PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Mangini has strategy for slaying dragon"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The article seems mostly about their backup QB . . . LOL.

This is known as "whistling past the cemetery."

Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Right... Pats 2nd best run d last year and we did not lose anyone. Seems like Mangina's plan might be difficult to execute!

I like how he says maybe the Jets don't trade up and draft Revis if the Patriots don't trade for Randy Moss. The Jets traded up for Revis on draft day, the Patriots traded for Moss on day 2 of the draft AFTER Revis had already been drafted.

I like how he says maybe the Jets don't trade up and draft Revis if the Patriots don't trade for Randy Moss. The Jets traded up for Revis on draft day, the Patriots traded for Moss on day 2 of the draft AFTER Revis had already been drafted.

Don't they have to, like sign Revis and actually get him into a uniform and on the field for it to potentially make a difference???????

Delusional = NY Jets fans.

I got a kick out of Belichick's
"hunger and desperation to win that elusive fourth Super Bowl"
which implies Mangini is calmly and dispassionately going after his first.

btw if a 4th SB is 'elusive' after two years pursuing it, what adjective do you use to describe a 2nd SB pursued for 38 years?

Note: I'm quoting the author at this thread's link of course, not BB.

:rofl: :rofl: :violent: :violent:

I hope they run at us 16 straight times to start the game. Man, Chad is going to be pissed that he only got 10 chances to throw, and the RBs are going to be mad that they ran into a brick wall 20 times, as the Jets go on to set a record for fewest offensive plays in a game.

so the genius plan is to have a running game?? By God we're doomed.

Mangini's grand strategy must involve eating plenty of donuts, pretending to be a protege of Parcells and neglecting to field a pass rush.

Mangini's grand strategy must involve eating plenty of donuts, pretending to be a protege of Parcells and neglecting to field a pass rush.

No, no NO!!! Over at Jets Insider they're praising The Puffin commenting how he's lost weight and is lean and mean for the season. We're doomed!

Any team with a solid running game can win in the NFL, obvious statement.

I have often thought over the past few years that the running game would be the way to beat the Pats. Just look at all the game turning interceptions by Law, Bruschi, et al.

If the Jets pound us with the running game and we can't stop it, defense gets tired, we lose.

But I still like our chances. (I wish our second string DLine was better tho)

I have often thought over the past few years that the running game would be the way to beat the Pats. Just look at all the game turning interceptions by Law, Bruschi, et al.

If the Jets pound us with the running game and we can't stop it, defense gets tired, we lose.

"I wish our second string DLine was..."

JAYZUS!!! LOL... okay, what we have is a tremendous starting D-Line, and at least one backup, Jarvis Green, who starts on most other team's D-Lines. I won't go into the much heralded LeKevin Smith et al., mainly because I have not seen enough. Point is, there's a reason backups are backups. They're not as good as starters. And our starting D-Line is young enough that the backups aren't out there in droves. When Green is on the field, he is a playmaker with a capital P. Everybody has also been impressed with the progress of Mike Wright.

I just don't see D-Line as a huge hole for the Pats.

Now, if you are worried about the run D, the LB depth is definitely a place to start. We're crossing our fingers there to a certain extent. A lot depends on Seau getting out a good 8-10 games worth, rather than 4 or 2 (his Miami seasons were plagued with injury, and he missed half of last year.) AD was a HUGE pickup, and we all have our favorites from among the youngsters. Lua obviously had a bad first outing; we'll see throughout this preseason whether he's picking the scheme up fluidly or not. Alexander was burned badly in the Indy game - going by what we know thus far, he's still a question mark. Woods? Everybody says he's progressing... but we have to see it on a regular season field for a protracted period before we feel too solid there.

Chad Brown? That reminds me of the old joke about people getting remarried: "Hey, this milk is sour! I'll put it back in the fridge... maybe it'll be good tomorrow." But then again, maybe BB sees something we don't. Bruschi and Vrabel, I still trust, and Colvin is a monster on the outside. Vrabel and AD both have versatility to play inside or outside, and Colvin and Bruschi complement each other, one outside and one inside, to help stabilize the starters.

All this to say -- I think we still have one of the strongest front 7s in football. But at LB, you might be an injury or two away from a very average unit.

That's the real worry -- we'd all love that stellar CB to make our secondary great, not good... but passing is a risky proposition. Present a weak or even mediocre rush defense, and you get carved up like a thankgiving turkey. Present a weakest point in the secondary, and the opposing QB has to beat you with his arm. Not every one of them can.

And that's why Mangini wants to win it in the trenches.

He's no dummy, but "Let's have a running game" is also not rocket science. He's basically aware that you must win in the trenches -- better to be aware of it than not.

PFnV

True- if SD keeps running in the playoffs that's an "L" for us.

On the topic at hand, there is no way that the Jets can "overtake" the Pats with Chad Pennington at QB (unless Brady retires tomorrow).

Did it ever come to that idiots attention that the Jets actually have to play defense once in a while? Did it occur to him that the Jets had one of the worst run defenses last season?

Unless the strategy involves associates of Tony Soprano and others in the Jersey Waste Management industry, along with key NFL referees, I'm thinking that this sort of bold talk in August, plus $.99 will buy only you a cup of coffee.

Did it ever come to that idiots attention that the Jets actually have to play defense once in a while? Did it occur to him that the Jets had one of the worst run defenses last season?

yeah, the winning combination isn't just having a good running game. It's having a great defense with a great running game. Just like with the 2000 Baltimore Ravens or what Denver tends to do. When Baltimore won the superbowl, Jamal Lewis had a monster year and their defense was impossible. And of course, the weakness to the game plan is if the defense doesn't hold up. If it doesn't, then they have to come from behind--meaning passing the ball. Now the team is forced to not use its strength, the running game. And oh wait, the Jets don't have a great defense. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down