Welcome to PatsFans.com

Man says hold the cheese, claims McDonald's didn't, sues for $10 million

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +441 / 5 / -2

When I came back from Italy saturday, they should have had this flag next to the "Welcome to America" sign at Customs. Matter of fact, it should have looked like this: :D

[​IMG]
    Welcome to the Banana Republic of America

This case is utter BS. I'm lactose intolerant, and milk & ice cream give me problems (severe runs). Cheese doesn't do me as bad for some reason, but I still don't eat it unless I have to (i.e. on pizza, or in ravioli). Now, I'm not going to die if I have any of the foods I mentioned, yet, when I order stuff, I always ask for, and then double check myself for cheese. Which is why I find this story below to be total BS. Sorry, but if this guy had such a terrible alergy toward cheese, and told the workers 5 times he couldn't have it, he's going to try to tell me that he wouldn't even look, & check for himself, before he ate it? I smell BS. Sure, he'd trust his life by relying on the competency of a minimum wage working McDonalds Drive-Thru worker. What BS.

Man says hold the cheese, claims McDonald's didn't, sues for $10 million

by Justin D. Anderson
    Daily Mail Staff
    Print StoryEmail Story

A Morgantown man, his mother and his friend are suing McDonald's for $10 million.

The man says he bit into a hamburger and had a severe allergic reaction to the cheese melted on it.

Jeromy Jackson, who is in his early 20s, says he clearly ordered two Quarter Pounders without cheese at the McDonald's restaurant in Star City before heading to Clarksburg.

His mother Trela Jackson and friend Andrew Ellifritz are parties to the lawsuit because they say they risked their lives rushing Jeromy to United Hospital Center in Clarksburg.

The lawsuit alleges Jeromy "was only moments from death" or serious injury by the time he reached the hospital.

"We're interested in seeing McDonald's take responsibility and change a systemic quality control problem that endangers the lives of up to 12 million Americans with allergies," said Timothy Houston, the Morgantown lawyer representing the plaintiffs.

Houston said his clients were in Morgantown in October 2005 and stopped at the Star City McDonald's on the way home to Clarksburg. Jeromy Jackson was living with his mother at the time.

Jeromy did his part to make it known he didn't want cheese on the hamburgers because he is allergic, Houston said.

He told a worker through the ordering speaker and then two workers face-to-face at the pay and pick-up windows that he couldn't eat cheese, Houston said.

"By my count, he took at least five independent steps to make sure that thing had no cheese on it," Houston said. "And it did and almost cost him his life."

After getting the food, the three drove to Clarksburg and started to eat the food in a darkened room where they were going to watch a movie, Houston said.

Jeromy took one bite and started having the reaction, Houston said. One of the three immediately called the McDonald's to let restaurant employees know they had messed up the order, but had to cut the call short when Jeromy started having a bad reaction, Houston said.

At least two managers at the McDonald's called the Jacksons afterward to apologize for what happened, Houston said.

McDonald's representatives offered to pay half of Jeromy's medical bills -- which totaled about $700. When Houston became involved, he said the company offered to pay all the medical costs.

The plaintiffs weren't interested, and McDonald's wasn't offering anything more than medical costs.

The Jacksons and Ellifritz filed the lawsuit on July 18 in Monongalia Circuit Court.

Houston didn't know if McDonald's had yet been served with the complaint.

The lawsuit seeks damages on two counts of negligence, one count of intentional infliction of emotional distress and one count of punitive damages.

The fast-food giant has been sued before.

In one notorious instance in 1992, Stella Liebeck, a 79-year-old woman from Albuquerque, N.M., sued McDonald's after she suffered third-degree burns from spilling a hot cup of coffee in her lap.

A jury later awarded Liebeck $2.9 million.

http://www.dailymail.com/story/News...e-claims-McDonalds-didnt-sues-for-10-million/
  2. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Good thing they didn't lose his pants!
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

Welll than God the dems are here to protect us from Tort reform so morons can continue to sue.
  4. Real World

Ratings:
    +441 / 5 / -2

I don't want this thread to be about dems or repubs. I just wanted to point out how stupid, moronic, and excusist some people have become. There will be actual people, of sound mind, who will see this, and think the guy should be paid. That's what scares me.
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +271 / 10 / -26

Good efforts at trying to make it nonpartisan, but we all know that we will soon hear about Edwards et al.. unfortunately, everything descends into the world of partisanship politics, left vs. right.. this case will get thrown out, just like the case of the convict suing Michael Vick.
  6. Real World

Ratings:
    +441 / 5 / -2

I think people get too caught up in making things right & left, dem and repub, etc. But since you mentioned Edw....I'm kidding! :D
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +554 / 2 / -9

Didn't fat people try to sue McDonalds?
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +441 / 5 / -2

Yes they did. Hmm...that gives me an idea Harry. Maybe we should sue fat people for making our health insurance cost so much. :eek:
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +271 / 10 / -26

Maybe we should all sue Harry for making us smile, when we all want to be no good rotten, partisan bastards.. knock it off Harry or I will have to sue you.
  10. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

He took five steps to ensure he didn't get cheese. If its me with a life threatening allergy, I take a sixth step, look under the bun. That is a big DUH.
  11. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +62 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

People ahould be accountable for their own actions or lack there of.. Its easy for the people behind the counter to make a mistake handaling countless orders. The person with the life threatning allergy has to be ultra vigulent. Corporations such as Micky D'S are afraid to go to court fearing that the jury will see them as a giant corparation with lots of money.Which they are, but a suit of TEN MILL. is outrages,and if it did go before a jury they might say 20 mill. So MD's will probabley settle out of court.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Am I the only person who's ever watched The People's Court or any one of the 56,000 derivatives that have popped up over the years? Anyone who has watched will note that they always say that 'These are real people with real cases pending in a real court...'

...Pending just like this case is now pending in court. I wonder if all these cases that some of y'all get so wound up over are never expected to find their way to trial by anyone; but instead are designed to get some clown on TV after he failed to make Springer's cut ?
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +441 / 5 / -2

Have you ever been sued, or needed the services of a lawyer? It's expensive. This is called retarded, and is extremely wasteful. Even a case that is pending, costs someone alot of money. Of course, the only people that gain, are the scum sucking lawyers. The taxpayer doesn't benefit, since he's the one footing the bill to run the courts.
  14. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The guy is probably a complete idiot. It's a f**king shame that he made it to ER in time, because he would have been a worthy recipient of a Darwin Award. May he eat more cheese! :rocker:
  15. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +554 / 2 / -9

I ordered an Egg Salad sandwich in a Home Depot and told them I didn't want any bread on it, my wife can't stand watching me eat bread/,.
    :bricks:
  16. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

:D

WHAT? THEY PUT BREAD ON A SANDWICH???? WHAT NEXT? BEEF IN A HAMBURGER, COFFEE IN AN AMERICANO???

SUE THEM ALL!!!!!