PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mallett trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of right now, the Patriots are at about $112 million on the cap for next season. If you add the extra $18 million for a Brady cut/trade, that number becomes $130 million. This year's cap limit was about $123 million.

I believe that is correct. It could be an issue, but they could probably work around it. Again, this would be a move for the long term, not for 2014.

With all due respect—what on earth are you talking about?

No-trade clauses are almost non-existent in the NFL, and I've seen nothing to suggest that Brady was demanding one. The problem is that the dead money rules are what they are, and there's no special exception for Brady.

And, moreover, the Patriots do not have the room to take an $18 million cap hit, unless you also want to, for example, close the door right now on signing ANY major free agents next offseason.

My point was that his salary is not guaranteed if they cut him or trade him for reason other than injury. They would have to deal with the cap hit in 2014, but it would clean up their balance sheet for 2015-2017. It is a long-term proposal, and it only works if they like Mallett, which I believe they do.

This is the most bizarre string of posts ever. We are 4-1 and talking about trading at minimum a top 5 QB of all time? Granted TFB has been relatively inaccurate much more than normal. The real conversation should be about the front office and the poor personnel decisions. I've been whinning for a few years about poor team building. We need a quality GM...

My point was that his salary is not guaranteed if they cut him or trade him for reason other than injury. They would have to deal with the cap hit in 2014, but it would clean up their balance sheet for 2015-2017. It is a long-term proposal, and it only works if they like Mallett, which I believe they do.

If you trade away a player, any future obligations transfer to the new team.

The issue is the $30M signing bonus they're amortizing over this and the next four seasons.

If you trade away a player, any future obligations transfer to the new team.

The issue is the $30M signing bonus they're amortizing over this and the next four seasons.

Yes, they would have to take the cap hit in 2014. Then they could move on without penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down