PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins itching for a new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think as long as the potential for a 2011 lockout remains high there will be no long term extensions that require substantial bonus or guaranteed money beyond TFB. The most likely of the RFA candidates to get extended for that reason will be Gostkowski because as a PK he won't require a double digit guarantee and like Brady his age beyond 2011 won't be a major concern strickly based on position (QB's and PK's play well longer on average).

I also think with Dante still on board and the draft picks they have stockpiled for 2010 and 2011 they won't pay a premium for Mankins. OL has become a very expensive proposition relative to FA while remaining a more predictable position to scout the college ranks for and transition to the NFL, and the draft is definitely the way to go unless guys are willing to play ball on long term deals.

In some respects finding Vollmer made it easier for NE to figure out what to do about Mankins. They don't necessarily have to pinch pennies because they have a LT in the pipeline through 2013 at least, but they will also have to be careful if they want to lock that guy up for beyond since any deal Mankins inks will impact what Vollmer expects in as little as two years down the line.

I think Neal will be resigned for depth and stability because his value here will be greater than anywhere else given his system experience/relevance and injury history. Kind of like the last time he was a FA coming off a SB and not yet 30 and he found no takers or leverage. And of course Light has a year left in which he could still play LT or move inside beside Vollmer while they hunt for a RT or LG with excellent upside in the second. And he too is more likely to find a short term extension here than anywhere given the variables including his being a 33 year old FA in 2011...

Wilfork and Mankins will be secondary priorities behind Brady whose deals are totally dependent on whether their assessment of value in a long term deal aligns with the organizations. The fact that both can be retained through 2010 or traded/signed away for substantial draft compensation dictates that approach play out on a scheme driven, fiscally responsible/conservative team that always balances short term impact against long term goals.

IMO, its been pretty clear all along that this is the team's approach. Well said.

If I were him, I'd be itching that beard. That's got to be uncomfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back