PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mangini's Mess

A great read. Mangini was/is an idiot.

Great article! Mangini was certainly not an idiot. In fact, I really think he is one of the better talent evaluators in the league. In New York, he brought in Ferguson, Mangold, Revis, and Harris, along with a lot of very solid role players. Keep in mind he has never had a real quarterback.

But I think it is clear that Mangini lacks a fundamental skill that is critical to success. He is obviously crappy with people and cannot motivate his team. He seems to have tried to become Belichick so badly that he became more of a caricature of his mentor. Clearly the players never actually bought into his teachings.

Great article! Mangini was certainly not an idiot. In fact, I really think he is one of the better talent evaluators in the league. In New York, he brought in Ferguson, Mangold, Revis, and Harris, along with a lot of very solid role players. Keep in mind he has never had a real quarterback.

But I think it is clear that Mangini lacks a fundamental skill that is critical to success. He is obviously crappy with people and cannot motivate his team. He seems to have tried to become Belichick so badly that he became more of a caricature of his mentor. Clearly the players never actually bought into his teachings.
While your conclusion may or may not be correct, judging the people skills of Eric Mangini from the perspective of a guy who couldn't learn the plays and got cut isn't really a good yardstick.
I am sure that many of the things that he blasts Mangini and 'the other Brady jocksniffer' for are things that BB does as well.

Anyone read the comments?

When Mangini came to Cleveland, the roster was a mess and the team was in salary cap hell. He had to cut 27 players (that's 42% of the active roster) when he got here. Only one of those 27 players had more than 3 starts in 2010, and only two of them were on active NFL rosters by 2011. Electric shock therapy would have been a justified training method for the '09 bunch, but four years later idiots still want to gnash their teeth about memory drills. As a wise man once said, YOU CAN'T WIN IN THE NFL WITH 42% of YOUR ROSTER BEING TRUCK DRIVERS.

Yet one year later the cap problems were effectively solved, and Mangini had the Browns, still with a D-plus (but improving!) roster and no legitimate QB to speak of, registering blowout wins against some of the best teams in the league and competing in every game (only three of their 2010 opponents beat them by more than one score, and only once did they lose by more than 10 points).
@JC Kruse, so we're up to 4 complaints on a roster of how many guys? Wow, that's clearly the majority, good thing you have so much time to do "research" while you're living in your riverboat house. Remember all those times we'd FINALLY get in the red zone, then we'd move back 15 yards because of stupid penalty after stupid penalty and have to settle for a field goal? Mangini corrected those problems and we went from the bottom of the league to the top of the league in fewest penalties. Here's our league rank in penalties:
2007: 30th
2008: 24th
Mangini arrives
2009: 3rd
2010: 4th
Mangini leaves
2011: 12th
2012: 29th
If he was that horrible we wouldn't have seen results like that. Obviously what he was doing with those guys worked and we actually had some discipline on the team. What a surprise though, that millionaire athletes didn't enjoy being forced to work hard during training camps and practices and will complain about the coach that makes them do so.

Mangini was the best coach the browns have had in a long time. He won games against good teams with a mediocre bunch of talent, guys who eventually learned how to play as a team. Under Mangini, the Browns saw a third-string running back rush for almost 300 yards in a game, beat the Steelers, beat New England, beat New Orleans and took the Jets to overtime.

The episode about players being quizzed on the opponents tendencies infront of the team is copied directly from BB, my guess is that a lot of other suff was also. BB was reviled in Cle after he left there also.

I have no doubt that Mangini was rough around the edges, but he isn't a bad coach.

I still think he's a good coach. He just needed to be a little older to pull off the "mean guy" approach. It starts to seem more bufoonish when you start out young.

But I didn't see a single example in that article that I thought was bad coaching technique.

Hmmm. I couldn't help but think that Magina (shocked Mr. Jackson used that term) and Kokinis are BB disciples and copy cats. I wonder how much of what Mr. Hunt witnessed in Cleveland is similar to how things are done at Patriot Place. Perhaps the difference is that these criticisms can be overlooked by others due to the Pats have winning history and better locker room.

Or, the hypothesis that Magina is a lunatic who took mainly bad and little good from his time as a Patriot is accurate.

BB is still deeply reviled here on the lake.

Also. the local media are idiots.

"Brady jock sniffer"???

Oh, he most certainly was an idiot. He squandered obvious capabilities as talent evaluator/coach with a contrived Machiavellian approach to handling people. He ran that team into the ground before the season even started and was a dismal failure because of it. THAT is about as idiotic an approach as it gets. His Capt. Queeg style was bemoaned by players in New Jersey as well, so I don't doubt this account. The fact he hasn't coached in the league since might tell you something (his nebulous "consultant" gig with the 49ers notwithstanding).

Problem with mangini could be that unlike BB most of his players didnt buy into his stuff so where your peers dont respect the coach or set an expectation , any new player will think whatever he wants.If he sees others doing it , he will follow. BB had two advantages in NE. He got some players who played for him before, got brady who listens to whatever he says and won early. After that the senior players police such players so BB has it easier.

Then Mangini presses play on the video system and footage of the morning's warm-ups come onto the screen. He had the warm-ups filmed and the tape cut up and cued up for the meeting. He launches into a biting critique of each player's warm-up performance, excoriating certain players for not having a sense of urgency during the drills, and referring again and again to the mantras that are written in big block letters around the facility. He preaches the importance of living by their words, and humiliates the most glaring examples of those who aren't.
I bet this is a daily occurrence in foxboro even now

Great article and interesting defenses of Mangini. He is an ingrate rat snitch whose Jets teams didn't flourish until Rex got there. His disloyalty to his mentor still limits what he can be.

Thanks for Manny and the 2 World Series , Cleveland...your pal, Joe Kerr

vernon gholston?

I remember some jets fans saying the Pats wanted him but once the jets selected him they traded back and had to settle with the reach of Mayo at #10.

LOL

I remember some jets fans saying the Pats wanted him but once the jets selected him they traded back and had to settle with the reach of Mayo at #10.

LOL

The famous Ray Ray 19 "Jets TRICKED the Pats into taking Mayo!!!!". I had that post archived on a previous rig but the HD shat the bed. I KNOW you can guess the flavor of the post though...in fact...here, here is a piece of sweet candy to savor on this warm summer evening...

RayRay1 Nov 14, 2011 4:48 am (#5445
Total: 17124)

Congrats Cheats

Can't get any lucky then the Pats

Jets off all night in all 3 phases, timely penalties, too much thinking.

Rex had the Jets thinking too much, sometimes you just need to go out
and play, no way Pats should win this game, no way the Jets should lose it

Jets beat themselves by overthinking, and then you have Brady doing what
he does best, dissect a defense that is confused and is not ready

Wrong defensive game plan, press and go after the QB, BB won the chess
game tonight.

Jets will be there at the end, they let the Pats get in thier heads tonight.

the LEGENDARY "Jets thinking too much, beat themselves" post...now THIS is gold, Jerry...solid gold...

BB is still deeply reviled here on the lake.

Also. the local media are idiots.

"Brady jock sniffer"???
With all due respect to where you live (everybody's gotta be from somewhere), I would consider being deeply reviled in Cleveland a significant compliment.

The best detail in the piece was Jackson having to interrupt his reviling of all things Mangini to marvel at how good the food in the commissary is.

The best detail in the piece was Jackson having to interrupt his reviling of all things Mangini to marvel at how good the food in the commissary is.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was part of Magini's weird mind-control scheme: beat them down regularly but give them this luxurious reward to look forward to.

Honestly, reading the article, this guy just comes off as a ***** that is still pissed he got cut, even though he should have seen it coming seeing as everything seemed to be way beyond him and he was complaining about being hurt all the time.

the article can be summed up as "oh, look at me, i couldn't grasp the offense and my body was in terrible shape. but THIS guy, THIS guy had no right to cut me. i mean damn, who the hell cares about knowing an opposing teams tendencies? or following a certain code?"

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back