PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mangini, Belichick disciples alienating employees

Status
Not open for further replies.

muslimman

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Mangini, Belichick disciples alienating employees - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

It’s the latest testament to Mangini’s apparent lack of tact and people skills, personality traits he honed under his estranged mentor, New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick. Like two other Belichick disciples, new Kansas City Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli and neophyte Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, Mangini has marked his arrival at a new organization this offseason by alienating established leaders while projecting a self-assuredness that borders on arrogance.

What the article says about Mangina and his impudence doesnt surprise me at all. What bothers me is that this Silver guy seems to be implying that Belichick is to blame for Mangina's actions. He then continues on to make comparisons between Mangina and Pioli and McDaniels, further trying to smear Belichick and those who have emerged from this organization.

There are a certain number of writers who seem find it physically impossible to write a column that mentions the name "Bill Belichick" without also using a form of the word "arrogant." That tells me all I need to know about the writer's objectivity.

Ehhh..... it's really 3 very different situations. McDaniels didn't personally do anything to alienate anyone: Cutler got his feelings hurt because McDaniels dared to think about bringing Cassel to Denver. Waters showed up at the KC facility and thought he was entitled to a full sit down conversation with the new guys even without an appointment, so they basically told him to go pound sand. Frankly, in both cases, I'm surprised the response by the new guys was as mild as it was. I'd have ripped into both of those cry-babies if I were the coach/GM.

Mangini, on the other hand, is pulling the same crap he did in New York. It's yet another broken promise, and he'll lose that clubhouse if he doesn't back down and save face at the same time.

Last edited:
If BB is such a horrible influence why do teams keep hiring his guys :rolleyes:

2-14....5-11...8-8...
Those are the records last year of the three teams in question...Maybe they needed some shaking up........

Players are using the new comers as a way of getting more money out of the teams...he's using their actions as a way of showing that the Patriots are creating villains and making problems for the new teams...

It's another attack piece aimed at the Patriots. "Patriots bad, everyone else good" :rolleyes:

Mangina is an arrogant slob, plain and simple. There is a world of difference
in being so much smarter than everybody else that you are percieved to be arrogant and just being a jerk . Mangina is just a jerk, among other things.

I'm no fan of Eric Mangini but he left the Jets in better shape than he found them. As has BB for New England (that's an understatement, I know). I'm not sure about Mc Daniels but I'm confident that Todd Haley and Scott Pioli will improve KC. They certainly can't do any worse! In any case, it's clear that KC needs a lot of new personnel, so being told that 22 guys off the street could do better than 2-14 isn't far off the mark. It also sends a message that mediocrity will no longer be tolerated.

Anyone who thinks that successful head coaches are "nice" doesn't have a great understanding of what Football is and what its players are. It's a game of violence, played by people with capacity for dealing out that violence. I love the game (it's my favourite along with Rugby) but I have no illusions about it.

Some successful HCs may be perceived as being nicer than others (I'm thinking of Bill Walsh, off the top of my head) but I bet he was a real b**tard when he had to be.

Last edited:
Mangina is an arrogant slob, plain and simple. There is a world of difference
in being so much smarter than everybody else that you are percieved to be arrogant and just being a jerk . Mangina is just a jerk, among other things.

Given Mangina's miserable record and reputation as a HC, I assumed he would be a bit more humble. Guess he never learnt...

How can anyone call BB arrogant when that puke Rex Ryan is in this league?

I've noticed that guys who are actually arrogant, like Rex Ryan, are simply labeled as confident and "bringing some swagger to the organization" by the media. But guys that are reserved and have no time for BS like Bill Belichick are slapped with the "arrogant" label.

Given Mangina's miserable record and reputation as a HC, I assumed he would be a bit more humble. Guess he never learnt...

The problem is he never had the time to learn. The Browns were stupid for hiring him right now, he should have gone back to being an assistant so that he could continue to learn with a new perspective on the process. In a couple of years he would be ready to accept a HC position and probably be better off. By going from one HC job, that he wasn't ready for, to another HC job he never had time to look at where things went wrong, so he will continue to make the same mistakes.

SSDD

Pointless article. It implies that Belichick routinely and intentionally estranged his players. Well, whatever he did, it obviously made him a successful coach once those players come on board with his program. So what is the point being made here, that these BB disciples are also headed twords greatness?

I'm no fan of Eric Mangini but he left the Jets in better shape than he found them.

debatable. plus, using Mangini and "better shape" in the same sentence is... awkward. (because eric is such a fat slob)

also, he had a worse record than Herm & 4 fewer playoff games.

Herman Edwards (2001–2005) .488 winning percentage; 2-3 playoffs
Eric Mangini (2006–2008) .479 winning percentage; 0-1 playoffs

debatable. plus, using Mangini and "better shape" in the same sentence is... awkward. (because eric is such a fat slob)

also, he had a worse record than Herm & 4 fewer playoff games.

Herman Edwards (2001–2005) .488 winning percentage; 2-3 playoffs
Eric Mangini (2006–2008) .479 winning percentage; 0-1 playoffs

I would agree that Mangini left the JEST in better shape than he found them. He reconstucted a pretty good offensive line. Andhe laid the foundartion for a fair Defense too, adding pieces like Revis, and the Michigan LB, as well as theirr Free Safety conversion. Despite dislikeing him, I thought he got the shaft, and Tannenbaum's head should have rolled, not Erics. But that is what makes the J-E-S-T, the perpetual disaster that they are.

this is so stupid. every truly successful nfl coach has taken an arrogant, my way or the highway aprpoach.
this article suggests that being an NFL coach requires you to be nice, buddy-buddy with players and just keep them happy.
If Managini told an overweight bad attitude DL to lose weight and lose the attitude how is that a bad thing? If Parcells did it, someone would call it great motivation.
How is Cribbs contract negotiation different than anyone else? The article took Cribbs version of taling to Lerner as fact and Lerners as a lie. How is it bad of the HC that the FRONT OFFICE doesnt want to overpay a player. How does the fact that he hold Halloween parties have anything to do with anything?
The Browns failed, and fired the GM and HC. Of course they want to clean house. The fact that the owner took advice on hiring a gm from the hc is hardly conspiracy.
I cant stand this idea that guys running nfl franschises are supposed to be frieds with players and that when a player is offended thats the coaches fault. Their job includes offending bad players.
To tell the Chiefs players they sucked last year is an important part of rebuilidng.
The only way to fix a bad franchise is to arrogantly come in and say everything will be done your way. If your way is wrong, you fail. I don['t get how you can criticize a guy who was hired to run the show based on what he believes for being arrogant.

Clearly this article was used as a ploy to help the writers buddy Cribbs get a contract.
Anyone who can't see that using BB (aka Pariah in Cleveland) in the article was a lame attempt to put more pressure on Mangini is missing the point.

I would agree that Mangini left the JEST in better shape than he found them. He reconstucted a pretty good offensive line. Andhe laid the foundartion for a fair Defense too, adding pieces like Revis, and the Michigan LB, as well as theirr Free Safety conversion. Despite dislikeing him, I thought he got the shaft, and Tannenbaum's head should have rolled, not Erics. But that is what makes the J-E-S-T, the perpetual disaster that they are.

That doesnt make any sense. You cite personell moves as good then say the HC should get credit and the GM fired when the players (that you say are good) can't win on the field????? I think you have it backwards.

If BB is arrogent, who cares? He's won 3 superbowls, is with out a doubt one of the top 3 head coaches of all time, i think he has earned his ego.

In fact, i would say to be a HC in the nfl arrogence is a must have. You can't second guess yourself. You have to belive you are right 100% of the time, even if you are an idiot like Mangini.

I have seen little to make me suspect that Belichick is an arrogant guy. It is an epithet tossed at him by his envious opponents. But I think he is confident in what he knows; and won't be snowed by someone blowing smoke at him. That is not arrogance. It is confidence.

He has every right to have that, as he has earned it. He could wear five rings and few Coaches have a hundred victories on their resume.

What Silver fails to recognize under his 'arrogance' comment is that if BB is so damn arrogant and hard to work for then why did a player like Randy Moss and Bruschi and many others over the years take less to play here.

Silver deep down inside knows success is always better than personality - If Silver wants success AND personality maybe he should watch the finals of the Miss America Pageant or American Idol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes