Welcome to PatsFans.com

Man Suffers Heart Attack While Eating ‘Triple Bypass Burger’ at Heart Attack Grill

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

We have jumped the shark on gluttony

Man Suffers Heart Attack While Eating 'Triple Bypass Burger' at Heart Attack Grill

The customer, estimated to be in his 40s, was wheeled out by paramedics when he was just midway through his 6,000 calorie burger. The chain owner, a former nutritionist named Jon Basso, said that the man "could barely talk" and was "sweating and suffering" as tourists took photos and videos from the street:
  2. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Re: Man Suffers Heart Attack While Eating ‘Triple Bypass Burger’ at Heart Attack Gril

Truth in advertising.....

6,000 calories?!?!?! Holy crap....
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Re: Man Suffers Heart Attack While Eating ‘Triple Bypass Burger’ at Heart Attack Gril

Sometimes our culture just flat-out sucks.
  4. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

how long until the lawsuit?

(the man lived, btw)
  5. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +337 / 6 / -7

Natural selection.

He should be required to cover all medical costs out of pocket.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  6. PatsFan24

PatsFan24 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't know how people can eat that stuff. I can't even order a basic burger at McD's without feeling guilty.
  7. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No doubt, that would bankrupt him. This sentiment sounds like something cons would say. You're better than that.

I doubt that particular hamburger caused the heart attack, but rather a lifetime of cheap eating.

Perhaps if our corporate food conveyor belt ever endured some real blowback for poisoning its citizens for the sake of profit, then maybe our gluttonous culture wouldn't be so disgusting. When you make "enhanced" and unnatural food cheap, of course poor people are going to buy what they can afford.

This is a perfect example of how in unfettered capitalism, profit trumps health. And any real accountability for that kind of slow-motion genocide is met with "stay out of my pocket" outrage.

People really shouldn't complain about fat America if they're unwilling to change the way money works in this country. Not without sounding painfully naive.
  8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I always wonder just how many weeks it would take the girl in that picture to eat one of the burgers and maintain the figure that got her that job in the first place. She'd probably have to freeze at least half of it to keep it from rotting in the fridge, right?
  9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

most of her isnt real anyway...

VEGAS!
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  10. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -1

The insurance companies would love that!

If you are a smoker and have any medical problems that might be related to smoking, sorry not covered. Kidney problems? Oops, we know you drink beer every Sunday while watching football, not covered.

Diabetes? Not a chance in hell of having that covered because we have pictures of you eating donuts.

Heart Disease? Nope, you are 30lbs over a safe BMI, sorry not covered.

Yeah, that would help out the bottom line for insurance companies.
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

Sometimes our culture is just flat out awesome. [​IMG]

I bet it's in the works already.

If he doesn't have insurance, absolutely.

We aren't the most, or one of the most obese countries in the world for nothing.

So it's capitalisms fault that people are obese? What "unfettered" capitalism are you speaking of btw? Can't be the same unfettered system where which the government subsidizes the farm and food industry, is it? :confused2:

I hope you got that insurance! Cuz if you don't have it, that's why you need it. :D
  12. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

In a lot of ways, absolutely. People still have a role of personal responsibility to play, sure, but economics certainly limits their choices.

When profit margin is the singular driver and dictates that you sell disgusting food to your fellow countrymen? Most definitely it's the fault of capitalism. As a CEO of a major food company, you have a choice, do you not? You can inject hormones into your lifestock, or you can take pride in your company and serve a relatively healthy product.

Was profit margin not the equation when Big Tobacco was putting addictive agents in their filters for decades? Or was it just a few rogue CEOs in North Carolina? Either way they had a choice. They chose to make people more sick than they ever needed to be for the sake of profit.

Ours, where plutocracy controls almost every aspect of American life...

... regardless of the state's select and specific favors to certain lobbyists.

This being said, I don't believe anyone is entitled to a settlement.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  13. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

[​IMG]
  14. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +562 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

[​IMG]
  15. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -1

Until they outlaw cigarettes and booze this is perfectly acceptable. Oh and sugar ;)
  16. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +328 / 6 / -8

Culturally, we like having plain old dumb options available.

Look at the decor and the outfits. It's a hospital-themed menu. It's this big joke, oh look, ha-ha, so-called experts say this is bad for you but you know you want it no matter what it does to your heart.

We just like stuff like this -- goes back to the old "freedom" meme. Unless of course it involves quicker forms of suicide for valid reasons (i.e., kevorkian-style "please end my suffering" choices) -- those would be unethical.

Me, I smoke, drink less than I used to, and like some earlier posters, get the guilts if I hit the drive-through too often. I do it as a time-saver when I'm driving, but not really as a conscious "choice." I don't think I'd do an "eating challenge" where the contestants all end up looking green at the end (you know, "eat the 128 oz steak and it's free" -- that type of thing.) I wouldn't eat a 6,000 calorie burger.

But of course, we must all be free to. That's very important. That's what Jefferson, Washington, Adams, and those guys risked their lives to enable us to do. That, and individual ownership of assault rifles (but you'll notice, not tanks and atomic weapons -- for all those who believe we're expected to overthrow our own gubmit one day with glocks.)

As to his insurance situation, don't worry. If he's not insured, he'll get ER help, on your taxpayer dime, and emergency care stemming from that visit to save his life. Then it's "treat 'em and street 'em." No extended hospital stay.

If he is insured, your premiums go up. But that's okay. As the bumper sticker says, freedom isn't free.

PFnV
  17. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -1

My premiums go up if you get lung cancer too... Should you be denied coverage since it would be your own fault?
  18. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +562 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Seems interesting ... but I am not 350lbs so I will stick to my favorite venue of sin "Five Guys" which may not be good for me but it's a great guy hang out for me and my 12 year old from time to time.

Try to 'bacon dogs' .... oh they are to die for with those perfectly cooked fries. :D

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

I agree Jack, the man was a fool, I love to eat but that crap is going to far.
  20. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Not sure "capitalism....economics certainly limits their choices" plays into this situation....

Cant see many people, with their "choices limited by economics" dropping $12 on a burger....

I think they would be better off with the #1 @ McDonalds, Super Sized....with a Diet Coke...you know cuz you have save those 300-500 calories on the full flavored soda and all...