Welcome to PatsFans.com

Man fatally shoots intruder in condo

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by reflexblue, May 9, 2009.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +480 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

Several times over the last year there has been talk of buying guns for self defense in the home, and when deadly force could be used. A lot of people are under the impression that if someone enters your home or buisness you can just shoot them....wrong. Heres a trajic case that doesn't make a lot of sense when you read it. The only thing i can think off is Gatti was drunk or high and walked into the wrong appartment thinking it was his (Gatti's) and the individual he encountered was in His appartment.

Wilbraham condo owner faces no charges after shooting and killing neighbor - MassLive.com

WILBRAHAM - A Boston Road condominium owner who shot and killed a neighbor Thursday night at present faces no charges because the shooting appears to be in self defense, Police Chief Allen M. Stratton said Friday.

Stratton said the Woodcrest Condominium resident, whose name was not released, told police he shot twice at a man who came into his apartment without permission, refused to leave and then became aggressive. The shooting took place just before 8:30 p.m.

The intruder turned out to be the owner of a neighboring condominium unit. He was identified as David P. Gatti, 29, of unit C25, police said.

The law allows a resident to use deadly force against an intruder providing two criteria are met: The resident has to be inside his own dwelling, and the resident has to have "a reasonable belief" that the intruder is "about to inflict great bodily injury or death."

Bennett said there is no question the first criterion applies; the shooting took place inside the man's home. The question is whether the resident had legitimate reason to be afraid of injury or death

The SHOOTER also Retreated through several rooms while Gatti followed him

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +911 / 7 / -3

It's tragic anytime someone loses a life, but the owner did what he has the right to do, and that is defend himself. You hate to see anyone die, but as BB would say, it is what it is. The owner has no clue what the intruders intentions are.

3. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +480 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

Yes he does, but something smells fishy about the whole story. I don't think it can be as simple as what appears to be. What sounds like a level headed adult showing up in his neighbors condo and following him around acting threatning for no reason. There has to be more to the story.

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

No problemo here.. the only thing not clear, was did he call the police before he shot the guy???

Glad to see he is not charged, but are there other issues.. what does agressive mean?? There are pluses and minuses to this whole thing..

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 5 / -10

Good for him, a mans home is his castle, if you make a mistake and walk into the wrong house and you are asked to leave you say "I'm sorry and you leave" this guy didn't this guy became aggressive the owner didn't know what the bum was going to do so he shot him, if it was me I would have made sure he was dead then I would have shot him again.

Liberals would rather have seen the Bad Guy kill the Good Guy.

6. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

IMO a cell phone and 911 do an awful lot to defuse most but the most dire circumstances.

7. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

No. (10 chars)

8. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +480 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

He wouldn't have to. If he percieves that hes being threatend and was in the act of trying to get away/defend himself when would he have time.

9. Kdo5

Kdo5 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +178 / 8 / -7

As far as I can see, if the story is accurate theres nothing wrong with what he did.

10. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +480 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

I don't think anyone is saying what he did was wrong, i'm not. But the circumstances are a little bizzar thats all. Also ther are

A LOT of people that think they can just SHOOT first and ask questions later like Harry. If the guy in this case could escape or wasn't threatend he could be looking at 15 years to life....Gatti followed him as he retreated in a threating manor therefore the DA is saying the shooting was justified.

11. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,079 / 16 / -9

All you clowns saying "liberals would rather see..." worry about what your opinion is. It's pretty easy to say "I am in favor of a guy who DOES have a gun, IS under threat, and IS in his own home, being allowed to fire it." There, just did it, no problem. DUH.

Now, about shooting a guy named Gatti... :eek:

PFnV

12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Contrary to popular belief this is not the first time someone has fired a gun in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts without at least getting fined.

13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +911 / 7 / -3

You mean clown, and not clowns.

14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,010 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

I agree ... one less idiot in the world.

15. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,079 / 16 / -9

Yeah okay, then all you clown...

16. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +480 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

Iv'e read a number of comments on the papers web site what keeps coming up is that the man opened the door for Gatti who seemed to be trying to open the locked door. The conjecture is Gatti thought it was his own condo he was trying to enter.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  17. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 5 / -10

No, he means me, Harry.......:singing:

18. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,079 / 16 / -9

If the big red floppy shoes fit... :singing:

19. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This is kinda of ridiculous...

First, I would want proof that the owner had no clue the man was his neighbor, and that he truly did not know he lived next door.

If the guy knew and recognized him as his neighbor, I think you need to look into the fact that deadly force was needed...

If you have a gun and want to protect yourself, shoot someone in the thigh. It achieves the EXACT same result. Completely disables the attacker, without killing them.

Since they are neighbors, it's hard to imagine he would have never seen him coming or going...

I fully support being able to defend your home, but mistakes should not result in losing your life.

20. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +158 / 20 / -17

This reminds me of the Joe Horn case in Texas.

The Joe Horn shooting controversy refers to the events of November 14, 2007, in Pasadena, Texas, United States when local resident Joe Horn shot and killed two Afro-Latin American men burglarizing his neighbor's home.

Good old Joe became a folk hero in Texas and avoided prosecution.