PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mangini never intended this to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Curran was on FSNE tonight and said he thought (info from mangini?) that the jets desperately tried to get their hands on the tape before NFL Security got it, to no avail, because the Pats security team wouldn't allow it.

To me, it makes perfect sense. EM wa trying to prevent BB from continuing his practice of taping (for future games?). BB didn't. EM tried to stop it by seizing the tape, and it got totally out of hand.

Personally? I believe it. If you watch the tape of the game, mangini was VERY upset during the game, before it got out of hand, after the altercation began (before halftime). I thought it was because the Jets were getting beat. Looking at it again? I think he was upset because he knew this could destroy a lifetime of relationships, and possibly his career in the NFL, certainly his relationship with his best friend, his mentor, his hero, Bill Belichick.

Could this be one reason BB looks somewhat calm in the intervews? Or why the commish was pretty lenient in the punishment? Did Mangini go to the commish and make his case defending BB? Did BB hear his side of it?

Honestly? I think this is the truth. It feels right to me. Mangini just doesn't have it in him to do this. He isn't the scumbag he would have to be to do this.

Who knows? But this is a case where a person's "intentions" don't mean jack-s#!t. Mangini's actions had mean-spirited and long standing consequences for the man who elevated him from water boy to NFL coach. This will come home to haunt him. In the end, he will be far worse off than Belichick for what he did. And, i think he knows that.

Maybe he thought that this was just one more chapter in his ongoing campaign to "one up" Belichick. If you follow the logic of the poster and argue for the moment that his intent was only to seize the tape and not "go public," you would also have to logically accept that, once the tape was behind closed doors in the Jets lockerroom, there was no way he could go public with it since the rational response by the patriots and any objective observer would be that the Jets had created the tape and were now pulling a dirty trick on the Patriots by trying to say they made it. It would give him, however, a chip in his poker game with Belichick. But, that's as far as I'm willing to go.

None of the above changes the fact that, once he set the sequence of events in motion, he should have anticipated that ANYTHING could happen.

Eric Mangini is responsible for everything that happened as a result of what he started.

His intentions don't matter in the least.

He is a stupid, ungrateful, untrustworthy low-life and a total jerk. And, his players, colleagues and management now know that.

I hope that when the Jest come to Foxboro, fans bring cheese and throw it at the Ratfink.

How about throwing little toy rubber rats with the jets logo on it.

It was premeditatated, if he cared about belichick at all, he never would have gone to the jets in the first place.

I read somewhere that one of the unwritten codes of the coaching world is you're not supposed to take a job in the same division as the guy who gave you your first job.

Judas and His Jets

I wonder if the commissioner is happy with this result.

By clumsily handling an infraction of one of its 2000 rules, a rule which, on close inspection, is ridiculous because of its specificity (and I think the rule is in place not because of fear of "cheating," but because the NFL is bound and determined to control every teeny bit of video taken at its games), it has soiled the reputation of one of its finest coaches, cast doubt on the outcomes of its premier event, let the "stealing signals" cat out of the bag so all games are looked at with some degree of skepticism (except for Tony Dungy who is pure as the driven snow--just ask him), and moved the focus of the press and the fans from the games themselves to this manufactured scandal that shows no signs of abating.

Surely this could not be what he intended, could it?

Above is just the most recent of an extraordinary chain of posts seething with controlled anger
... an anger and resentment i share to the hilt.

Away from the board for a couple days due to travel, i return to two pieces of surprising good news - - amidst the terrible.
First, a great number of the posters i admire here remain firmly unwilling to buy into
the fraudulent "cheater" claim
that all too many erstwhile Pats fans chanted in the first days of the scandal.

Second, the NFL coaching fraternity seems to have discerned who is really to blame ... why ... and how.
I had expected them to revel in the media-created mudstorm against Belichick
and our team.

I can only join in wishing MangiaPuke
all the worst in the rest of his faithless career.
2007's easy front runner for the
Judas Iscariot Prize for Perfidy.

I continued to be embarrassed by the homers in patriot nation.

Ian, do you really want this level of discourse to be the norm? If so, I hope you do profit from it in some way. i know it's a lot of work, but for such an inferior product, I hope it's worth it. it's embarrassing to fans who are interested in NFL football. For ball-washing homers? This is the place to be.

You may have issues with the sometimes pathetic level of discourse on this board. But you are way off base on this one - this thread isn't a very good example of it.

You want a good example ? Wait till they let NEM back on the main forum.

R

The fatal flaw with Curran's theory is that, according to the published reports, the videotaper was confronted by BOTH NFL Security and Jets security - and were questioned by both from the word go. Since the NFL security was involved from the very beginning - it could only have been done in conspiracy with them.

I do agree, however, that while he was surely out to embarass BB, I'm SURE that he had no clue that the backsplash was going to hit him too. It's hard to find anyone who isn't painting him as a cheater too - and a rat fink to boot. That would explain his mouselike, subdued press conference.

Certainly he's going to have a hard time coaching in this league after he is fired at the end of this year.

R

Certainly he's going to have a hard time coaching in this league after he is fired at the end of this year.

If you think BB will get fired at the end of this year, then you need to take some strong medicine and get some much-needed rest. You're getting delusional. BB will be in New England for years to come.

Currans trying to suck up to Mangina and put the best spin in his ratfink routine

So what do all of you think that Belicheck would have done if he caught the Jets cheating at your stadium? Would he have laughed it off?

Whatever happened to Curran?
I used to respect his opinion...
And now he comes up with this crapola fluff story to defend Mangini?

Wow sometimes people change... for the worse.
If Curran and Ratgini are in the same boat together, well that makes 2 people that have dropped off the respectability meter.

This whole theory is a total crock

If you think BB will get fired at the end of this year, then you need to take some strong medicine and get some much-needed rest. You're getting delusional. BB will be in New England for years to come.

Let me fix NJ's post for you. :D

I do agree, however, that while Ratgini was surely out to embarass BB, I'm SURE that Ratgini had no clue that the backsplash was going to hit him too. It's hard to find anyone who isn't painting Ratgini as a cheater too - and a rat fink to boot. That would explain Ratgini's mouselike, subdued press conference.

Certainly Ratgini's going to have a hard time coaching in this league after he is fired at the end of this year.

I definitely think Mangina did it to embarrass BB....he knew that BB always has done this..and he basically was on the way to ruin him. The fact that he has wanted to do that 1---shows what an ungrateful piece of manure he is doing that to someone who gave you many opportunities to get to where one is..I mean Judas is a good name for him...2---he also by doing this vroke the code of silence about what goes on in the NFL...I think many wished to keep it all hush-hush and now, who knows how many more times other scandals about spying cheating will pop up in Goodel''ls hands. All started by this snake.
I do NOT think coaches like that 3----This firestorm has really taken a chunk out of the Patriots, but in doing so..might some question Mangina's past and how really qualified he is?? THAT I think he did not think about and frankly, when he goes down, I will not care at all. He burned a lot of bridges by what he did last Sunday.

Tom Curran was on FSNE tonight and said he thought (info from mangini?) that the jets desperately tried to get their hands on the tape before NFL Security got it, to no avail, because the Pats security team wouldn't allow it.

To me, it makes perfect sense. EM wa trying to prevent BB from continuing his practice of taping (for future games?). BB didn't. EM tried to stop it by seizing the tape, and it got totally out of hand.

Personally? I believe it. If you watch the tape of the game, mangini was VERY upset during the game, before it got out of hand, after the altercation began (before halftime). I thought it was because the Jets were getting beat. Looking at it again? I think he was upset because he knew this could destroy a lifetime of relationships, and possibly his career in the NFL, certainly his relationship with his best friend, his mentor, his hero, Bill Belichick.

Could this be one reason BB looks somewhat calm in the intervews? Or why the commish was pretty lenient in the punishment? Did Mangini go to the commish and make his case defending BB? Did BB hear his side of it?

Honestly? I think this is the truth. It feels right to me. Mangini just doesn't have it in him to do this. He isn't the scumbag he would have to be to do this.

From Tom Curran's article from yesterday:

Eric Mangini
I wonder how he’s sleeping this week. Belichick gave him his start in the league and shepherded from Cleveland to New York to New England before Mangini got the job with the Jets and -- presumably -- cried foul on a practice he’d been a part of when he was with the club. Unless it comes to light he wasn’t involved in dropping a dime on the Patriots, he is dead to Belichick and the rest of his former friends in the Patriots organization. On the other hand, it’s worth noting that Mangini was merely doing what he’d been taught long ago by Belichick. If you can diminish the opponent, if you can get an edge, if it will help your team succeed, you do it.

http://www.nbcsports.com/portal/sit...0VgnVCM10000075c1d240RCRD&cpsextcurrchannel=1

So, in other words, Curran had no inside information and was speculating which you took as facts and turned the speculation up a notch by reading into Mangini's expressions on the sideline when not even Curran knows if Mangini knew what was going on at the time and putting your personal feelings for Mangini into your speculation. Then you went way overboard in insulting people who didn't agree with you for doing the same thing.

It is pretty clear from Curran's article he has no idea what Mangini was thinking during the game, whether he was even involved, or even if he regrets the whole thing.

well...given that it's reported the Jets want to add charges of jamming signals etc..I really think that this thread is BS...if he did NOT intend to...then there is NO reason to continue it all.

Hey Pats fans, I couldn't resist one more take on the subject. Acutally, in the midst of all your denial, you make some good points. But...

this thread is a prime example of how a rapist defends himself in court by claiming the victim asked for it. "It was consensual sex your honor!"

I will agree with all of you here though. Mangini's career is phuct. Suddenly, I see a way to explain WHY BB was so obvious on the sidelines with his video lackey.

Here is the conspiracy: BB baited Mangini into this situation and has effectively killed the guy's future as a head coach. The presence of the video guy obviously got under Mangini's skin. The Jets were awful (possibly because Mangini was distracted to the max) and I bet they'll suck all season long.

If remotely true, it is a master stroke by your resident genius, BB.

WHO, BTW is NOT the victim here. I hate this damn story and it does nothing to improve my impression of BB's idea of sportsmanship. The man goes too far and it could explain why a guy like Dungy would lash out when he didn't need to do that. I agree with you (again) that BB wouldn't of commented if Dungy was the cheater. But he hates the press more than any coach alive. He might of commented if the cheater was Mangini...

BB doesn't give a crap what people think of his methods, so why should he expect any friends to come to his defense now that his character is being questioned? What a train wreck. Somehow, I'm beginning to believe this entire scene has unfolded EXACTLY how BB planned it.

Any one buying it?

Actually this thread is about townspeople defending an innocent man from a mob.

<sigh>

I was talking about Mangini. The thread is about Mangini. Mangini is the one in the hotseat for his job if the Jets flop this year.

C'mon get with it.

R

I was waiting for this thread to re-appear. One reason why this is not going away is due to the NY Jets refusal to let it go away. Can't wait to they visit us. You think Raymond Berry and Tony Eason were booed all game (Flutie, Tampa Bay game), we haven't heard anything. I can see Brady starting the game with a spread formation. By this time, the Patriots will have heard from almost every away game crowd and will be playing post Thanksgiving smashmouth football. I pity those freakin' lowly jets.

Yes, DEFINITELY kiss goodbye the notion that EM feels bad about how this all just sort of, what, "got away from him?" Um...NO. F you, EM. Your NFL career began to END last week. It's only a matter of how long it takes the jets to fire you - two years? Three? And then it's done. Good work, ASS.

Yes he is. Either that or he has no real sway in the organization because they are STILL *****ing. What has yet to be explained is his logic. If the Pats were cheating while he was here, his credentials are meaningless and he never deserved to be a head coach to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes