Mangini Wont be interviewed until Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Jets | Team to interview Mangini Sunday
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 21:34:19 -0800

John Tomase, of the Boston Herald, reports New England Patriots defensive coordinator Eric Mangini will interview for the New York Jets head coaching job Sunday, Jan. 15, at a hotel near Foxboro. According to NFL rules, if the Jets didn't seek permission this week to talk to Mangini, they'd have lost the right until the Patriots either won the Super Bowl or were eliminated from the playoffs.

Guess everyone can relax that he isnt focused on dever..

Chris said:
Jets | Team to interview Mangini Sunday
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 21:34:19 -0800

John Tomase, of the Boston Herald, reports New England Patriots defensive coordinator Eric Mangini will interview for the New York Jets head coaching job Sunday, Jan. 15, at a hotel near Foxboro. According to NFL rules, if the Jets didn't seek permission this week to talk to Mangini, they'd have lost the right until the Patriots either won the Super Bowl or were eliminated from the playoffs.

Guess everyone can relax that he isnt focused on dever..

NO! We need Sunday to begin preparations for the AFCCG against Pittsburgh! Damn Jets ...

Isn't this the same Jets team that timed their overtures to Bill Parcells to reach their peak only hours before a Super Bowl?

If you want to get hired as an NFL HC, you don't just show up for the interview. Unless Mangini has been doing interview preparation before, he has a lot of work to do outlining exactly what kind of program he'd run as a HC.

BelichickFan said:
If you want to get hired as an NFL HC, you don't just show up for the interview. Unless Mangini has been doing interview preparation before, he has a lot of work to do outlining exactly what kind of program he'd run as a HC.

You are, of course, assuming that Mangini actually wants the job. Just because Mangini is/may be at the top of the JEST wish list does not, in fact, mean that Mangini wants to coach for the JEST. :)

ctpatsfan77 said:
You are, of course, assuming that Mangini actually wants the job. Just because Mangini is/may be at the top of the JEST wish list does not, in fact, mean that Mangini wants to coach for the JEST. :)
Yes but even if he doesn't want that job he doesn't want to leave the interview being looked at as an unprepared bozo. With just 32 jobs, word gets around about good interviews and bad ones.

I don't think that there's anything to worry about. Eric was given permission to interview and no way would that happen if there was any concern it would hurt the team prep for these games! This has all the markings of PRACTICE INTERVIEWing all over it!

In this connection, it is interesting that profootballtalk.com reports this morning ... that Broncos' OC Gary Kubiak - having already won the interview process at the Houston Texans - seems set to be become the Texans HC ... as soon as Denver is eliminated from the playoffs.

So, something else on HIS mind, too.

EDIT: i see that Dryheat already has a thread up on Kubiak.

Last edited:
The team plays Sat night& flies back late. During the plane ride I'm sure Eric and BB will be doing game planning.

the Colts and Steelers play on Sunday and by 4:30, Eric's interview must be over. I'm sure that was one of the conditions given to the JEST.

PATSNUTme said:
The team plays Sat night& flies back late. During the plane ride I'm sure Eric and BB will be doing game planning.
I don't think there'll be much game planning needed for the Colts or Steelers. We've played them so much, those guys know them like the back of their hands. Discussing what to do, sure, but they won't need intensive film study like they would if we played, say, Chicago in the Super Bowl.

Remember last year when Charlie Weis's job interview, recruiting, etc. was going to cause him to be distracted and cost the Patriots the playoffs and Super Bowl?

flutie2phelan said:
In this connection, it is interesting that profootballtalk.com reports this morning ... that Broncos' OC Gary Kubiak - having already won the interview process at the Houston Texans - seems set to be become the Texans HC ... as soon as Denver is eliminated from the playoffs.

So, something else on HIS mind, too.

EDIT: i see that Dryheat already has a thread up on Kubiak.

So that settles it. Our "D" will be distracted and their "O" will be distracted. So the game boils down to our "O" against their "D." :eek:

Last edited:
A Bad situation...

There is specualtion on the Jets boards and fan radio, that Mangini is viewed as an interim hire until the Jets can straighten out their team and cap.. Good Luck!

Eric should want ..."An opportunity, NOT a sentence..."

The Jets situation is not ideal.. He is being interviewed by Terry Bradway, who is part of the problem. The first thing that Mangini needs is to clean house and that INCLUDES Bradway. He was the doofus who traded two firsts and a fourth for DRob. It now turns out that DRob has no cartilege left in his knee, and it will be doubtful if he can play more than another year or two. , Thats's two strikes for Bradway right there. Overpaying and not checking the physicals...

Plus they have no QB but do have GUARANTEED millions committed to guys who can't play anymore in Penny and INTerverde. They have GUARANTEED millions committed to CuMar, who is fading. The team is full of overpaid, aging players, Mawae, Kendell, John Abraham, Ty Law to name a few.

Think of Saban, OTOH. He got total control and the previous regime in its last year cleaned house on the cap to a degree, clearing the deck, sort of. That's what type of situation that Eric should be looking for, IMHO.

AzPatsFan said:
Think of Saban, OTOH. He got total control and the previous regime in its last year cleaned house on the cap to a degree, clearing the deck, sort of. That's what type of situation that Eric should be looking for, IMHO.
Someone with no HC experience at all will never get total control. Never. Mangini needs to ally himself with a good GM, and there's the real problem with the Jets job. I think there's a 75% chance Bradway gets canned within a year, and who knows who'll come in? Mangini should have learned from BB's exit from NY.

Schefter just covered this on NFL Network. He says the JETS request to interview Mangini this week was initially turned down by BB because of our Saturday game with Denver. He then told the JETS they could interview him only on Sunday. Apparently the JETS were pissed because the are so hot for him they clearly want to offer him the job ASAP even before interviewing.

Schefter says the conventional wisdom is now forming that BB will strongly counsel Mangini against taking this position and waiting a year or more until the right kind of situation comes along. Because of the JETS overall management, QB situation, and looming cap problems, he will liken it to his first HC job in Cleveland (a bad career move in hindsight).

Many people now believe Mangini is not likely to take the job, and if he doesn't Schefter predicts they will go to one of the retreads (oops I mean experienced former HC's) they have already interviewed. He felt they would go Tice, Fassel, Haslett in that order depending on continued availability.

No wonder Mangini is the front runner without even interviewing.....

my take...

MoLewisrocks said:
Schefter just covered this on NFL Network. He says the JETS request to interview Mangini this week was initially turned down by BB because of our Saturday game with Denver. He then told the JETS they could interview him only on Sunday. Apparently the JETS were pissed because the are so hot for him they clearly want to offer him the job ASAP even before interviewing.

Schefter says the conventional wisdom is now forming that BB will strongly counsel Mangini against taking this position and waiting a year or more until the right kind of situation comes along. Because of the JETS overall management, QB situation, and looming cap problems, he will liken it to his first HC job in Cleveland (a bad career move in hindsight).

Many people now believe Mangini is not likely to take the job, and if he doesn't Schefter predicts they will go to one of the retreads (oops I mean experienced former HC's) they have already interviewed. He felt they would go Tice, Fassel, Haslett in that order depending on continued availability.

No wonder Mangini is the front runner without even interviewing.....

BB won't hold people back. I'm thinking pretty surely that Mangini will be gone.
Good for him. He deserves it. No worries - we'll have good coaching in place in either way.

People keep saying that the Jets are the ones interviewing Mangini. Personally, I think its the other way around. Especially with how much of a SNAFU the Jets are in.

Bradyway is a moron. Plain and Simple. Mangini is one of the brightest up and coming coaches. I think that Mangini knows this. And I don't think he is going to take a position where he feels he can't work with the GM. And, with as bad a Bradway is, I am sure he'd have to offer the farm to Mangini for Mangini to even think about taking the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back