PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mangini Bus Trip: Media Haters or 'Sophisticated Hazing'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine bought a house back in the '80s and learned that a Pats head coach (not sure if it was Erhardt or Fairbanks) was a previous owner. The neighbors all told her the story of how the back porch was built by Patriots players during off-season training time! I guess Mangini's just a throwback, eh?

If it was Erhardt's team, I'm not standing on that porch.:D

But that's exactly the problem. He knew perfectly well that these kids, most of whom are longshots to make the team, have to do absolutely anything he asks. So he takes advantage of his position of power to make them devote their weekend to a long and arduous personal favor: staffing his personal football camp. This is NOT about charity; spending 20 hours on a bus does nothing to help the underprivileged. It's about coercing unpaid labor.

A friend of mine bought a house back in the '80s and learned that a Pats head coach (not sure if it was Erhardt or Fairbanks) was a previous owner. The neighbors all told her the story of how the back porch was built by Patriots players during off-season training time! I guess Mangini's just a throwback, eh?

BTW, anybody think Mangini himself took a bus from Cleveland to Hartford?
Oh, sure, I agree 100% that Mangini is a dink of collossal proportions. Doesn't matter. Rookies on the bubble need to do whatever they can to make the team. It isn't like you and I applying in several similar industries/companies for a job. They have to get invited to apply, and unlike us, they have been working hard for 3/4 of thier lives for this one shot.

They should be embracing this as a chance to get a leg up on their competition, not complaining about it.

Oh, sure, I agree 100% that Mangini is a dink of collossal proportions. Doesn't matter. Rookies on the bubble need to do whatever they can to make the team. It isn't like you and I applying in several similar industries/companies for a job. They have to get invited to apply, and unlike us, they have been working hard for 3/4 of thier lives for this one shot.

They should be embracing this as a chance to get a leg up on their competition, not complaining about it.

I'm sure the rookies who made that trip and eventually get cut will have fond memories of Tubby Ratfink.

Its so funny when they come up with this stuff. A couple of good results at the Browns and some kid is playing out of his skin, they interview him and he praises Mangini and says that the bus trip brought him down to earth and then they will rave about how Mangini is a genius or that he clearly picked up a few things from BB.

If he has bad results this bus trip was a sign that the man is not up to it.

The media is like that person you love to hate, the guy who berates people when they are down on their luck and cuddles up with successful people. When a down on his luck guy makes it, he forgets all he has ever said about him and cuddles up to him too.

Last edited:
It's funny. Usually when a coach or player runs these types of charity camps they have no problem getting some players to come help out.

In Mangini's case apparently he has to force rookies on the bubble to come.

I'll be intereseted to hear if there's any veteran players from the Browns or Jets that came out to pitch in and make a good camp for the kids... or if the reason Mangini forced the rookies to go was because he has no "friends" among veteran players.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]From the CBA (Article XXXV and Appendix L) with relevant info in red and my take at the end.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

ARTICLE XXXV
Section 2. Time Periods:
(a) Subject to the limitations in Subsection (b) below, from the end of the previous NFL season until the
opening of training camp, Clubs may schedule or conduct off-season workout programs for no more than
fourteen total weeks, and no more than four workouts per week, for any individual player. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Such workout[/FONT]
programs shall not be permitted on weekends. During such workout programs, there may be no more than
fourteen (14) days of organized team practice activity, to be defined by the Player/Club Operations Committee.
Nothing herein shall prevent a Club from permitting

Section 8. Enforcement:
(a) The head coach, who is responsible for any conduct in violation of Sections 5 or 6 of this Article
(including but not limited to the rules in Appendix L), shall be subject to a fine to be determined by the
Commissioner, which fine(s) shall not be reimbursable by the Club or any other person.

APPENDIX L
OFF-SEASON WORKOUT RULES
The Collective Bargaining Agreement with the NFLPA provides that, except for certain specified minicamps,
any off-season workout programs or classroom instruction shall be strictly voluntary. No Club official
shall indicate to a player that the Club’s off-season workout program or classroom instruction is not voluntary
(or that a player’s failure to participate in a workout program or classroom instruction will result in the player’s
failure to make the Club). Off-season programs may take place for fourteen weeks between the end of the
previous season and ten days prior to the start of veteran training camp. The CBA limits such workouts to four
days per week; such workout programs are not permitted on weekends. Included in the fourteen weeks may be
no more than fourteen days of organized team practice activity. This does not preclude any player from
working out on his own on other days, including weekends. Contact work (e.g., “live” blocking, tackling, pass
rushing, bump-and-run), is expressly prohibited i n all off-season workouts.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Voluntary off-season workout programs are intended to provide training, teaching and physical conditioning[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]for players[/FONT]. The intensity and tempo of drills should be at a level conducive to learning, with player safety as
the highest priority, and not at a level where one player is in a physical contest with another player.
Teams are to provide their players and the Management Council the schedule for the program, including
designation of any days on which organized team practice activity will take place, pursuant to the rules set
forth in Article XXXV of the CBA, and any changes to the schedule for the program.
The following rules shall also apply to the fourteen days of organized team practice activity:
• No pads except protective knee or elbow pads. Helmets are permitted.
• No live contact; no live contact drills between offensive and defensive linemen.
• 7-on-7, 9-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills will be permitted, providing no live contact takes place.
• The NFL will monitor all Clubs during the off-season to ensure player safety and adherence to live contact
guidelines.
• Maximum six hours per day, with a maximum two hours on field, for any player
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/FONT]

Possible violations
1) 1) It’s more than four days per week (OTA started Tue-Sat is five days)Probably into Sunday on return trip.
2) 2) OTAs are prohibited on weekends
3) 3) They will be on the field for more than two hours at the football camp in violation
4) 4) If they inferred that it wasn’t voluntary, it violated the CBA

5) 5) The OTAs are intended to provided training for players, not use them as paid help at a football camp, especially one where participants pay a fee.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] IIt could be construed to be a misuse of the OTA for personal benefit (his camp)..and he's not even a politician.Yes it's a charity and I'm glad he's doing it but that doesn't give him free rein to abuse players with 20 hours in a bus....
[/FONT]

If you consider the bus trip, part of the OTA it violates the CBA on many levels.
1) You cant have more than four days in a row of OTAs and since they started on Tues, this is either 5 or six if they return on Sunday
2) You can't conditio

Cleveland Browns 0-0*

Its so funny when they come up with this stuff. A couple of good results at the Browns and some kid is playing out of his skin, they interview him and he praises Mangini and says that the bus trip brought him down to earth and then they will rave about how Mangini is a genius or that he clearly picked up a few things from BB.

Sure, IF this really were a "hazing" issue of creating a challenging bonding experience to toughen up the young'uns. I see absolutely no reason to take it that way. It looks like nothing more than taking advantage of kids who aren't in the position to say no to do personal favors for the coach.

Or to put it another way: if he had really wanted them to face a tough bonding experience for charity, he would have found a charitable effort to tackle in Cleveland, for the local community and fan base, rather than making them spend 20 hours on a bus to the Eric Mangini Fest. This wasn't for the community, or for the players, or for the team. It was for Eric, personally. That's bad news.

I'm sure the rookies who made that trip and eventually get cut will have fond memories of Tubby Ratfink.
I doubt that many rookies have fond memories of the guy that cut them. If they are cut, this trip will be but a tiny indignity in the big swirling flush of water going down the toilet that was their life's ambition.

Overall, whether they make the team or not, I'm sure that few rookies or vets or fans have fond memories of Ratboy.

He's a dope and a jerk.

I doubt that many rookies have fond memories of the guy that cut them. If they are cut, this trip will be but a tiny indignity in the big swirling flush of water going down the toilet that was their life's ambition.

Overall, whether they make the team or not, I'm sure that few rookies or vets or fans have fond memories of Ratboy.

He's a dope and a jerk.

Space, I was being facetious.

Right they need to do whatever it takes....but it shouldn't take this. Judas is in a position of authority...can he make them babysit his kids? Clean his house? Build an extension on his house? Whyh not? Rookies need to do "whatever it takes" according to you. So they have to take whatever he gives out. There are rules about it and Judas has apparently violated them in spirit although he can turn around and say "it wasn't mandatory". It in effect WAS MANDATORY for the reasons you stated.

It's only a 20 hour bus ride...let them swim over from Cuba like some people do! Way to mix two completely different situations. He's a coach not a slave master...he doesn't get to make them perform indentured servitude. It's against the rules. He knows they can't say "no" and he takes advantage of it. It's not like they can look for other work like anyone else can. He's a POS for taking advantage of them. Let HIM swim over from Cuba instead of getting conscripted labor for free.

On a somewhat related note, we saw so many people spout out comments about "karma" when Brady suffered an injury...

What the hell did Cleveland do to deserve MangIdiot - and now having their beloved Cavaliers go down to the underrated Magic?

It must have been something pretty bad near as I can tell.

psshhh....that's an easy one, dude.

they turned on belichick.

I don't see it as hazing, but I don't think it's something that he should be doing, especially because it likely isn't legal.

...can he make them babysit his kids? Clean his house? Build an extension on his house?
Dude, calm down. He took them to a charity football camp. Football camp.

Besides, you gotta be careful about babysitters. You want a UDFA who led his conference in drops to be handling your baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back