Welcome to PatsFans.com

"Man-made" global warming strikes again

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

2. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'm glad we're taking our cues on environmental responsibility from the Chinese. We've been taking our cues on human rights from them since shortly after 9/11, so I guess this is a natural progression.
  3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

What you mean "we" white man. Speak for yourself.

//
  4. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Ok, by "we" I mean the US government.
  5. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Get a grip, Pujo. Have you ever been to China? Do you know their way of handling dissent or crime or anything else the party deems unacceptable??? The U.S. government has a LONG ways to go to match anything close to that.

P.S. ... and I hope they never do.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  6. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

No no, I do happen to have a sense of proportion (having come from the USSR). We're not China by any stretch, but we're going in the wrong direction. In any case, the your post was about defending US environmental policy (by implication) by comparing it to Chinese environmental policy, and my response was to point out how stupid that is - we don't want to follow China's lead on anything.
  7. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Actually my point was that the "global warming due to human fault" argument needs to include places like China, not only the U.S.

Anyway, no big deal.
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +326 / 1 / -9

If there is anything bad in the world it's America's fault.

Bush has been in the White House for six years and in that time he has driven every liberal democrat in the country Insane and he is now causing the Whole World to MELT.

If a Democrat is elected in 2008 the earth will start to cool again and all this Global Warming stuff will die down, then we will start a War in Africa, the Democrats will call it "The Good War", Sean Penn, Sarandon, The Black Caucus and Billy Blue Dress will all donate "Blood".

Uncle Teddy-John Fonda Kerry-Boob Gore----Their portraits will never ever hang in the White House.
    Praise Jesus
  9. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'm totally with you there. Even if the US became the model country as far as environmental policies, it wouldn't be worth a damn if the world doesn't follow. This is going to take all of us, or we're all gonna go underwater together.
  10. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

China has more pollution and like a billion more people. I wonder how they compare on a per capital basis.

capita that is
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +287 / 4 / -2

You've got to really feel for the people who believe what the doomsdayers say. C'mon man, you really don't think it's as bad, or as good as the extremists tell you, do you?
  12. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That was hyperbole... most of us actually won't end up underwater... just people on the coasts.

I'm not expecting any biblical floods, just gradual changes that make the Earth less comfortable. For us, we'll just have to run our AC's more, but for people in Africa already dealing with drought and famine, it'll mean death.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +287 / 4 / -2

BTW, if I may:

Re: "Man-made" global warming strikes again

:D

[​IMG]
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +287 / 4 / -2

Crap, I live on the coast, so it looks like I'm screwed.
  15. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +326 / 1 / -9

Al Gore
    Go To China
    You Nut
  16. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You're lucky you live on the East coast and not the Gulf coast, we've seen how how much compassion people on the Gulf coast get when waters rise.

Seriously, though, you've always come accross as someone who believes global warming is a problem, but disagrees with liberals on the solution. Now you're sounding like you're denying that global warming will even have a negative impact. Maybe I misunderstood, but would you care to enlighten us to your views on the science of global warming (not the solution, just whether there's a problem)?
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +287 / 4 / -2

I believe that the earth is warming. That's what I believe. Thereafter is where I have lots of questions. I think man obvioulsy contributes to the warming. I'm just extremely skeptical of anything extremist. This issue is dominated by people telling me that Shanghai is going to be under 20 feet of water and that we have 10 years or we're all dead. Worse, it's supported by kneejerkers who point out a window and say "see", or who use such scientific data to support said doomsday claims like "the polar bears are changing color". I just never subscribe to anything extreme. Does that mean said extreme is certifiabley incorrect? Nope. Some dooms days could be right, but histroy says otherwise. I remember the millenium, and how we were at risk of nuclear war, and in some instances Iraq, and the "imminent" threat. I went to Vegas for New Years for the millenium, and I said from day 1 that Iraq was about geopolitical change in the ME. My point is, I make my own conclusions from the information provided, and so far, I've concluded that the planet is warming, I personally think man is a contributor, but my unanswered questions are to what extent, to what repurcussions, do we need to do something or not, if so what, or could this be much to do about nothing. To me, all valid questions. Having read Kyoto, I don't trust the UN, nor the international crowd like most people do.

When you hear someone yelling that the sky is falling, for whatever reason, I advise you look up before you start running for cover. That's at least been my experience.
  18. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So your views of global warming come from taking the opposite of what extremists say? If they're saying something stupid, then the opposite must be smart?

What about if you forget the extremists and think about what will happen if mankind causes temperatures to rise just 2-3 degrees over a century? There probably won't be any huge floods, earthquakes, or alien sightings. But do you see any negative, real impact to people's lives? Even deaths because of things like crop failures? Not everywhere in the world (hell, Canada and Siberia will great) but in parts of the world where life is already very tough?

None of that implies that the US should bury all of our cars and ride on horseback, but if we can at least agree that there's a problem worthy of a solution, then we can have an honest debate on the best solution.
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +287 / 4 / -2

No, no, no. I don't subscribe to what either extremist says. I don't think an issue like Global Warming is made up. For example, some say the planet isn't even warming at all, I don't beleive that. I don't believe either extremist, but one, usually the side that is trying to push an issue, is delivering more rhetoric than the other. These pushers tend to be the dooms dayers. You know, round up al the muslims or we'll all die kind of people. I don't agree with that one bit, but I also wouldn't agree with someone who tooks the opposite view, that we shouldn't be concerned with muslims at all, for example.

OK, but to forget the extremists and think of "what would happen if", and then fill in an extreme, is exactly what the extremists are preaching. During the millenium there were dooms dayers who constantly claimed that our reliance on computers and technolgoy would result in nuclear missles being shot all over the world, and that society would be crippled by malfunctioning systems that couldn't compute the year 2000. Does that mean we should completely ignore the crossover to 2000? Of course not, but it doesn't mean society would end like that tardo's kept insisting. I know people who stocked up on water, built bomb shelters like we had during the Cold War in their basements, and even went out and bought a gun to protect their homes. Lunacy. I got on a plane and partied in Vegas instead. :D
  20. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So could you give us your views of what will happen from global warming? Obviously we're talking about predicting the future so I'm not going to hold you to it ("But Real World said the ice shelves would be fine!" will not come out of my mouth), but I'd like to hear what you think is the likely case?