Not open for further replies.

borg

Pro Bowl Player
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Just got this tidbit.
Apparently BB caught wind that Mangini was interviewing with the Jets and banned Mangini from Gillette when BB discovered that Mangini was secretly recruiting Patriots staff.

borg said:
Just got this tidbit.
Apparently BB caught wind that Mangini was interviewing with the Jets and banned Mangini from Gillette when BB discovered that Mangini was secretly recruiting Patriots staff.

Are you listening to Fred on WEEI again?

Mangini couldn't interview with the JETS until BB gave him permission to. Otherwise believe you me BB would have filed tampering charges...:D

Was he locked out when he came back from the interview? Probably, but the post season was over then as I recall. And if he was recruiting staff he didn't have much success. He had a hard time recruiting any staff including former Patriots staff from anywhere as I recall.

MoLewisrocks said:
Mangini couldn't interview with the JETS until BB gave him permission to. Otherwise believe you me BB would have filed tampering charges...:D
That's not true, an assistant is allowed to interview for head coaching positions with other clubs at designated times (like during the offseason or or the pre-Superbowl week window) even without their club's permission.

Pujo said:
That's not true, an assistant is allowed to interview for head coaching positions with other clubs at designated times (like during the offseason or or the pre-Superbowl week window) even without their club's permission.
Right rule, wrong facts.

It was during your playoff preparation week for the game against Denver. The Jets had to arrange an agreeable interview time with Bill Belichick because it was that playoff week. Tantamount to asking permission.

If I remember correctly, Mangini interviewed with the Jets about five minutes after stepping off the plane from Denver - a Sunday night, I think. That was the only time on which the teams could agree. I think the meeting took place at Mike Tannenbaum's parents' house (or something) in Medfield.

EDIT: By the way, for the purposes of this thread do we have to assume that Eric Mangini doesn't know how to use a telephone?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey