PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Man Bites Dog: Media (Including Breer) Gush Over BB's Presser Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
For one, trusting in him to make the right decisions but still being able to weigh each decision on it's own merits isn't the same as blanketing that trust over all decisions made, even in the face of a decision that is overwhelmingly bad. Without trying to take this thread down that road, we still to this day have some people that are backing him on drafting Tavon Wilson that early, even though it's proven to be a bad decision. That's the last I'll comment on that move, too, since (again) I don't want to de-rail the discussion. For another, very few people are overly critical of mistakes. It's when pointing out a mistake is met with such blowback does it look overly critical. For a third, it's obvious that you don't understand what a red herring is.

The fact that you state the above tells me the concept of "below the line" went right over your head. The take away shouldn't have been BB also makes mistakes so every mistake should be constantly regurgitated and criticized. It isn't in fact the overall body of work.

I also find it ironic that your focus on red herring is the only red herring in this entire back and forth. My entire point has been that you misinterpret IBBIT as people saying BB doesn't make mistakes and use his statement that he does make mistakes as some sort of counter to the concept. The reality is that IBBIT is closer to the concept of "below the line" where it is acknowledged that mistakes will be made but that the failure rate versus the overall production is what matters.

Awesome stat:

On his rookie year, Ozzie fumbled, caused his team to lose and never fumbled again the next 13 years.

Uh, I don't want to dispute BB but profootballreference.com listed 2 fumbles for Newsome in 1980, his third year in the league

Ozzie Newsome NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

"The 6-2, 230-pound Newsome ran precise routes and seldom dropped a pass. He also carried the ball 18 times for 135 yards and two TDs. He scored on a 33-yard end-around in his first NFL game, a 24-7 Browns win over the San Francisco 49ers on Sept. 3, 1978 in Cleveland. The last time he fumbled was on an end-around in 1980, although the Browns recovered the ball. Newsome took care of the football like no one else. He didn't fumble once in the last 557 times he got the ball."

Cleveland Browns' 100 best all-time players: No. 10, Ozzie Newsome (video) | cleveland.com

Edit- I didn't see Shmessy's post re same point...

The fact that you state the above tells me the concept of "below the line" went right over your head. The take away shouldn't have been BB also makes mistakes so every mistake should be constantly regurgitated and criticized. It isn't in fact the overall body of work.

I also find it ironic that your focus on red herring is the only red herring in this entire back and forth. My entire point has been that you misinterpret IBBIT as people saying BB doesn't make mistakes and use his statement that he does make mistakes as some sort of counter to the concept. The reality is that IBBIT is closer to the concept of "below the line" where it is acknowledged that mistakes will be made but that the failure rate versus the overall production is what matters.

In BB We Trust has never meant he is always correct, or every decision is a good one. That is the strawman made up by the crew that want to complain about everything.
It means that all things equal he is trusted to a good job, and the cumulative effort is better than any one else.
Of course when you have to exagerate and misrepresent the other side of the discussion it only shows your side is weak.

For one, trusting in him to make the right decisions but still being able to weigh each decision on it's own merits isn't the same as blanketing that trust over all decisions made, even in the face of a decision that is overwhelmingly bad.
Total misrepresentation of any poster I have ever read on this board.

Without trying to take this thread down that road, we still to this day have some people that are backing him on drafting Tavon Wilson that early, even though it's proven to be a bad decision.
There is no one on this board saying that it has been a good pick.

That's the last I'll comment on that move, too, since (again) I don't want to de-rail the discussion. For another, very few people are overly critical of mistakes. It's when pointing out a mistake is met with such blowback does it look overly critical. For a third, it's obvious that you don't understand what a red herring is.
That also doesn't happen.
"Tavon Wilson looks like a mistake" gets no argument.
"We'd be great if the guy picking knew enough to not draft 5th rounders in the 2nd" does.
It is night and day.

It would seem BB is the first person to say that he's not infallible in his decision making. That said, I can't help but revel in the juxtaposition of watching that interview and listening to Bill's insight vs. listening to the pressers of that bumbling toe-sucker down Rte 95 south...."Um....er....well, OBVIOUSLY we're gonna, umm, err, y'know,...have to do a lot better. And I KNOW we WILL do....um....errr...y'know, better."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back