PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Making a case for Jerry Porter

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The trade deadline is coming up and as I browsed through the Raiders forum a thought occurred to me. The Raiders don't have just one problem at WR they have TWO. And after reading a bit more, it seems like Art Shell has declared war on Jerry Porter with that 4 game suspension (that will be appealed and cancelled because of the player's union).

So Jerry Porter has about ZERO trade value. Art Shell has to be begging to get this guy off the team somehow. So what does this smell off? I'm thinking buy low and reap high dividends. I could easily see the Raiders spinning Porter off for just a 4th round pick just to get rid of the guy so they can blow up their team in earnest.

This gamble is good for the Pats as it would be low risk in terms of draft compensation AND salary compensation. (Moss the 10M dollar man vs Porter's 1M per year salary).

The only thing that is keeping Al Davis from trading Porter is probably spite. But perhaps the Pats can go to the well twice and get another bargain wideout. Gabriel is looking like a very good pickup for just a 5th round pick.

I was reading that Porter was doing scout team work for the Raiders which isn't exactly a glorious task. So it sounds like he is the type of guy that will put in the work the coaches want. And I'm betting he would love a change of scenery and coming to NE he would have a chance to compete for the #1 job. In Oakland he can't even get into the starting lineup, he's that deep in Art Shell's doghouse.

So am I crazy or does this make too much sense to happen? I think Moss is the red herring, the Pats actually want Porter. If the compensation is right I'd like to see this guy get a chance in New England. I haven't heard of him taking plays off like Moss and his production has been nearly identical to Deion Branch.

Oh boy. Here we go again...:(

So I take it you don't like the idea of Porter in New England? Can you give me some reasons why?

Last edited:
I agree 101%. Porter is the better option at a lower risk.

If I was Shell, I would want to salvage whats left of this season and get Porter off the club. I'm willing to bet that Porter will be gone by Tuesday and I hope its to NE.

I agree with VJC Patriot that we should try to get Jerry Porter.

Other than 35 year old Troy Brown, the only other wide

receiver with much of a resume is Jabar Gaffney. Our best

prospect at this position, Chad Jackson, is suffering thru a

season typical for most rookie receivers.

VJCPatriot said:
So I take it you don't like the idea of Porter in New England? Can you give me some reasons why?

I do like the idea, I think he'd really help us out. I like it so much I think I must have contributed a dozen times on a dozen different threads on the topic over the last month. I'm just glad the deadline is coming.

ironwasp said:
I do like the idea, I think he'd really help us out. I like it so much I think I must have contributed a dozen times on a dozen different threads on the topic over the last month. I'm just glad the deadline is coming.

There really isnt much else to discuss.

Porter, Gabriel, Caldwell, Gaffney, Brown ...and Jackson. Somebody would get the boot because I dont believe NE would carry 6 Wr's. My guess is either Gaffney or Caldwell.

Ah ok I see. I've only read the Moss to NE trade rumor. Which was helped in large part I imagine due to the SI article. If there are a lot of threads on Porter maybe they should be merged but I hadn't spotted them on the front page.

But anyway I still like the idea of Porter getting a second chance in NE. I think the main problem in Oakland was a personality conflict between Shell and Porter.

The guy's talented enough to potentially replace Deion and we should be able to get him on the cheap. Oakland is just a disaster right now and from what I read the locker room is on the verge of a mutiny.

I don't see how Porter would NOT want to get out of Oakland and that situation. The only wildcard is Al Davis and whether he will hold a grudge and "teach him a lesson" by letting him rot on the bench all season long, or if he will move him just to purge a huge void that has developed between his coach and a player.

I think Davis can be swayed to move Porter. I have no idea what the Pats front office is thinking though. Will they stand pat or will they make a move. I think making a low risk, high reward move would be aggressive and imaginative personnel management. PLUS that kind of move is likely to boost Tom's confidence. I think the Koppen extension was a definite win move, but adding Porter on top of it would be the cherry on top of the sundae IMO.

Last edited:
I guess Gaffney would give way. Nobody else merits the chop unless they give one of the DBs the boot and redesignate Troy Brown...

I think there are two areas that need serious improvement if we are to challenge this season: the defensive backfield and the receiving corps. There is only a receiver out there worth having if Crazy Al is prepared to let one of his go. And with Crazy Al, who knows? The other thiong we need is cover at CB - and if someone became available here that's probably the move I would make, not least because it is far from certain that our best corner (Samuel) will re-sign.

But I'm inclined to agree with Mike Reiss (in the transcript of Friday's online chat) that it is unlikely that the Pats will make a move at this stage.

But I guess you're right, it does give us something to talk about...;)

At the right price I would love to get Porter. For next year in addition to this. It doesn't sound like his suspendable offense was much of a big deal. Once Davis digs in, though, he can really try to screw a guy - remember Marcus Allen. I think Davis would want a solid price just to take away the chance to show Porter who is boss.

If we can get Porter for a 5th or 6th that can be upgraded to a 4th, I think it would be a good deal. It seems Porter has serious attitude problems, but maybe a change of scenery could do him some good.

We should go after Porter, though it must be acknowledged that he likely won't be ready to play for a couple weeks. He's been out of it since the beginning of the season.

I am leaning more towards picking up a DB than trading for a receiver right now. I do believe we could use some more depth at that position, since we picked up Gaffney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes