PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mangini's prospects...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Mangini has a major undertaking on his hands.

1) He's in cap hell and the idiot who did it is his boss!
2) He's got to create an Offense almost from scratch
a) There's no offensive line or even the makings of one.
b) There's no QB but palenty of $$ committed to non players
c) there's no RB but lots of $$ committed to non players
3) The Defensive personnel don't fit his scheme
a) the DL are alll small 4-3 types
b) DRob is not a NT
c) The LBs are too small for his scheme
4) He has a 5 year rebuild and only 2-3 years to do it
5) He has to beat Belichick and Saban and they have the ammunition.

Last edited:
AzPatsFan said:

I think he has TWO major undertakings on his hands.
1. Depositing whatever is left of 5 or 6 million dollars (after fed and NY/NJ taxes).
2. Selecting another DC position after a couple of years.

I think he can manage both.

flutie2phelan said:
I think he has TWO major undertakings on his hands.
1. Depositing whatever is left of 5 or 6 million dollars (after fed and NY/NJ taxes).
2. Selecting another DC position after a couple of years.

I think he can manage both.

This will be the seasoning he'll need to take over for BB when he retires or he'll implode and become a career DC.

AzPatsFan said:

1) He's in cap hell and the idiot who did it is his boss!
2) He's got to create an Offense almost from scratch
a) There's no offensive line or even the makings of one.
b) There's no QB but palenty of $$ committed to non players
c) there's no RB but lots of $$ committed to non players
3) The Defensive personnel don't fit his scheme
a) the DL are alll small 4-3 types
b) DRob is not a NT
c) The LBs are too small for his scheme
4) He has a 5 year rebuild and only 2-3 years to do it
5) He has to beat Belichick and Saban and they have the ammunition.

Sounds like a guy who came to New England a few years back. Those factors won't matter in the long run. Either you can coach or you can't. If Mangini turns out to be a good coach, these problems will go away in a year or two. In today's NFL, teams with good coaches don't stay down very long. On the other hand, if he isn't a good coach the Jets are in serious trouble for a long time to come.

patriotsrule said:
Sounds like a guy who came to New England a few years back. Those factors won't matter in the long run. Either you can coach or you can't. If Mangini turns out to be a good coach, these problems will go away in a year or two. In today's NFL, teams with good coaches don't stay down very long. On the other hand, if he isn't a good coach the Jets are in serious trouble for a long time to come.

A similar situation in Cleveland when Belichick was there.

patriotsrule said:

What wasn't mentioned is that Mangini won't have much, if any, say in who the Jets sign. He also doesn't have much of a say in his staff from my understanding.

patriotsrule said:

Bingo. It will take the Jets at the most two years to fix their cap problems. I can't recall a team that was in cap hell taking 3 years to be in good cap shape.

If Mangini is going to blow up the team to fit his scheme, he is going to get at least 3 years before facing the chopping block.

Miguel said:
Bingo. It will take the Jets at the most two years to fix their cap problems. I can't recall a team that was in cap hell taking 3 years to be in good cap shape.

If Mangini is going to blow up the team to fit his scheme, he is going to get at least 3 years before facing the chopping block.

In NY nobody gets at least 3 years to do anything let alone a newer ownership who has appeared easily swayed. Bradway was brought in in 2001 to clean up Parcells mess. He appears to have created one of his own in the process. His reputation via KC was as a talent evaluator but you can't buy the groceries without the money. Nor can you retain groceries you already bought like Law and Abraham. Bradway's deal is up in two years. That is about as long as Eric will have to save them both. Otherwise he is liable to face a new GM complete with all his bright ideas.

Mangini will survive if they improve dramaically over the next two season. Herm left them at such a low point a climb back to .500 territory would probably do it for 2006, but looking at their roster and schedule it could be tough, particularly with Saban and BB in the same division, some tough matchups like Chicago and Indy at home and Jax and Cleveland on the road, and a lot of unknowns to face with their own new HC's and not a lot of film to study. In 2007 it will take at least a winning record and a much improved cap outlook to save Bradway and probably collaterally Mangini. Not to mention a fully functional QB.

Cap Hell? Not sure.

The following was posted on another board:

Redskins | Team's current 2006 salary cap figure at $113 million
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:44:37 -0800

Jason La Canfora, of the Washington Post, reports the Washington Redskins current salary cap figure for the 2006 season is almost $113 million. The league's salary cap is projected to be set at $95 million, a number all NFL teams must be under by March 1.
Jets set to be at 86 mil for 06.

So who knows for sure?

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the defense because Mangini's philosophy isn't even close to what Herm was doing there. You have to assume he'd want to build around Abraham and Law would be a huge asset to them. But both might be gone if Bradway has the final say. DRob is probably a good fit at NT, but having played the 3-technique for 2 years, he'll have a long learning process at the nose. Ironically, their best NT, Jason Ferguson, was jettisoned last offseason. What's even worse, some of their better front 7 players - Jonathan Vilma, Bryan Thomas, James Reed - don't fit into the new scheme at all! I think the Jets' front 7 is really going to suck next year.

Why Change

Why does Mangini have to change to the 3-4???? Because that's what Bill teaches??? The Jets 4-3 DL is solid. The LB's are a player away from being very solid. The secondary needs help with or without Law. I think Mangini has to play tot he strength of his personnel and that means playing the 4-3 and giving Vilma protection so he can roam and make plays. If he plugs the leaky secondary and finds a stud DL, then this defense is one of the best.

Ochmed Jones said:
Why does Mangini have to change to the 3-4???? Because that's what Bill teaches??? The Jets 4-3 DL is solid. The LB's are a player away from being very solid. The secondary needs help with or without Law. I think Mangini has to play tot he strength of his personnel and that means playing the 4-3 and giving Vilma protection so he can roam and make plays. If he plugs the leaky secondary and finds a stud DL, then this defense is one of the best.

I was going to say the same thing. You usually should go with your team strengths first, if you have limited funds and limited time. I would have to say they will keep the 4-3 defense intact there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back