PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Making the case for Osi Umenyiora

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuck was definitely better all-around, but Osi has a first step you can't teach. That's why he wants to get paid, and why he won't come to the Pats.

I guess you and those saying that his asking price would be too high may be on to something. The guy already has a ring, so I doubt he cares about playing for a contender at this point. Maybe that's why there may be come credence to the whole Seattle thing. They seem to kind of be throwing money around right now, so maybe they'll pay him most. He'll go there for one more giant (no pun intended) payday and then ride off into the sunset with his SB ring.

I guess you and those saying that his asking price would be too high may be on to something. The guy already has a ring, so I doubt he cares about playing for a contender at this point. Maybe that's why there may be come credence to the whole Seattle thing. They seem to kind of be throwing money around right now, so maybe they'll pay him most. He'll go there for one more giant (no pun intended) payday and then ride off into the sunset with his SB ring.

He isn't a free agent though, I don't think he gets to chose where he gets traded to. But I suppose he can refuse to play wherever he gets traded, it will just make him have to wait another year to become a FA.

Holding out is pointless now, you have to report 30 days before the FIRST game or you don't get that season counted towards free agency. No more week 10 nonsense. You also lose 30,000 a day instead of 16,000 or whatever it used to be.

He isn't a free agent though, I don't think he gets to chose where he gets traded to. But I suppose he can refuse to play wherever he gets traded, it will just make him have to wait another year to become a FA.

Holding out is pointless now, you have to report 30 days before the FIRST game or you don't get that season counted towards free agency. No more week 10 nonsense. You also lose 30,000 a day instead of 16,000 or whatever it used to be.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking when I posted that. I should have elaborated. Your point is why I'm assuming he decided to show up to camp. He's still in talks with the G-men. What I read recently is that they Giants will grant the trade if a team is willing to give up a first rounder.

Last edited:
I would take a look at Umenyiora. He is a stud pass rusher and makes turnovers. If the Pats are committed to a 4 man front, he can be a huge addition depending on the compensation.

Osi Giants open for trade

Recent News
The Giants have given RE Osi Umenyiora permission to seek a trade, according to ESPN's Sal Paolantonio.
Despite reporting to the Giants Sunday, Umenyiora remains an unhappy camper. He wants a new contract or a trade, and the G-Men are apparently willing to accommodate the latter thanks to their impressive defensive end depth. Anyone interested in Umenyiora would have to pay a severe price -- high draft picks plus a pile of cash in a long-term contract. The Seahawks and Ravens may be interested. Aug 1, 10:53 AM
Source: Evan Silva on Twitter

Re: Osi Giants open for trade

I'm not feeling it, but I know some ppl here want him

We have two firsts and two seconds. I don't think the pick would be the issue, the salary would. Bad for team politics.

Recent News
The Giants have given RE Osi Umenyiora permission to seek a trade, according to ESPN's Sal Paolantonio.
Despite reporting to the Giants Sunday, Umenyiora remains an unhappy camper. He wants a new contract or a trade, and the G-Men are apparently willing to accommodate the latter thanks to their impressive defensive end depth. Anyone interested in Umenyiora would have to pay a severe price -- high draft picks plus a pile of cash in a long-term contract. The Seahawks and Ravens may be interested. Aug 1, 10:53 AM
Source: Evan Silva on Twitter

MarkHenryRaw2_Funny_GIF_collection-s250x150-142925-580.gif

I see two potential problems on Osi:

1-The Giants asking price of a No. 1 pick, assuming they won't come off that.

2-A player who is disgruntled and looking for one more big pay day while he's still in his prime. Unlikely that comes from the Pats.

A 1st round pick is pretty steep for an older guy. Plus he's gonna want a big contract. A second round pick plus an incentive-laden contract is fair IMHO.

I can't imagine us giving up a 2nd and another pick, or even a 1st, and then giving a ton of money to a guy with a horrible attitude.

It's one thing to take a flyer on Haynesworth with a 2013 5th, or Ocho with a few late-round picks. Low risk, potentially high reward.

But you're talking about a day 1 or 2 pick for a guy that called his GM a liar under oath, demanded a new contract, then said he'd refuse to speak with the guy who could grant him that contract. Not only crazy, but stupid. High risk, high reward.

I don't see it.

Last edited:
I would hate to see after losing out on Nnamdi and letting Ellis go...the Jets sign this guy...and we'll be saying.....man we had two first round picks to play with and he was perfect for us.

The Tom Brady window of opportunity is closing. I say do it. If Haynesworth pans out...add this guy...quickest road to SB.

A common misnomer. Tom Brady is opportunity personified; other quarterbacks just have windows of Tom Brady-like ability.

The Patriots spent the last decade meticulously stocking value. They won't throw that away because they think time is running out.

Can't see Bill giving up a #1 pick for a 30 year old DE who is seeking a massive contract.

Would love to see him here from a talent perspective, as he's one of the final pieces needed in order to restore this defense to dominance, but I don't see any way that it could add up. Picks, huge contract, cap space, etc.

I see two potential problems on Osi:

1-The Giants asking price of a No. 1 pick, assuming they won't come off that.

2-A player who is disgruntled and looking for one more big pay day while he's still in his prime. Unlikely that comes from the Pats.

You're right 1st Rd picks are more valuable than ever with the rookie wage scale, so no team will give up a 1st Rd pick for a 29 yr old DE who's a "one-trick pony." Although I think Osi is a disruptive player that I'd like to have on my team he's been up and down from year-to-year with his pressure and sack #'s. There's also the liabilty vs the run aspect to be considered. I wouldn't give up anything greater than a 3rd for Osi, especially when you consider the contract he'll ask for.

Last edited:
Did anyone see the movie Big Fan? It's about an obsessive Giants fan who gets beaten up by a fictional defensive end. I couldn't help but think of Osi when they talked about this guy. lol.

Big Fan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the money aspect is way overblown. Will he cost some dough, sure but not as much as one would think. I think the guy is looking for new deal with some money up front because he sees the writing on the wall because of this guy:

New York Giants: Jason Pierre-Paul

I think he'd be a Charles Haley type acquisition for us to fill an important SB run hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back