PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mangini: Belichick will be in the Hall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously Belichick has the capacity to forgive, witness him and Parcells. But I don't think he will ever, ever forgive Eric Mangini. And come to think of it, neither will I.

Obviously Belichick has the capacity to forgive, witness him and Parcells. But I don't think he will ever, ever forgive Eric Mangini. And come to think of it, neither will I.

no, he could forgive him. if Mangina pays him half-a-million dollars (and then some)

I still hate him for the "kiss and tell" situation in 07, guess as long as he's in the league the hate will go on, first for the Rats now the Brownies.

I don't hate the Browns now that he's there, but I sure won't root for them while he's their coach.

When Parcells got wind of Kraft's intentions of hiring BB, he retired as HC of the NYJ before his players took off their cleats for the last time of the season, triggering a clause that made BB HC/NYJ. This put BB in a bind, dragged his name through the mud, and almost derailed his coaching career. Meanwhile, Parcells and Al Groh bolted the following year. So, why did Parcells do it, when it was obvious that the Jets were never in his future plans? To get back at Kraft. So much for friendship. That said...

012009bill600.jpg

As for Spygate, I have 3 opinions:

1.) Goodell felt that the Pats having 2 #1s was bad for the game.
2.) Tannenbaum was in on it, but Mangini was not.
3.) Specter and the machinations of the media were unintended consequences.

Now, Mangini is in Cleveland, where I believe he'll do well while not butting heads with BB twice a year. Stay tuned... ;)

Last edited:
My hunch, and that's all it is, is that bridges were burned when Mangini left for New York, before Spygate ever happened. I think (but don't know) that Mangini probably made a committment when Belichick promoted him to DC, and reneged on it when he left after one year. Then there was Mangini trying to recruit coaches to go with him to NY while on the team plane after the last game of the season.

From what I've heard, a major factor was that Mangenius was going to the NYJ. Apparently BB told him, "I will personally recommend you as head coach for any of the other 31 teams in the league, but don't go to the Jets." Had he gone to the Browns first, maybe none of this ever happens.

IMO, even those who hate BB (jealously) would have to agree ... he is a Hall of Fame coach.

It's unfortunate his image was tarnished with all that crap a few years back ... but in the end, the man can coach and evaluate talent!

Keep Bill's name out of your mouth, for whatever reason, you fat f^@%.

My hunch, and that's all it is, is that bridges were burned when Mangini left for New York, before Spygate ever happened. I think (but don't know) that Mangini probably made a committment when Belichick promoted him to DC, and reneged on it when he left after one year. Then there was Mangini trying to recruit coaches to go with him to NY while on the team plane after the last game of the season.

My history might be a little shaky, but didn't Mangini get "demoted" as DC?

My history might be a little shaky, but didn't Mangini get "demoted" as DC?
Not sure what you mean. He went from being the def. secondary coach to DC, was DC for one year, then fled to NY.

Not sure what you mean. He went from being the def. secondary coach to DC, was DC for one year, then fled to NY.

He was named HC on January 16th and they played the Colts on the 21st...maybe he meant for the 2006 AFC Championship Game he got demoted?

I still hate him for the "kiss and tell" situation in 07, guess as long as he's in the league the hate will go on, first for the Rats now the Brownies.

yeah, the hardest thing about him going to the Browns is that i can no longer pull for them when they're not playing the Pats. Great franchise. Great tradition.

Now they're dead to me. Dead to me, I tell you!

I have a slightly different take. I don't think that Belichick begrudges one of his coaches the opportunity to move up, even if he had just promoted him. Mangini's sin was, I think, that he went to a team in the Division. That's a big, bozo no no in BB's mind and a real betrayal.

Last edited:
He was named HC on January 16th and they played the Colts on the 21st...maybe he meant for the 2006 AFC Championship Game he got demoted?

Mangini wasn't with us for the 2006 AFCCG, unless I'm misunderstanding you. :confused:

Nah, I heard (maybe on this forum) somewhere that BB "demoted" or "benched" Mangini for a game as DC because of a poor showing by the defense. I asked because I couldn't find anything on Google that confirmed it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back