PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins is not showing up for the Patriots' offseason activities [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, let's just toss out a hypothetical. If you're the Colts and you just canned one of your starting guards, and you were planning to use your very low first round pick on a guard, why wouldn't you seriously think about going after Mankins?
Pro - get a pro bowl caliber player
Pro - one of your top competitors loses that player

Con - you give up a #3 also
Con - you have to pay him more than the draft choice

It's quite possible the Colts may consider a low #3 and a contract Mankins likes worth the risk that the rookie they would have taken isn't at Mankins' level. This isn't like the Franchise tender where you're giving up a second #1 pick.

Mankins is a very good player but NO TEAM is going to come close to giving a first and a third for Logan....not even crazy Al

How soon you forget how badly the crazy old codger took a dump on us the last time we traded with him...

OK, let's just toss out a hypothetical. If you're the Colts and you just canned one of your starting guards, and you were planning to use your very low first round pick on a guard, why wouldn't you seriously think about going after Mankins?

I doubt it. Mankins will command big money. Not sure the Colts will spend it on a OL.

On another note, Jahri Evans signed his tender w/ the Saints. The assumption is that he and the Saints have made progress in their contract talks.

A first and a third for a guard, even with the second to last non-compensatory pick in both those rounds, seems a bit much. Maybe if it was just a first, but add that third and a contract that would have too be too rich for the Pats to match; I don't see it happening.

As much as I like Mankins, if this draft is as good as people say it is, if someone is willing to give up a first and a third for Mankins I think the Pats should take the picks. With two firsts, three seconds, and two thirds; the Pats could really make moves to get several potentially huge impact rookies. The Pats would have to package picks to trade up in this scenario.

I doubt it. Mankins will command big money. Not sure the Colts will spend it on a OL.

On another note, Jahri Evans signed his tender w/ the Saints. The assumption is that he and the Saints have made progress in their contract talks.

I think the Colts might not be the right example because they typically build through the draft and rarely make trades or make big free agent moves. I don't know if they would break from their formula for a guard since they have kinda just been having makeshift o-lines the last few years (although Lilja was one of the few constants).

Let's see...because I am in the process of constructing a mega million dollar extension for my HOF QB that will likely entail coming up with at least as much bonus money as the last deal he signed and because my roster is already top heavy payroll wise and because as I explained on multiple occasions the philosophy here is not to invest in pricy FA (the last of which really bent me over...) but rather to draft and develop talent within the confines of our own system as opposed to retraining veteran players who spent years doing it. someone else's way...? Sometimes even I screw up doing it that way, but at least it doesn't cost Irsay nearly as much...

I think the Colts might not be the right example because they typically build through the draft and rarely make trades or make big free agent moves. I don't know if they would break from their formula for a guard since they have kinda just been having makeshift o-lines the last few years (although Lilja was one of the few constants).

Tarrick Glenn and Saturday are the only guys that they have spend good money on. You are spot on IMO.

Re: If you hadn't already, add OG to your list of draft needs

Oops. To answer your question, probably none, other than playing well enough this year that the Pats will offer him a long-term deal. He's one of the best guards in the league and the Pats' tender of a 1 and 3 reflects that. 3 mil + for a guard isn't chump change and I would hope that Mankins would buy into "the Patriot Way" and not act like the Asante Samuel's, Deion Branch's and Brandon Marshall's etc. etc. of the world.

if the pats don't, someone else will.....

and what is the 'patriot way' these days? brady in LA? check.......

why the hell should a guy who is not under contract show up if the ones who are aren't showing up......

maybe after this year, mankins will decide the niner way is better than the patriot way.....

as for the notion of trading him, that's a real sharp idea.....then the offensive line will begin to resemble the linebacker group

They also draft well and I don't see it happening; that said, something along those lines is wholly reasonable.

As much as I like Mankins, if this draft is as good as people say it is, if someone is willing to give up a first and a third for Mankins I think the Pats should take the picks. With two firsts, three seconds, and two thirds, the Pats could really make moves to get several potentially huge impact rookies. The Pats would have to package picks to trade up in this scenario.

Not to pick nits here, but the Pats don't have any 2010 3rd-rounders right now.

As for Mankins, I see nothing about which to be concerned, yet. As Tanked mentioned, why would someone not under contract attend a Voluntary workout, esp. when some of those who are actually under contract aren't there either?

Last edited:
They also draft well and I don't see it happening; that said, something along those lines is wholly reasonable.

The Colts' drafts have been overrated in the last few years actually. Some of their high draft picks have been bust or disapointments. They have found a lot gems in the late rounds (Antonine Bethea and Piere Garcon in the sixth round), but a lot of the picks in the first three rounds have been less than stellar (Tony Uh!Oh!, Joseph Addai who was stud for a year and a half and a dud since, Donald Brown, Tim Jennings, Daymeion Hughes, Philip Wheeler, Vincent Burns). They have arguably drafted better than the Pats in recent years, but they have had far fewer hits in the first three rounds than people remember.

Not to pick nits here, but the Pats don't have any 2010 3rd-rounders right now.

Forgot they didn't have a third, but the overall point stands.

Forgot they didn't have a third, but the overall point stands.

Yes it does; but I would be very hesitant to trade Mankins. He's our best OLman, and this isn't a great draft for Guards, esp. the more athletic LGs.

Re: SMY: Mankins unhappy, refuses to attend workouts

Ok I missed that one.. waiting for the big hand in the sky to merge this thread.

Re: SMY: Mankins unhappy, refuses to attend workouts

Ok I missed that one.. waiting for the big hand in the sky to merge this thread.
The elusive sound of hand clapping?

He's a good guy, hate to hear he's unhappy.

If he's REALLY unhappy and is going to be a gloomy Gus about it, I say they trade him for a late 1st.

Light would be a good guard.

He's a good guy, hate to hear he's unhappy.

If he's REALLY unhappy and is going to be a gloomy Gus about it, I say they trade him for a late 1st.

Light would be a good guard.

Then who plays tackle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back