PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins should be available in October

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The nfl is a business. Both parties continue to use their options under the CBA.

THE CURRENT SITUATION
The current situation seems to be that we have a problem probowl LG available to join the team that will cost us about $800K for the second half of the season. After this season, we will likely receive a 2012 3rd rounder when Mankins goes elsewhere in 2011.
================

WHAT SHOULD THE PATRIOTS DO NOW, IF ANYTHING?
I would think that nothing at all needs to be done before August. The team needs a little time to see Kaczur and Light at LG. Also, they need to evaluate Connolly as a potential replacement for Neal when he is injured. And then there is Orhnberger. Dante has some evaluation to do. After a bit of evaluation, the team will be able to better assess the 2010 value of Mankins.

Of course, the team can entertain discussions with other teams, but Mankins isn't under contract, so he would need to agree to any trade. At some point, the team can let Mankins' agent try to find a deal accpetable to the patriots. I wouldn't expect that such an action would be entertained until August.

The nfl is a business. Both parties continue to use their options under the CBA.

THE CURRENT SITUATION
The current situation seems to be that we have a problem probowl LG available to join the team that will cost us about $800K for the second half of the season. After this season, we will likely receive a 2012 3rd rounder when Mankins goes elsewhere in 2011.
================

WHAT SHOULD THE PATRIOTS DO NOW, IF ANYTHING?
I would think that nothing at all needs to be done before August. The team needs a little time to see Kaczur and Light at LG. Also, they need to evaluate Connolly as a potential replacement for Neal when he is injured. And then there is Orhnberger. Dante has some evaluation to do. After a bit of evaluation, the team will be able to better assess the 2010 value of Mankins.

Of course, the team can entertain discussions with other teams, but Mankins isn't under contract, so he would need to agree to any trade. At some point, the team can let Mankins' agent try to find a deal accpetable to the patriots. I wouldn't expect that such an action would be entertained until August.

Sigh....... :help:

Light's not playing LG. Baring an injury or another unforseen circumstance, he will be starting at LT. It will either be Kazcur or another back up taking the LG position.

As for Mankins after this season, if Brady and Gostkowski are both locked up before the end of the franchise tag period, Mankins will most assurdily be tagged and traded for a second rounder or better. Assuming a long term deal isn't done.

Light's not playing LG. Baring an injury or another unforseen circumstance, he will be starting at LT. It will either be Kazcur or another back up taking the LG position.

As for Mankins after this season, if Brady and Gostkowski are both locked up before the end of the franchise tag period, Mankins will most assurdily be tagged and traded for a second rounder or better. Assuming a long term deal isn't done.

I don't think anyone will be coughing up a first rounder for Mankins. An early 2nd would be nice :)

Didn't the year of service rules change for the uncapped year from week ten to the start of the season or even earlier? I thought I had read that but cannot find it.

No more draft picks please, if he gets traded it has to be for another player.

Didn't the year of service rules change for the uncapped year from week ten to the start of the season or even earlier? I thought I had read that but cannot find it.

I believe that was for players who signed their tender (lest it get reduced) and still decided to hold out into training camp. Then the decision became which way do I net more, not signing and not facing any fines and allowed to hold out through week 10 or signing at the higher rate and absorbing the $16K per day fines so I could continue holding out until I had to report for the season to get paid or face suspension. Most of them did the math and signed. Some who didn't were low tender guys for whom the difference between their tender and 110% was insignificant and the remaining flexibility to avoid fines was more significant.

If you remain unsigned you still retain the ability to hold out into the season, up to week 10, with no financial repurcussions beyond loss of game checks. If you signed you have to show up by August 13th or you will lose a year of service credit whether you end up playing 16 weeks or not...

Last edited:
Thanks. I thought there were two different dates. One for the 110% and a second earlier year of service date but maybe I misread it.

Thanks. I thought there were two different dates. One for the 110% and a second earlier year of service date but maybe I misread it.
I see where you're going with whether or not Mankins would earn a year of service. In the past it's always been week 10. The thing is though, that the only reason Mankins (and about 200 other NFL players) were restricted free agents and not unrestricted free agents was due to the special rules in place for one year and one year only: the uncapped year. If the terms of the next CBA for amount of service time to become a free agent are the same as they were under the prior CBA, then Mankins does not need the service time from playing football in 2010 to become an unrestricted free agent.

