to handle negotiations. Bauer states, "everything with New England is built on leverage and using the system. Everything is leverage.." Really Frank? You are actually shocked that a team would use the mechanisms granted a team to protect their interests, as negotiated by the player's association, as leverage against your client? Really? If this is the truth then you should be fired tomorrow. You're his agent. You should be giving your client advise on how this works, not painting some fairy tale picture that the NFL is about loyalty and trust. Wake up Frank. You've screwed this up royally.

Bauer has no clue what a travesty is. A travesty is when a franchise pays some clown like Albert Haynesworth $40M or guarantees $40M it can't recover to an imbecile just to get it's QB into camp in his rookie season, or pays a pro bowl CB $7.8M so he can blow multiple game changing plays in the only game that most believe matters all season...

Apparently every team that ever extends a player rather than tear up his contract commits a travesty. Brady has been travestied here on three seperate occasions now, including twice after being named a SB MVP...

Tedy Bruschi told his wife after he was drafted that it was his intention to be the player who played his entire career with one team...and he did. Rodney Harrison was asked to take a $900K paycut after suffering back to back injury shortened seasons. That money was then given back to him the following season allowing him to complete the 5 year $16M deal the pundits all said he would never see the back end of here...

After his superbowl winning pro bowl season, Jahri Evans was tendered as an RFA in 2010 and his deal was an extension of that tender. He got $19M in the first two years and will see $27M in the first 3 if he's still on the roster or they haven't decided to restructure him by 2012 as they did with Reggie Bush who may be gone altogether in the final year of his rookie deal and whom NO probably wishes they had decided to move on from a year sooner... Mankins was offered a 5 year deal that reportedly included upwards of $25M in guaranteed money. The essential difference in the two deals is the younger Evans was offered 2 more years of unguaranteed money he may never see anyway at the backend of his deal similar to what Bush was restructured to midway through his rookie deal. The Patriots have tended to avoid the phony backloaded salary deals like the one Ty Law signed in Bill's tenure. As impressive as they sound, most players never see those years.

The superagent of Fresno State is pissed because Logan Mankins is his only high profile client these days and under a franchise tag Frank will only see a 1% commission as opposed to the 3% he'd be in line for on a long term deal. He's also made it increasingly unlikely the NEP will tap the Fresno State pipeline again any time soon. SD reached for another of Sun West's Fresno State clients last season and after a week long TC holdout were disappointed in the performance of LaClassian's supposed replacement.

here we go again.

i say trade him and his agent to siberia er i mean buffalo for their 2nd.

hopefully they can trade him. I think Dallas' #2 is about right. Maybe a late round pick in 2012 too.

Problem is will a team be willing to sign a big money contract AND give up a high pick?

I don't think Frank Bauer is a very good agent as he hasn't represented his client very well. And I am not saying that because he says he wants his client to be the highest paid lineman ever. If he can get it then great. But the fact is that he has been failing miserably for three years straight now.

No arguments here. He's terrible.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but we cannot trade Mankins until a CBA exists, right?

The superagent of Fresno State is pissed because Logan Mankins is his only high profile client these days and under a franchise tag Frank will only see a 1% commission as opposed to the 3% he'd be in line for on a long term deal. He's also made it increasingly unlikely the NEP will tap the Fresno State pipeline again any time soon. SD reached for another of Sun West's Fresno State clients last season and after a week long TC holdout were disappointed in the performance of LaClassian's supposed replacement.

The fact is, plenty of players & their agents handle the RFA & franchise tag much, much better than Mankins and his clown representation have.

Devils advocate, Mankins gets traded to Dallas or Chicago say for a 1st, Neal retires, and we had a line that looked something like

Vollmer-Light-Koppen-Boling-Costanzo

Ans a C in the draft to take over from Koppen in time

With Connoly, Orhnberger, Kazcur as back-ups

Worse or Better?

I think Costanzo is pretty bad, personally, but in generally I take your point.

It would not be a better OL, but it'd be a whole lot cheaper.

Fans that are arguing poor treatment of Mankins by the Patriots, or vice versa, Mankins being greedy, are probably missing the point. The only one truly messing up here is the agent. He's talking about how the Patriots are cheap, using leverage and the system, as though he believes Mankins has earned $9 million a year (judging by his comments in this morning's Rapaport piece where he says because of Mankins' Pro Bowl year in 2010, he is now above Evans). He doesn't realize that $9 million is just an arbitrary number determined by the market, and the market is a byproduct of the system. The number could easily be $4 million or $13 million. Regardless, there are franchise tags that come AFTER your contract runs out. As players such as Wilfork, Brady, Seymour, Ty Warren, Bruschi have understood, there is something to be said for taking LESS than you could have gotten on the free agent market if you renegotiate your contract a year early. All of these players have taken sub-market deals because they factored in the final year of their contracts.

For some reason, Mankins' agent thinks his player has a natural right to that high money, as though there is no CBA in existence, as though the market isn't already determined by the fact that players take less when they renegotiate, as though there isn't a franchise tag.

He doesn't seem to realize that if there weren't a franchise tag at all, the dynamic would be entirely different. We don't know what the final salaries would be for a guard. They could be more (I'm sure most people would probably say this) but they could be less if teams had the ability to overpay for crucial positions (I'm assuming most teams don't prioritize guard) and thereby had less to spend even for the best interior O-lineman in the league.

It boggles the mind that Bauer doesn't understand these things, and I say he doesn't understand them because surely he realizes that blasting the Patriots in public is going to get him NOWHERE. So why is he doing it? Because he's a knucklehead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back