Mankins Days as Pat Over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reflexblue

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn't sound good.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ogan-mankins-believes-patriots-days-over.html

HONOLULU — Logan Mankins [stats] told the Herald today he doesn’t believe he’ll be back with the Patriots [team stats].

The All-Pro guard doesn’t think the organization is committed to keeping him long term, or is willing to do what it takes to make that happen. The only way he sees he’d make a return for the 2011 season is if the Patriots slap the franchise tag on him, if it still applies, and that would not please him one bit.

“No, I wouldn’t be happy about that, if that’s what they chose to do, to be dealt that kind of hand,’’ Mankins said following the AFC team’s workout yesterday on a field at the Pro Bowl’s hotel complex. “But we’ll see what happens.’’

Asked about

Last edited:
He's right. They never sign guys like him for that much money. Look for them to use one of the early picks for an OL.

He should be paid what he accepted in the summer plus one year of Franchise Tag money.

Simple for Mankins.

Sign the Deal and take the offer.

Sign the Franchise Tag.

He'll be in Foxboro for at least 1 more year anyway.

The minimum they will do with him is to tag and trade. They aren't letting him go for nothing.

Last edited:
He's going to get tagged. Whether he gets traded or signed after that is what the question is right now.

He's right. They never sign guys like him for that much money. Look for them to use one of the early picks for an OL.

I really don't want to have to use a pick to replace mankins. Its like treading water.

Last edited:
I don't think any player likes getting the franchise tag slapped on them. This isn't alarming news. He wants a long-term contract, and I seriously think he doesn't care for which of the 32 teams he winds up at. I'd like it if he signed the contract offered to him before the season. Is that still a possibility? No idea. But I think many other teams will offer similar contracts or contracts with slightly higher guaranteed money. I used to think that he would take the Patriots contract if it was slightly less money because of the friends he has here, but I think he has seen the nasty side of the business and the way the Patriots operate and is thus more reluctant to take the less money to stay here.

I really want Mankins back. He can be the leader of the line for many years when Koppen and Light are gone. I think offensive line play has a lot to do with continuity and working together as a consistent unit. There should be some consistency to the line from year to year.

Last edited:
We have heard all this from Mankins before. Why should we believe him now?

I think just about anybody would be unhappy with the franchise tag. So not really say much. He'd just rather control where he goes. I think dallas clark was the only one who liked it. Wilfork said it would be a slap in the face. I think in the end the pats will pony up. They can't take a big step back with Brady at 33.

I can understand his frustration, but using the press as his channel just doesn't work with this team as a way of gaining leverage in contract negotiations.

Last edited:
I don't understand why one day he shrugs off questions about the future, but the next day he's talking about it... To each his own..

I really don't want to have to use a pick to replace mankins. Its like treading water.

Trying to replace one of the two best guards in the NFL with a rookie isn't even treading water. It's going under in deep water, and hoping to God that you can hold your breath long enough to walk to shore.

If this comes to pass, then it would be apparent that this front office still hasn't figured out that pressure up the A and B gaps was a direct result of the last three playoff losses when it comes to the offensive side of the ball. We already need to draft for RG and C, why compound that issue by having to draft for LG as well when you already have an elite one on staff?

It would be completely unacceptable if they let Mankins walk, especially for nothing.

He'd just rather control where he goes. I think dallas clark was the only one who liked it.

Matt Cassel wasn't too upset about it himself. ;)

I can understand his frustration, but using the press as his channel just doesn't work with this team as a way of gaining leverage in contract negotiations.

You know on this board people are brainwashed like I used to be drinking the Kraft koolaid whenever a good free agent was on the board our thought was not how can we sign him but would he take a discount to play here. Why would a free agent come here unless he was near the end of his career? The type of players we need are guys in their mid to late 20's with 4-5 years experience in the league and they cost you money specifically bonus money which comes from the owner. It's inexplicable to me how the 3rd richest team in the league can have the 3rd lowest payroll how does this happen in the 7th largest tv market and they get away with it? So I've heard after the AD bust signing the Pats were stepping back from signing big time free agents huh! Because they made a bad FA signing on a 7th round pick who was a scheme player in Baltimore which by the way Ray Lewis called. They've decided not to spend money on high end free agents ok they will spend on their own players like Mankins ahh wrong again so just who do they spend their money on besides Brady and he's not much without a team around him like any other great qb. So I already know what to look for in the draft trading down for second round picks. Low signing bonus money decent quality players but not the playmakers not the type of people to make you a championship team. Our 1st round pick last year was a playmaker for this team to take the next step they need to draft difference makers aka pass rushers and unless your lucky those guys are typically 1st rounders. So we know they won't spend for Woodly from Pburgh or someone of that type so wtf is the plan.

I don't want to sound like a troll, I know to some people I will sound like a fake fan.
This is the kind of attitude we really can't have if we want to build a team atmosphere and not divas looking for a big pay day with no loyalty.
I don't care What Logan thinks is fair if the Patriots offer him more money than 98 percent of the people on this messageboard could hope to attain in a lifetime, then Bill needs to do what's best for the team and trade him for the highest bidder, I'm thinking 28 and Logan Mankins for dallas 1st and marion barber to boot.
We all said o great he came back early and wants to help the team and support the fans, obviously he just wanted to come back in almost a savior to the offensive line supposed role.
We can build both lines through the draft and pick up veteran offensive lineman thru trade or free agency.
The offensive line needs to retain Light, and then thats it I guarantee the other starters will be a mixture of rookies and new to the team bargain free agents.
this team needs a blue collar punch you in the mouth personality and my thought is a guard fighting for his nfl life snap after snap is more apt to fight all 4 quaters in the face of adversity as opposed to a Person who wants to be paid like a QB, give me Joe Andruzzi over Logan Mankins any Sunday!

Trying to replace one of the two best guards in the NFL with a rookie isn't even treading water. It's going under in deep water, and hoping to God that you can hold your breath long enough to walk to shore.

The odds against getting an elite player in the draft are stacked against you, even in the first round. Much more likely to get a Brandon Meriweather or Lawrence Maroney. We all saw how many drafted CBs it took to replace Law. If they are without Neal and Mankins (Connelly and Wendell?), it could well take precious years off the career of the franchise QB. If they lose Mankins for a draft pick it will be a huge step backwards and likely entrench them in their current position of watching the championship on TV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey