PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Make sure you're sitting down before reading this: Spikes pleads guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't cost much to insure a high-end car (the safety features help the premium). Insuring for liability to others is really a joke as well, since it can be a tiny maximum. A few years ago, a kid took out the telephone pole in front of my house, jumped my rock wall, and did damage to my front yard.

$16k damage to my house and property. He had $5k worth of liability insurance. He ate the rest.

I am not of the opinion that this should cost Spikes his job, unless the Pats see it (him) as an ongoing distraction. People have accidents all the time. People do stupid things all the time. If he worked at a factory or a restaurant, he wouldn't be fired for this type of indiscretion - heck, if it wasn't a high=profile case, none of us outside the immediate area would have even heard of it.

I wish they hadn't cut him, if it was simply for this.

If he was cut because of the accident, he shouldn't have been cut in the first place.
Leaving aside the morality aspect, there's the question of reliability. There's a chance that he was driving under the influence, which is why he fled. If that's a behavioral trait, it could surface again in the future with more dire consequences, and losing Spikes in the middle of the season would be more impactful that losing him early summer with lots of time to make other arrangements. Why take a chance if there are other (near) equivalent options?

Last edited:
Sigh. Why do athletes and celebrities always get off so easy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back