Welcome to PatsFans.com

Make nice

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

We seem to be going through a bad period here, and it would be helpful if people calmed down and stopped calling each other names either directly or indirectly.

After all, without our antagonists this would be a boring forum, but they can take only so much before they rightly get upset.
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +249 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

LOL, coming from one of the biggest name callers. Good stuff Patters. Quick, call Republicans racists again :D
  3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Remember playing as a child ... parents would say "play nice" ...
    okay as long as it's with my pail and my shovel. ;)
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  4. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Hold people to a standard that's something other than 'whatever gets Ian's mailbox full' and watch what happens.
  5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

I try to follow a rule of stating my opinion and I leave it at that ... I'm not here to change anyones mind and I don't think that's possible anyways. A few here think they can change the mind of others ... most of the name calling is born out of that IMO.

There was a time I thought otherwise ... futile idea it was.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

I'll stop too.
  7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +249 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Yeah right :)

Honestly I think the problem is this is by far the most divisive President we have ever had. It's really hard to maintain composure as he quadruples the national debt.
  8. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Bingo (10 char)

R's are annoyed (even a few I's & D's are too), and many of the farther left are ultra defensive. IT's not a good recipe.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

My view is that things have gotten out of hand for a while now and the mods need to enforce the rules.. day after day the limits are tested with little consequence.. what you and FTW need to do is tighten up.. and then as mods lead by example.
  10. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Originally Posted by BelichickFan
    LOL, coming from one of the biggest name callers. Good stuff Patters. Quick, call Republicans racists again​

You know, at least one moderator showed up to acknowledge a problem, deal with it, and plainly state consequences if they're not heeded... so, BF, where is your ideological ally who also happens to be a mod?

It would be a real gesture towards the goal of any truce around here if the conservative moderator attended this thread and offered the same civil sentiment... and also participated semi-regularly...

he's completely hit or miss, gone for weeks... and when there are spells that he IS around for a week or so, he's either baiting with direct personal jabs or rifling off infraction points and condescending private messages to left-leaning contributors.

it would be very interesting to see how FTW would handle Terms of Service muggers like NEP and tanked... right-leaning, pro Bush bomb-em/jail-em all types, who've gone far further with the F-bombs and direct personal insults than most around here EVER have. "B&B" just don't seem to "get it."

the plain fact in this dying forum (for me) that never seems to get addressed is this: if I -- or Darryl, or Holy, or Wildo, or wistah, etc. -- talked like our two new connish posters do, and I did so while FTW is present, we'd have been suspended for a good week+, and he would have greatly enjoyed doing it... even so far as to top it off with a snotty note. It's already happened in the past.

Patters is totally hands off, however. Which is fine, it's just incredibly inconsistent. In any forum, either you both should be lenient, or you both should be militant. That's just my opinion, especially considering the militant moderator loves flinging mud with lefties. Or maybe you need a third, centrist, moderator. Someone with a history of disagreeing often with both hard core lefties and righties in here. I'd nominate someone like RW. :D

So yeah... i go as far as calling some of the most offensive personalities here a "tool" once a week or so... maybe "clown" the next week.... It's not "fckin re-tard" however...

That being said, I do offer a "sorry"... I'm more than willing to put a moratorium on my own dick-ish behavior. If all would agree to it.

In the famous words of George Carlin: "Well, I get PISSED gawddamnit!!!"

:beatingcoming:
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +296 / 1 / -9

You can call me anything you want-----------------------:p

(is it ok to call obama "jug ears")
  12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

That's what we love about HB!

For any offenses in my past, all I can say is this:

[​IMG]
  13. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

This forum for months ran with few problems. Sure, there were occasional inappropriate posts, but people did not become unhinged by them, there weren't outraged PMs to the moderators, and those who were insulted did not take the bait so often that the insults spiraled out of control. So, both FTW and I let the forum self-regulate, because that's the best way.

Those of you who have been in this forum for awhile know that every now and then the participants have a collective catharsis. That is what we are going through now. We each need to step back a little, and things will calm down. I think the principle goal of the moderators is to simple get things back to a reasonable degree of civility so that people are talking 98% about issues and pretty much ignoring the occasional emotional outbursts.

If we each step back just a little and take responsibility for our own tone rather than worry about the tone of others, it should solve the problem.
  14. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

'if we each'
    'if we all' ...

"self regulation"... that's all very nice...

:cool:

hope it works out.
  15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

It worked well for Wall Street:rolleyes::rolleyes: