PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Making the Club From the Tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Which of following will make the team even if they are still injured?
MORRIS?
WATSON?
LENON?

MORRIS?
WATSON?
LENON?

Morris would be the only lock of that bunch

Lenon has not shown much to be considered a threat to take anyones spot

Watson has a boatload of work to do to get back into the teams plans at TE

In other words Morris is in,the others could be in trouble

I'll be honest. I've not seen anything from Alex Smith to make me think that Watson's job is in trouble.. Smith has been poor as a blocker and has done much in the receiving game either.

Morris has a spot on the team..

Lenon.. Its too bad that he's not gotten onto the field. I think he's a huge upgrade over Alexander and would be a great back-up to Mayo, particularly in the 4-3.

MORRIS?
WATSON?
LENON?

I don't think Ben Watson is in any hurry to get back.My reasoning:

1.Watson is in the last year of a SIX-YEAR contract,with zero talk about a new contract.
2.Remember he held out for a 5-year contract?.....Watson and his agent,were pissed.
3.He knows that if he's cut,he'll get picked up,in a nano-second,just because of his cheap contract.
4.Mcdaaniel, in Denver,Kansas City and Baltimore,will be salivating over this cut.

Morris would be the only lock of that bunch

Lenon has not shown much to be considered a threat to take anyones spot

Watson has a boatload of work to do to get back into the teams plans at TE

In other words Morris is in,the others could be in trouble

There's absolutely no way that Watson's getting cut, unless you think that Alex Smith has shown something that warrants keeping him instead (which he hasn't).

Last edited:
Watson and Morris are known quantities. If they are expected back in the first couple weeks of the season, they make it out of the tub. Lenon still needs to prove he can play in this defense. He's on the outside looking in at this point but competition is tight enough that he could get a spot with one good performance in Week 4. I suppose the opposite could be said for Watson if Smith made five catches for 70 yards in the first half next week, but he really hasn't shown anything to jeapordize Watson's job. Watson busts his ass when he's in there and the only assignment he ever seems to miss is catching the high ball over the middle in traffic. Pretty good stuff for short money still.

People were excited about Lenon... now, not so much. I think the other two are on the roster (though I could see Watson getting traded if BB plans on going on without him - teams already mentionned with connections to the Pats might want to have a mini-bidding war).

I'll be honest. I've not seen anything from Alex Smith to make me think that Watson's job is in trouble.. Smith has been poor as a blocker and has done much in the receiving game either.

Morris has a spot on the team..

Lenon.. Its too bad that he's not gotten onto the field. I think he's a huge upgrade over Alexander and would be a great back-up to Mayo, particularly in the 4-3.

I agree. Alex Smith's production has saved Watson. Also Morris isn't going anywhere.

I do think Lenon has a chance if he can get on the field and produce in the next two games. I forgot who said this today, but apparently in one of the first few camps Belichick spent 15-20 minutes working with Lenon and Belichick doesn't do that for a guy he isn't high on.

No way Watson gets cut. Traded, possibly, but not cut. And Morris flat out makes the team from the tub.

Lenon needs to show something - not necessarily a lot, but something. If he does, he'll make the final 53. If not, it's a crap shoot.

I'd rather BJGE make the team over Morris. But I know im in the minority.

Alex Smith will not make this football team.

Lenon needs to show something - not necessarily a lot, but something. If he does, he'll make the final 53. If not, it's a crap shoot.

Lenon was playing earlier in camp and I remember reading in one of Reiss' blogs that he was buried on the depth chart and didn't look very good. So I'd say his chances are quite slim and time is running out.

I agree Watson and Morris are locks.

Watson and Morris are locks.

There just isn't enough data on Lenon to project his worth to the 2009 Patriots.

Of course there is a way that Alex Smith makes this team.
1) One of the top three could be injured.
2) One of the top three could be traded.
3) Belichick might think more of Smith as our #3 TE than posters here. He hasn't performed yet; that doesn't mean than he would produce less than Thomas over a season.

Is there no way?

Of course there is a way that Alex Smith makes this team.
1) One of the top three could be injured.
2) One of the top three could be traded.
3) Belichick might think more of Smith as our #3 TE than posters here. He hasn't performed yet; that doesn't mean than he would produce less than Thomas over a season.

"There is no way David Patten makes this team" reference, nothing more. ;)

I'd rather BJGE make the team over Morris. But I know im in the minority.

So, we're going to cut morris, a RB who blocks well, runs well, and can catch, for BJGE, a guy who can't block, and can't reach 4 yards a carry against a series of bad defenses?

So, we're going to cut morris, a RB who blocks well, runs well, and can catch, for BJGE, a guy who can't block, and can't reach 4 yards a carry against a series of bad defenses?

Sammy Morris turned 32 last March and is made of glass. Morris was definitely a better running back than BJGE over the last 5 years. My instincts tell me that BJGE will be the better back over the next 5 years. (There is also the dollars savings.)

At first glance, you'd think Morris is a lock. Maroney's still not a dependable #1 guy, and Taylor's no spring chicken, and Faulk is more of a pass-catcher. On the other hand, the Pats don't run the ball as much as other teams. If they kept BJGE as the fourth back, and cut Morris, they could probably make do with that. Doubtful, though.

Lenon looked like a nice signing, but he's got a lot of competition at his spot. Alexander, I dunno, he must have pics of Belichick in a thong being whipped, 'cause he just might make the team again over Lenon.

Watson will never be cut. He'll either be traded or he'll be in the mix with Baker. But even if Watson's traded, that doesn't mean Smith is a lock. Belichick might decide to just go with Baker and Thomas. It's not like they actually use the TE much anyway (at least compared to all those receivers they like to use). If Smith had dropped an easy TD pass, Belichick might be inclined to overlook it, but being a horrible blocker is probably the worst offense you can manage in Belichick's eyes...

Sammy Morris turned 32 last March and is made of glass. Morris was definitely a better running back than BJGE over the last 5 years. My instincts tell me that BJGE will be the better back over the next 5 years. (There is also the dollars savings.)

This.

Morris is old, and just about as injury prone as Maroney. It comes down to dollars vs. need. The drop off from Morris to BJGE in talent is not worth the difference in $$. just MHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down