It's really all dependent on the next CBA in terms of number of years needed to become an unrestricted free agent in the future, but I doubt the NFLPA is going to agree to increasing the number of years before becoming an unrestricted free agent, or keeping the uncapped year rules in place.

Needless to say, if Kaczur can't beat out Ohrnberger, Connolly, or one of the other back-ups for starting LG and Vollmer starts the season at RT, that would speak volumes about him as a lineman. Me, personally, I always rejected the thought that the team gave Kaczur an extension because he was such a good RT. I've always thought that it was his ability to play both OT and OG. I hope he proves me right now.

I don't think anyone will be coughing up a first rounder for Mankins. An early 2nd would be nice :)

I wouldn't bet against a late first rounder, but I agree it is highly unlikely. He was a late first round pick and he performed up to his draft status and still can give a team 5 more years or so at a top level.

Sure, go ahead and punish Mankins with an $11M franchise tag in a year with a cap! ?????

Even Mankins would sign a $11M franchise tag. No one will give the patriots anything for him if his contract calls for $11M in 2011.

Sure, go ahead and punish Mankins with an $11M franchise tag in a year with a cap! ?????

Even Mankins would sign a $11M franchise tag. No one will give the patriots anything for him if his contract calls for $11M in 2011.

You don't know what the franchise number would be in that year. You're taking a WAG at it.. And it's silly.

And how do you know that no one would give the Pats a 1st round pick for him then?

I wouldn't bet against a late first rounder, but I agree it is highly unlikely. He was a late first round pick and he performed up to his draft status and still can give a team 5 more years or so at a top level.

If he wasn't shooting his way out of town, there may be a small possibility of getting a 1st rounder for him. Given that, a possible lockout and his obvious drive to be overpaid, it's just hard for me to picture anyone but Al Davis coughing up a first. Since Al no longer has a first, I think a 2nd is the most we can hope for. I would absolutely love to be proven wrong.

no WAG, just based on the this year's number

You don't know what the franchise number would be in that year. You're taking a WAG at it.. And it's silly.

And how do you know that no one would give the Pats a 1st round pick for him then?

THE CURRENT SITUATION

Mankins isn't going ANYWHERE. The Pats have the right to franchise him as often as they want. And since they were offering him top 5 money, they would have been willing to pay franchise tag money in any case. Mankins can go ahead and sit on his ass and pout and lose money this season. His agent is giving him bad advice because face it agents are greedy SOBs.

There is no way Mankins is worth Jahri Evans money because he ain't as good. Particularly his pass-blocking and dumb penalties leave a lot to be desired. So either shut up and play or put up with franchise tags from 2011 onwards, because you're not GOING ANYWHERE unless the Pats say so Mankins. So take it like a man and SUCK IT UP!

I would not trade mankins for anything less than a 1st round pick. I'm certainly not GIVING him away to make him happy.

Mankin$ should be avail. in October?

I seriously doubt it.

What I don't doubt is that he has played his last down for the NEP.

Bill will almost assuredly never wait for him to stroll into Foxborough just before week 10 so he can accrue one more season on Bill's dime, while his team's season hangs on the brink.

Mankin$ will be traded before week 2, just like Meion was.

Mankin$ should be avail. in October?

I seriously doubt it.

What I don't doubt is that he has played his last down for the NEP.

Bill will almost assuredly never wait for him to stroll into Foxborough just before week 10 so he can accrue one more season on Bill's dime, while his team's season hangs on the brink.

Mankin$ will be traded before week 2, just like Meion was.

Unless you know about some rule changes, Mankins cannot be traded until he signs his contract.

Mankins isn't going ANYWHERE. The Pats have the right to franchise him as often as they want. And since they were offering him top 5 money, they would have been willing to pay franchise tag money in any case.

They offered top 5 guard money. Franchise tag is top 5 OL money, which includes left tackles. I'm sure Mankins wouldn't mind that! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes