PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mangini used Belichick’s strategy against Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was January, 1991, and then-Giants defensive coordinator Bill Belichick devised a brilliant plan that slowed down the high-scoring, quick-strike Bills in Super Bowl XXV. Instead of the usual 3-4 scheme, Belichick employed a two-man line — a 2-4-5 alignment. The strategy came with this unorthodox charge: If Thurman Thomas rushes for 100 yards, Belichick told the defensive players, we’ll win.

It was a rope-a-dope, and it worked perfectly. Essentially, the Giants made the Bills run (Thomas got his 100), taking the ball out of Jim Kelly’s hands and shortening the game.
On Sunday, Mangini used Belichick’s strategy against Belichick, and it kept the Jets in the game against the heavily-favored Patriots. The Jets wound up losing, 20-10, in the so-called Spy Bowl in Foxborough, the latest chapter in the blood feud between the two divisional rivals, but they may have uncovered a way to beat the undefeated, history-seeking Patriots.

Make them run. Make them hold the ball. Make them work for it Make them score the old-fashioned way, with long, methodical drives. Test their patience. Better to surrender five yards a pop than to suffer the quick death, say, a 50-yard pass from Tom Brady to Randy Moss.

Full Article :
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22289847/

Utterly ridiculous. I got the feeling the Pats CHOSE to run and establish a running game with consistency rather than the Jets forcing them to it.

There is no parallel.

Maybe the weather had something to do with NE's struggles in the passing game?

Oh, and the Jets were crashing the LOS on a number of those runs.

bad weather is not a good excuse for not playing well. 10 pts for 4 Qs.? It's pathetic.

It was lucky that jet's O was no good. Otherwise, we would be in heap of trouble.

Last edited:
I think Manboobs was screwing up the timing on our pass routes. Moss is a good wildcard, because it doesn't matter if he's open.

All the other receivers are supposed to come open at a certain time. It doesn't matter if the guy on the right gets open when Tom's looking left.

Manrat was a good DB coach who had to work with a patchwork secondary on the Pats.

Probably not a coincidence that ex Pat Poteat was in on so many plays.

bad weather is not a good excuse for not playing well. 10 pts for 4 Qs.? It's pathetic.

It was lucky that jet's O was no good. Otherwise, we would be in heap of trouble.

You are a very silly person.:p

If the Jets had used only 2 DL for the majority of the game, the Pat's would have run all over them. Mangini had a good defensive game plan, which essentially involved the LB's not getting set until after Brady has made adjustments. That was apparently based on the Steelers first half when they had success doing that against the Pat's, and no doubt the Pat's will see that tactic again. Also the Jets had 2 DL's switch positions after getting set which led directly to Brady being sacked.

I've been seeing and hearing things that sound as if the Jets scored a big moral victory yesterday.

So instead of 3-11 does that make them 3.5 -10.5?

I'm sure that's exactly what it was - luck. Fortunately, we've been lucky a lot this year. ;)

i'll be a silly person when I criticize our team poor performance.?

When they led the whole game and won by doubling the opponents score and controlling the ball on the ground in terrible conditions?....

I never saw a win I didn't like.

I never felt like the better team lost and I don't believe in moral victories.

Winning isn't everything...It is the only thing.

That's the guy they named the trophy after.

Constructive criticism is specific, intended to point out areas we can improve. I see nothing of the sort there. I would categorize that as a whine, pure and simple.

I tend to agree though, and I see Belichick use this strategy all the time, people say the run defense is weak but I usually see it as taking the offensive strategy of "take what the defense gives you" and turning it around and deciding what to give the offense.

Ok now here is my question , if their defense allowed us to run , why does maroney came up only with 4 and 5 yards , where are the 19 yearders that dillon used to put on sundays in/out .
And remember , the jets focused on the pass this sunday .... i am still not convinced about our running game .

Basically because the linemen at the second level are like line backers who now can read and react rather then having to fight through a block to figure out what is going on.

Now if one were to play this defense all the time it would be less effective because a patient team would never throw the ball and get TD's or field goals on every drive.

Maybe the weather had something to do with NE's struggles in the passing game?

Oh, and the Jets were crashing the LOS on a number of those runs.

yes ... if the weather was just average we crush them cuz they suck.
So the bad weather helped the vertical smiled Mangina save some face.

It was January, 1991, and then-Giants defensive coordinator Bill Belichick devised a brilliant plan that slowed down the high-scoring, quick-strike Bills in Super Bowl XXV. Instead of the usual 3-4 scheme, Belichick employed a two-man line — a 2-4-5 alignment. The strategy came with this unorthodox charge: If Thurman Thomas rushes for 100 yards, Belichick told the defensive players, we’ll win.

It was a rope-a-dope, and it worked perfectly. Essentially, the Giants made the Bills run (Thomas got his 100), taking the ball out of Jim Kelly’s hands and shortening the game.
On Sunday, Mangini used Belichick’s strategy against Belichick, and it kept the Jets in the game against the heavily-favored Patriots. The Jets wound up losing, 20-10, in the so-called Spy Bowl in Foxborough, the latest chapter in the blood feud between the two divisional rivals, but they may have uncovered a way to beat the undefeated, history-seeking Patriots.

Make them run. Make them hold the ball. Make them work for it Make them score the old-fashioned way, with long, methodical drives. Test their patience. Better to surrender five yards a pop than to suffer the quick death, say, a 50-yard pass from Tom Brady to Randy Moss.

Full Article :
The only difference was that Belichick MADE it snow/rain/sleet back in 1991 Mangina got lucky

I hate when people say this game was close.. if you take fluke plays out of the score. (Both blocked punts)
Pats win 13-3. Not close.
Sorry Jets.

Full Article :

Uh oh, another "blueprint"? :D
This game was close because Tom Brady had one of the worst games of his career and it wasn't all mother natures' fault. Just an awful game by Brady. Chad Pennington was much more effective. Guys were open all day but Brady was either forcing throws to Moss or was throwing the ball in front of, in back of or into the ground. The beauty is these games are being won when major elements of this team are misfiring.
Tom Brady won't have another game like Sunday the rest of the season. :rocker:

Full Article :

That article is hilarious...

So let me get this straight:

On a day in which the weather took away the passing game and favored the run, Mangini implemented a strategy which denied the pass and favored the run?

Looks like he's earning his nickname of MangIdiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes