Welcome to PatsFans.com

Majority of Israeli Jews Would Support Apartheid Regime in Israel

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Oct 24, 2012.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,815 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

Poll: Majority of Israeli Jews Would Support Apartheid Regime in Israel -- News from Antiwar.com

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  2. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,815 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

However ... here's a different view of the same poll.

That Poll's Apartheid Problem - The Daily Beast

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  3. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +914 / 14 / -7

Disturbing, although the second part was at least marginally comforting.

Yet another face of "What if there's a democracy somewhere that expresses a viewpoint other than ours."

Significant populations in Arab and Muslim countries regularly tell Pew that Israel should be destroyed. Now we have the balancing phenomenon -- significant numbers of Israelis favor apartheid.

I'm pretty sure the two-state outcome needs to happen here. Call me crazy.

4. DocHoliday

DocHoliday In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +133 / 2 / -1

Nobody should be surprised.

5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Sounds like too many Israelis have fallen victim to arrogance and ethnic superiority which is engrained in their religious teachings and religion-based culture. Not surprising. Same thing goes in in Persian and Arab cultures. They get this idea that their religion sets them above all others, which is the core of all religions. When that religion is made the center of national life, it's only a natural progression to Apartheid.

Poor Israel. They seem to have forgotten their past. They are behaving like a child of abusive parents.

We should learn from this, but I doubt we will. We should think of this whenever you hear someone spewing crap about America's "Judeo-Christian footings", but we don't.

6. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +912 / 14 / -29

I would like to separate myself from those who want to kill me......pretty logical if you ask me

7. DocHoliday

Ratings:
    +133 / 2 / -1

Maybe they want to kill you because you steamroll their houses, shoot their children's, and steal their land.

Anyway this speaks mostly about Israeli attitudes of Arabs already within the nation. Palestinians cant vote in Israel obviously.

Attitudes against normal Palestinians are even worse.

8. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +912 / 14 / -29

a principle that this country was founded on........what's your point.....is it OK to be hypocritical yet?

9. DocHoliday

Ratings:
    +133 / 2 / -1

So because our ancestors took land this way it's okay for others to do it too?

What a ridiculous argument

10. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +912 / 14 / -29

yes....now that we have what we want, we should stop this dastardly behavior.

it does not look quite the same from other angles.....just saying

11. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +385 / 6 / -4

#75 Jersey

Ahh, yes. The dastardly Jews are just racists. Meanwhile, across the Middle East there is actual apartheid for non-Muslims about which we hear little. No churches or synagogues allowed, etc. Jews have been driven out of every other country in large numbers and now are told to "go back to Europe". Huh?

The lesson of a Jewish cemetery - Mark Steyn - Macleans.ca

12. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +353 / 2 / -2

I wonder how America and Americans would react if we were in the same situation as Israel and the people of Israel. I mean, come on after 9/11 a majority of Americans were all for "bombing Iraq back into the stone age". And, lets not debate whether Iraq had anything to do with 9/11 because that is not the point.

13. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +912 / 14 / -29

is it me or is this a really bad segway? I am having difficulty connecting the dots, and generally, I agree with you

14. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

So the justification for and defense of those who favor Apartheid is that other people do it? Everyone knows that there are separate cultures within countries that resemble apartheid or are actually that on a religious basis. Muslims do it, it happened recently in Northern Ireland.

That doesn't make it OK and it doesn't let Israelis off the hook.

BTW, just to nitpick, Israelis and Palestinians (whatever that is) are the same race. It can be argued that they are the same ethnicity (Semites) like the North and South Koreans or British and Irish are (sorta). The difference is religion and culture, not race.

15. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

We're not and it is.

16. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +353 / 2 / -2

If Mexico were shooting missles over our border and telling us to give back the land that was theirs our response would be pretty strong.

And no, at this point it does not matter whether Iraq was part of 9/11 or not.

17. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,815 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

Good thread ... I was hopeful that by posting both points of view it would be. It's a tough question with even tougher answers. IMO you could respond to this in two or three different ways and still have many people say "I agree with that".

I don't think they can ever do anything that will get people that hate them to like them. So then why not do what's best for the people. Well ... doing what's best for the people just continues the festering of hate from one generation to the next.

It would be at least make things better in a world view IMO to let the Palestinians have their state and if they would stop treating Arabs who live in Israel like dogs. Somehow they do seem to forget what was done for them in the 1950's.

I think we should always treat them as an ally but
    with a firmer hand that demands some reforms on their part.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  18. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +341 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

You cannot compare Isreal with South Africa. Using the word "apartheid" brings that image to mind.

Isreal was establish (by the UN) as a Jewish state. And who the the land belongs to goes back over 3000 years. If modern Isreal would to let non-Jewish majorites have and equal role, then that would defeat the purpose of having a Jewish state, right?

I would like to see a Palistinian state. But first all the neighboring countries would have to publically declare that Isreal has a right to exsist and give full recongintion to Isreal. Then the land issue can be agreed to and Palistine can become a separate country.

19. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +717 / 20 / -30

20. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,815 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

To me that is the core of the issue here as pertains to human rights ... start with humanitarian treatment / equality for all that live in the area - demand it ... then work from there or take support away. granted it's a Jewish state as Nut says ... but that should not empower them to mistreat Arabs. So we bully our way around the world supposedly supporting democracy and human rights. We allow Israel to treat Arab's like dogs and we fund rich Arabs in their degrading treatment of women and children. then we wonder where is the respect. Threw up in my mout h more than once during debate #3 - both idiots talking crap.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012