PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins Days as Pat Over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mankins was paid less than 2 million dollars last year, probably even less than 1 million since he came extremely late in the season.

it is obvious that he wants to be a free agent and he has already proven he is willing to sit out for most of the season if he doesnt like how he is treated.

i dont understand why people want to so easily just disrespect him and slap the franchise tag on him, if you think he is worth the money then pay him, otherwise let him go and try to find a better deal, he wants around 10 million, if the patriots think he is worth the money then pay him, enough with this charade and musicial roster spots.

mankins hasent been approached because the patriots dont have any rules on the new CBA, but frankly there are very few teams aside from the patriots who have the cap space to pay mankins what he wants so when the new rules go in and the patriots understand them, they will make a very fair offer to mankins.

Mankins was paid less than 2 million dollars last year, probably even less than 1 million since he came extremely late in the season.

it is obvious that he wants to be a free agent and he has already proven he is willing to sit out for most of the season if he doesnt like how he is treated.

i dont understand why people want to so easily just disrespect him and slap the franchise tag on him, if you think he is worth the money then pay him, otherwise let him go and try to find a better deal, he wants around 10 million, if the patriots think he is worth the money then pay him, enough with this charade and musicial roster spots.

mankins hasent been approached because the patriots dont have any rules on the new CBA, but frankly there are very few teams aside from the patriots who have the cap space to pay mankins what he wants so when the new rules go in and the patriots understand them, they will make a very fair offer to mankins.

10 million?! Where?

Send him packing.

After giving it a little thought (very little) i'm sure a more than adequate guard could be picked up in FA and coached up

Patriots Guard Logan Mankins Refuses to Sign $50 Million Contract Because of Apology Stipulation The Sports Session

you may remember this story from last year, since then bob kraft has come on the radio and said that there was never any deal in place and mankins was never asked to apologize. Adam Schefter who is usually pretty reliable upheld his release of the story which is the above story, the truth has never been agreed upon, but it is understood that Mankins wants to be the highest paid guard in the league with a deal similor to Nick Mangold of the Jets and Jahri Evans of the Saints, both deals being worth about 9 and 8 million per year respectively, Mankins is expected to demand anywhere from 8 to 10 million per year.

Look, the bottom line is that we want Mankin's to be on the team going forward, but you simply cannot have a guard be one of the highest paid players on your team. That position does not warrant such a lofty salary. There are other positions that can affect the game more than a guard and that is where you spend your money (CB, Pass Rush, DL, LT, QB obviously) It must be a position that can create a game changing play on any given play.

Mankins is looking for a salary in the 8-10 million dollar a year range.

He is clearly one of the best guards in the league, but guard is just not one of the more important positions on the field. All positions are important but you now what I am saying. There are only so many guys you can pay a premium for and you better reserve those spots to the highest impact positions.

Mankins is the equivalent of the "best burger in town", you don't pay a "Rib Eye" price for the best burger in town. No matter how good that burger is you would be crazy to pay more than even $10 for it.

Last edited:
if this team was still in rebuilding mode id agree with mcdonut, but this team just went 14-2 with a young rookie team who are signed at extremely cheap deals for a long time, alot of their impact players are hardly making any money at all, the patriots because of their success in the draft have money to spent in free agency and mankins keeps what this team needs most right now intact...a running game and protection for brady. mankins knows you and you know him, so there isnt any buyer beware risk here as you had with adalius thomas.

at the end of the day i hope they can come to some kind of agreement, because the last thing this team needs right now is o-line problems and this WILL turn into a ty law, asante samual, richard seymour Pergatory situation if we dont resign him.

How is it disrespecting a player to pay him the average of the top 5 players at his position?

It is clear that the last several SB teams paid their OGs top of the league money. No top 5 cheap money for them. So, we need to do the same and pay Mankins the same as those proven winners and not waste valuable cap money on All-Pro OLBs, CBs and other insignificant positions. Example... repeat SB Champs New Orleans.

Because when you know you can be paid higher than anyone else at the position you dont want to settle for the average of the top 5 guards in the league.

aside from that, mankins will have gone 2 seasons in a row where the free agency he has earned will be taken away from him, mankins probably figures the patriots have already cost him at least 7 million because of 2010.

players dont like the franchise tag because if they get injured during that year they can lose alot of money when they finally do become free agents.

furthermore, if you do franchise him it would only be like renting him for a year, because consecutive franchise tags significantly increase the value of the tag, and by the next time you used it, the cost would far exceed 10 million per year. it would only put a bandaid on a problem that would linger on after 2011.

If this comes to pass, then it would be apparent that this front office still hasn't figured out that pressure up the A and B gaps was a direct result of the last three playoff losses when it comes to the offensive side of the ball. We already need to draft for RG and C, why compound that issue by having to draft for LG as well when you already have an elite one on staff?

Doesn't Mankins share some of the blame for the play of the offensive line in the last three playoff losses?

As I recall Mankins was looking for an average of $9 million per year over six years, with $25 million guaranteed. I would presume that is still the case. I think the Pats offer was about $8 million per year with $20 million guaranteed.

The big sticking point now is what the next salary cap will be, based on the new CBA. Mankins and his agent are basing their negotiations on what other top guards are making - but that was under the old cap and old CBA. Those salaries could be irrelevant as far as the Pats (or any other team) are concerned if the owners should get their way with the new cap and new CBA.

