PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins is our 53rd player? 44 gameday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aßßynormal

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
1) BB not putting Mankins on roster exempt ( Pats opt against roster exempt list - NFL- nbcsports.msnbc.com )

2) CBS and the NFL have us with 59 players, 7 of which are IR. ( New England Patriots Roster | NFL at CBSSports.com ) ( New England Patriots Roster )

3) IR: Josh Barrett, Leigh Bodden, Brett Lockett, Brandon McGowan, Daryl Richard, Ty Warren, Kade Weston

Again, it appears we haven't exempted Mankins. However, in Week One we had 8 inactives ( DL Brandon Deaderick, LB Dane Fletcher, WR Julian Edelman, RB Laurence Maroney, OL Nick Kaczur, OL Steve Maneri, WR Taylor Price, CB Terrence Wheatley ).

So, what's the story here? Did we only have 44 available last week? Will it be 44 this week and on until Mankins is resolved? Can we still add another player if he hasn't been placed on the exempt list AND why would Mankins need to be amoungst the actives?

1) BB not putting Mankins on roster exempt ( Pats opt against roster exempt list - NFL- nbcsports.msnbc.com )

2) CBS and the NFL have us with 59 players, 7 of which are IR. ( New England Patriots Roster | NFL at CBSSports.com ) ( New England Patriots Roster )

3) IR: Josh Barrett, Leigh Bodden, Brett Lockett, Brandon McGowan, Daryl Richard, Ty Warren, Kade Weston

Again, it appears we haven't exempted Mankins. However, in Week One we had 8 inactives ( DL Brandon Deaderick, LB Dane Fletcher, WR Julian Edelman, RB Laurence Maroney, OL Nick Kaczur, OL Steve Maneri, WR Taylor Price, CB Terrence Wheatley ).

So, what's the story here? Did we only have 44 available last week? Will it be 44 this week and on until Mankins is resolved? Can we still add another player if he hasn't been placed on the exempt list AND why would Mankins need to be amoungst the actives?
Mankins is not being counted on the 53 because he does not have a contract with the Patriots. Being placed on the exempt list or not does not affect that.
We have an open roster spot. I wouldn't be concerned whether it is filled or not, because that player would just be inactive.
I can imagine 1 of 4 scenarios.
1) We will be activating a player from the practice squad
2) We are leaving it open to be able to sign a street free agent
3) A trade may be possible
4) Mankins is actually close to signing
None of those would impact Sundays game.

Then what's the purpose of using the Exempt List for players like Vincent Jackson?

This thread is bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Mankins is not being counted on the 53 because he does not have a contract with the Patriots. Being placed on the exempt list or not does not affect that.
We have an open roster spot. I wouldn't be concerned whether it is filled or not, because that player would just be inactive.

Agreed and worst of all activating a Mankins (or anyone else) who has not played a down in practise would be utter folly. In a Bizarro World where Logan played Sundy his probability of injury would be way too high.

Last edited:
Exactly right. I'm thinking someone on the practice squad will be making the 53 after the game tomorrow, as we seem to have a lot of talent there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down