PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mallett trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sciz, rain or no, I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of brady miscues throughout the game.

Maybe he needs to go back to the glove in weather?
Yes, there were plenty of other miscues. I was addressing your complaints about the end, which I don't think make sense at all.

I don't think the glove would have made any difference in this game. Sure, it may have helped his grip on some of the shorter passes (and that's not a given at all), but it wasn't going to help him get the ball any further down the field in driving rain. Let's not act like Brady just under threw that last pass for the hell of it. He had to throw it up and pray because there was no way to predict where it was going to end up. The glove wouldn't have helped with that.

Football is a game of inches sometimes, and yesterday saw a matter of inches change what would have been a TD to cut the lead to 13-10, where we were in FG range to tie it at the end of the game instead of having to be forced to rely on a TD.

It also would have carried on the TD pass streak.

Unfortunately, Amendola came up short and was touched as he tried to roll in the endzone, or we may be talking about another tough win like in the NYJ game. We aren't going to win every single tough game like that one.

As far as trading Mallett goes--hell no we can't afford to do that now. If Mallett is traded it will mean that another QB is brought in and has one hell of a camp next year, which is about the only way that would make Mallett expendable. He surely is not at the moment, and it's not even close.

Football is a game of inches sometimes, and yesterday saw a matter of inches change what would have been a TD to cut the lead to 13-10, where we were in FG range to tie it at the end of the game instead of having to be forced to rely on a TD.

It also would have carried on the TD pass streak.

Unfortunately, Amendola came up short and was touched as he tried to roll in the endzone, or we may be talking about another tough win like in the NYJ game. We aren't going to win every single tough game like that one.

As far as trading Mallett goes--hell no we can't afford to do that now. If Mallett is traded it will mean that another QB is brought in and has one hell of a camp next year, which is about the only way that would make Mallett expendable. He surely is not at the moment, and it's not even close.

The only way he's expendable is if somehow the Pats get Cassel back.

The only way he's expendable is if somehow the Pats get Cassel back.

That would certainly be the best option, or one of the better ones for sure. Another that came to mind prior to a couple wks ago and now the ACL injury was Brian Hoyer. Of course now that he's gotten some attention, that ship has sailed.

I also think that it's possible, although very unlikely, that another QB could be brought in either on the practice squad or via the draft/waiver pickup who could in a best case scenario look very good in the spring and summer, thus making Mallett more expendable. The problem with that is that the odds are pretty low. Another QB is going to need some time to be groomed of course.

1.) I keep seeing this "X was wide open" trope. It doesn't matter if he is wide open. Brady and most top QBs don't look for receivers - they check where they are SUPPOSED to be and if they aren't there or are covered move on to the next receiver. This isn't backyard football.

Plenty of players and musicians can adapt on the fly, Brady did exactly that with Welker for a long time, I don't see why it's impossible to with others.

Lets be honest, this team is so reliant on Brady that if he's out we're losing anyway.

Without Tom Brady this team is a worse Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
This year's Brady ? Nope. We are seeing the Patriots "without Brady" right now because he's played like horse *****.

That said, we would need a viable backup and could probably flip a #6 to Minnesota for Cassell.

I like Mallett and would think about keeping him through next year and see how Brady looks at that point to be honest. However if we could trade Mallett to Cleveland for Rubin and get Cassell cheap I'd probably do it.

I'm shocked at the lack of calls in this hypothetical to bring back Tebow.

I'm shocked at the lack of calls in this hypothetical to bring back Tebow.

Well to be fair Brady has played a lot like Tebow this year. Only without the athleticism and late game heroics :bricks:

There is a lot of reasons why trading Mallett won't work, but I will give you a logical scenario that I thought of that would still be a long shot and lots of other questions would have to be answered regarding the Patriots backup plans after this trade but what about

Mallett for Josh Gordon. The Browns are shopping Gordon and are in need of a QB after the injuries. We all know that Bill has a relationship with Lombardi and that Lombardi was said to be very interested in Mallett earlier. Lombardi would get his guy and would have 2 first round picks to be able to add talent around him and the Patriots would add much needed veteran talent to the WR corp.

Thoughts?

Plenty of players and musicians can adapt on the fly, Brady did exactly that with Welker for a long time, I don't see why it's impossible to with others.

The thing is that Brady and Welker was on the same page. They read the defense the same way most of the time, and therefor Brady knew where Welker would go. Having a receiver run the wrong routes is not the same thing.

If Mallett plays well in this regular season (if Brady gets hurt) and/or next preseason, I would not be surprised if they trade Brady for picks in 2014.

It seems that we will only be able to win a SB with Brady if (I) he has an elite offensive line, (II) he has very good to elite weapons and (iii) he has a very good to elite defense. Well, I could say that about 15 quarterbacks in this league. If they think Mallett can be one of those 15 guys, they should consider a trade for Brady and try to build an elite team around Mallett (using the picks and salary space provided by the Brady trade).

There is a lot of reasons why trading Mallett won't work, but I will give you a logical scenario that I thought of that would still be a long shot and lots of other questions would have to be answered regarding the Patriots backup plans after this trade but what about

Mallett for Josh Gordon. The Browns are shopping Gordon and are in need of a QB after the injuries. We all know that Bill has a relationship with Lombardi and that Lombardi was said to be very interested in Mallett earlier. Lombardi would get his guy and would have 2 first round picks to be able to add talent around him and the Patriots would add much needed veteran talent to the WR corp.

Thoughts?

Love that trade for the Browns. Why exactly do the Patriots need yet another inexperienced WR?

If Mallett plays well in this regular season (if Brady gets hurt) and/or next preseason, I would not be surprised if they trade Brady for picks in 2014.

It seems that we will only be able to win a SB with Brady if (I) he has an elite offensive line, (II) he has very good to elite weapons and (iii) he has a very good to elite defense. Well, I could say that about 15 quarterbacks in this league. If they think Mallett can be one of those 15 guys, they should consider a trade for Brady and try to build an elite team around Mallett (using the picks and salary space provided by the Brady trade).

Check out the cap hit if Brady is traded or released... we are 100% committed to him for the next 3 years minimum.

Check out the cap hit if Brady is traded or released... we are 100% committed to him for the next 3 years minimum.

You may want to check it yourself. He is only fully guaranteed for injury, not performance. This is a common misconception on these here boards.

Well to be fair Brady has played a lot like Tebow this year. Only without the athleticism and late game heroics :bricks:

Or the .500 record.

His $18 million dead money in 2014 argues otherwise.

His $18 million dead money in 2014 argues otherwise.

Why do you suppose the Patriots negotiated for the right cut him or trade him prior to 2015? If they did not consider it to be an option, they would have not negotiated for it, and would have been able to pay Brady less.

Why do you suppose the Patriots negotiated for the right cut him or trade him prior to 2015? If they did not consider it to be an option, they would have not negotiated for it, and would have been able to pay Brady less.

With all due respect—what on earth are you talking about?

No-trade clauses are almost non-existent in the NFL, and I've seen nothing to suggest that Brady was demanding one. The problem is that the dead money rules are what they are, and there's no special exception for Brady.

And, moreover, the Patriots do not have the room to take an $18 million cap hit, unless you also want to, for example, close the door right now on signing ANY major free agents next offseason.

As of right now, the Patriots are at about $112 million on the cap for next season. If you add the extra $18 million for a Brady cut/trade, that number becomes $130 million. This year's cap limit was about $123 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back