As far as Mankins sitting out should he be franchised, it's apples to oranges when you look at how much money he will leave on the table. Last year Mankins tender was for $1.54 million; the franchise tag for an offensive lineman was $10.73 million. There's a big difference between passing on a chance to play for $96k each week and refusing to play for $670k each week - even for Mankins.

Because when you know you can be paid higher than anyone else at the position you dont want to settle for the average of the top 5 guards in the league.

aside from that, mankins will have gone 2 seasons in a row where the free agency he has earned will be taken away from him, mankins probably figures the patriots have already cost him at least 7 million because of 2010.

players dont like the franchise tag because if they get injured during that year they can lose alot of money when they finally do become free agents.

furthermore, if you do franchise him it would only be like renting him for a year, because consecutive franchise tags significantly increase the value of the tag, and by the next time you used it, the cost would far exceed 10 million per year. it would only put a bandaid on a problem that would linger on after 2011.

The franchise tag has two versions, exclusive and non-exclusive. The exclusive doesn't allow the player to negotiate with other teams while the non-exclusive one does. If Mankins is determined to leave then the Pats can still protect their interests by applying the non-exclusive tag. Then Mankins can work out a deal with another team, sign and the Pats get 2 #1 picks, or they can work out a deal acceptable to both sides.

There is no way the Pats should just let this valuable asset walk for nothing.

if you are going to franchise him for 8.5 million you might as well just pay him because if you dont, this O-line will become a problem sooner rather than later as so many other things have with this same kind of situation.

thats just my personal opinion.

The thing that is over inflating the pay scale for Mankins is that the putting the franchise tag on a an offensive lineman, makes you pay him the average of the top 5 Offensive linemen in the league.

All offensive line positions are simply not the same.

Order of importance:

LT
C
RT
LG, RG

Don't get me wrong, no one is saying Mankins is not a great player, but the bottom line is he does not go up against the highest impact players of the teams that the Patriots play. That job has gone to Matt Light the last 10 years.

Imagine seeing 10 Million dollars a year for Mankins on this list. Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2010 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page
(although if Nick Kaczur has a cap hit of 3.5 Million in any year, I guess I can't argue with what Mankins is trying to do for himself, just probably not going to get it here. Don't blame the guy one bit if somebody wants to pay you, just saying the Patriots won't do it. What the hell was Belichick thinking with Kaczur ?)

I heard this on the radio on the way home, Big deal! I am starting to think he is not the brightest bulb. Loses 2.5 mill on his contract last year, Is going to get tagged and paid about 8 mill this year. So instead of signing a Vince Wilfork type Deal last year for 5 years between 37 and 40 mill with 1/2 of it as a bonus
he now plays two years of his prime for less than 10 without the safety of a long term deal.

The guy is one of the best guards in the league and he should be paid like one, his insistance on being paid at #2 or #3 when he does not have the leverage baffles me.

Look, the bottom line is that we want Mankin's to be on the team going forward, but you simply cannot have a guard be one of the highest paid players on your team. That position does not warrant such a lofty salary. There are other positions that can affect the game more than a guard and that is where you spend your money (CB, Pass Rush, DL, LT, QB obviously) It must be a position that can create a game changing play on any given play.

Mankins is looking for a salary in the 8-10 million dollar a year range.

He is clearly one of the best guards in the league, but guard is just not one of the more important positions on the field. All positions are important but you now what I am saying. There are only so many guys you can pay a premium for and you better reserve those spots to the highest impact positions.

Mankins is the equivalent of the "best burger in town", you don't pay a "Rib Eye" price for the best burger in town. No matter how good that burger is you would be crazy to pay more than even $10 for it.

Exactly. And on top of that you can only have so many top of the market players on any one team before the bottom of your roster drops off and the middle class shrinks to a handful. What happens if we sign mankins to whatever it takes and then we can't extend Vollmer in a couple of years or afford to pay another LT when Light departs or a shutdown CB or a pro bowl LB or a stud TE or two because they too want to be the highest paid players at their positions...

It may well be that Mankins doesn't care where he plays or whether he wins as long as he gets the highest paid title. If that's the case he will eventually come to realize it's pretty fleeting. Especially if you go to a team that expects you to be some sort of savior and you aren't...in part because they couldn't afford some of the little missing pieces and pay you.

They only invest in elite players who are also leaders here. And part of being a leader here is being all in. Pioli used to say that part of the equation is determining how much a player wants to stay here, and if it's all about the money then they probably don't belong here. Mankins has been here for 6 years now and that just happens to coincide with our SB drought... Belichick was accused of reaching for him in the first. Perhaps if he had gone in the later rounds to a team without a HOF QB and HC and an owner who wasn't inclined to interfere in the football end of the business or change coaches like outfits he wouldn't be on anyone's pro bowl radar these days...

Guys like Logan almost make me hope there is a lockout because when it's over there will be a cap and a lot of teams scrambling to just hang on to their own FA... He will never make back the money he lost by not signing the extension he was offered last year. And he could well land with a franchise where when things don't pan out players routinely get thrown under the bus by their disappointed HC's, GM's and owners.

Just to be clear, everyone understands that franchising Mankins means the Patriots have to pay him the average of the top 5 Offensive Lineman in the NFL, not just Guards.

There is no differentiation between Offensive Lineman.

Last edited:
Hmmmm sounds like a repeat of what I heard once before....from Randy Moss

Can I ask something that most of you would think only a moron would ask? Perhaps I don't understand the game as well...but if Mankins is indeed such an incredible offensive lineman, then why can't he play left tackle. At least that is a position that warrants such a high salary.
Ok, let me have it:bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye