PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mangini a Head Coach next Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

groundgame

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
With up to 10 NFL Head coaching positions needing to be filled for 2006, it now appears possible that Eric Mangini's will be under consideration as a HC prospect by at least one team. The 34 year old New England defensive coordinator was recently rated #6 by CNN/SI's Peter King in a list of potential NFL head coaching candidates from the NFL and college level across the country. Mangini, a young rising star, most likely will want to be tutored further for another year or two by his mentor before diving into the shark-enfested waters that is life atop the coaching pyramid of an NFL football franchise.

re:

I can't see Mangini leaving until he creates a lead-leading defense, or wins a championship.

Wow - that'd be tough to say "no" to a HC position but my feeling is that Mangini's a smart guy and he'll logically determine that its just too soon.

By staying with an exceptional organization and establishing himself as a respected defensive guru, eventually he can write his own ticket, and establish the credibility and command of an organization (at least in terms of personnel) that any HC would want to be successful.

With just one season under his best as DC, there are still plenty of people in the NFL who are still taking a wait and see approach with him.

There may be some teams looking to capture some of the Patriots mojo by signing him away, but I think Mangini would recognize that he might be setting himself up for failure.

Sometimes too much ambition too soon can backfire on you. ;)

Last edited:
maverick4 said:
I can't see Mangini leaving until he creates a lead-leading defense, or wins a championship.

He has been with BB for 8-9 years, but I think he is only 34 or so. That is really young for a head coach. I know Oakland is high on him, they wanted him for their DC.

re:

Exactly right.

He was considered a rising star last year, and his highest offer was defensive coordinator from Oakland. He was given credit for taking a patchwork secondary to a superbowl win. The jump from coordinator to head coach will require Mangini to have additional achievements.

If I were an owner or GM, I would be looking for more seasoned people with more accomplishments than a 34-year-old in his first year as defensive coordinator.

It would be a shock if he got a HC job this young.

Not ready...not going to happen.

There are plenty of other coordinators and college coaches that will be offered jobs. Also, I think Marriucci will be first in line for the Houston Job and possibly the Saints job.

34?! I had no idea he was that young. He is just a few years older than me!

Drewwho said:
Not ready...not going to happen.

There are plenty of other coordinators and college coaches that will be offered jobs.
There's actually not many top candidates. Other than those who have just been fired, who is there ? Ferentz if he moves on. Maybe the Eagles' OC but he's not as hot anymore except in GB maybe. I think Mangini is too young but I don't think he would lose out on an offer due to the competition because there isn't a lot of competition out there. Ron Rivera of Chicago will likely get one.

Bella*chick said:
34?! I had no idea he was that young. He is just a few years older than me!

Same here! If I remember correctly, before he worked with BB in Cleveland he was involved with Austrailian rules football as a head coach.

One year at DC, and half of that he was under fire, I don't think he will be a serious candidate. He should get a couple of more years under his belt before he jumps.

PATSNUTme said:
One year at DC, and half of that he was under fire, I don't think he will be a serious candidate. He should get a couple of more years under his belt before he jumps.
We have the tree problem, though. The Parcells/Belichick tree is hot right now. Heck, Andy Reid was hired from the Holmgren tree after being no more than a QB coach, albeit older than Mangini is now.

BelichickFan said:
We have the tree problem, though. The Parcells/Belichick tree is hot right now. Heck, Andy Reid was hired from the Holmgren tree after being no more than a QB coach, albeit older than Mangini is now.

You know its funny you said that I was thinking the same thing. I guess teams want a piece of the hot hand and right now that is BB.

BelichickFan said:

I don't consider it the Parcells tree. It's the Belichick tree, only.

maverick4 said:

??? Look at the last twenty or thirty DC/OCs who made head coach? How many of them had created a lead-leading defense/offense or won a championship? Not to many, I'll bet.

I think Mangini will leave if he gets a head coaching offer. I hope he doesn't get one this year.

Isn't this thread kind of premature? Mangini had no DC experience when he took over this year and for half the season, our defense was at the bottom of the league in almost every category. And if you think that BB didn't play a big part in why our Defense improved in the second half, think again. Mangini still has a lot to learn, IMO. I doubt highly that he is going anywhere, he doesn't have enough experience. Compared to Romeo, Mangini has a long way to go, IMHO.

Jon Gruden was a young and relatively inexperienced OC with the Eagles before he was hired as Oakland's HC. Not saying Mangini is ready, but there's precedent...

PatDaPatriot said:
Jon Gruden was a young and relatively inexperienced OC with the Eagles before he was hired as Oakland's HC. Not saying Mangini is ready, but there's precedent...
And Andy Reid had never been higher than a QB coach.

Could happen. I think it will depend on what his D does in the playoffs!!!

I think SI listed him in their list of top 10 coordinators that would be considered for HC jobs a couple weeks back but he was down near the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back