PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Major Props for Garrett Mills...

Status
Not open for further replies.
rookBoston said:
Mills is one of the few guys I had on my draft board that the Pats actually drafted. He was the heart and soul of his college team, and has a 3.9 GPA in Business Admin.

Smart, versatile, team oriented, coach on the field, team leader... the NFL and the nation are starting to recognize a "Patriots" kind of player. His coach and his QB absolutely gush about this guy.

Here's some more reading on Mills to give some perspective on what he meant to his team at the college level. He's one of those guys that you script plays for. I think we can expect great things.

http://jenkstrojanfootball.com/garrett_mills_page.html

Mills played in high school at Jenks a school that is steeped in tradtion. Jenks won 7 consecutive large school state championships in football, three when Mills was on the varsity squad. High school football in Oklahoma is extremely competitive so winning 7 straight is no small feat. Jenks is a high school where achievment in athletics and the classroom is expected. Anyway, the point of this is this guy has been a Patriot type player for a long time. And his background, going back to even his high school days, has helped make him what he is -- a pretty skilled and smart player.

I would look for contributions on special teams, maybe some spot duty this year. You rarely see rookies in skill positions (handling/touching the ball) making huge contributions in their first year on a BB team.

This pick is for 2007 and beyond.

Fantasy Question is.....

Will Mills be listed as a FB or a TE?????

closer to average than mediocre...

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Absolutely no argument from me. Love Pass, and you're right, he's no 'true fullback'. However, that doesn't make Mills any more of an ACTUAL FB than he is. And I would say that runblocking from the FB position, Pass is closer to average than mediocre... runblocking from the FB position on the goal-line?? Yes, mediocre.
man we are making some precise distinctions on this board.
i love pass too---he's another patriots RB who has improved, noticeably, each year since he made the cut. the injuries have become an issue, tho. and with maroney and mills in TC, pass is gonna have to show he still has 'upside'.
here in NE, the 'true fullback' concept may be on the bookshelf with some of the lombardi books. i can't see where BB will give up his preference, on the goal line, for the blocking to be done by 300-lb FBs over 240-lb FBs. a few of our 300-pounders can catch the ball, too (big sey, jarvis green).

ilduce06410 said:
i can't see where BB will give up his preference, on the goal line, for the blocking to be done by 300-lb FBs over 240-lb FBs. a few of our 300-pounders can catch the ball, too (big sey, jarvis green).
Yet BB did draft the guy, and fairly high, too. Why do you suppsoe that was?

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Absolutely no argument from me. Love Pass, and you're right, he's no 'true fullback'. However, that doesn't make Mills any more of an ACTUAL FB than he is. And I would say that runblocking from the FB position, Pass is closer to average than mediocre... runblocking from the FB position on the goal-line?? Yes, mediocre.

Not to be nit-picky, but mediocre = average.

jgb95 said:
Will Mills be listed as a FB or a TE?????
To answer your question - the Patriots.com roster lists him as a TE.

DaBruinz said:
Not to be nit-picky, but mediocre = average.
Must be a regional thing, like how some areas of the country call Lunch, "Dinner" and Soda, "Pop"... to me mediocre has always been a step below average. I understand the dictionary definition of both, but "mediocre" carries much more of a feeling of suctitude than "average". :D

PatsSteve1 said:
* It may be a little early to think Mills can actually do anything for the Patriots. I recall many saying similar things about Klecko over the years and his versatilty, but the problem is, he doesn't do any of those versatile things very well. Draft picks most always sound good in May -:)

Blasphemy! Please don't compare Mills to Klecko unless your intent is to bestow the most vile insult possible to him as a football player. There is every reason to believe that Mills will be a very useful player for the Pats, unlike Klecko who never found a position he couldn't suck at.

The Gr8est said:
Blasphemy! Please don't compare Mills to Klecko unless your intent is to bestow the most vile insult possible to him as a football player. There is every reason to believe that Mills will be a very useful player for the Pats, unlike Klecko who never found a position he couldn't suck at.

I dont see any reason to be so high on Mills or so down on Klecko. "vile insult"? Klecko is a dedicated player, is used at multiple positions, has a role on the team. Not as productive as we might have hoped, and never made the shift to LB that I would have wanted to see. But I think the parallels between Mills and Klecko are very appropriate. Hopefully Mills will fit better, and make an easier transition to the pros.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
"mediocre" carries much more of a feeling of suctitude than "average". :D
mediocre

adj 1: moderate to inferior in quality

from dictionary.com

rookBoston said:
Not as productive as we might have hoped, and never made the shift to LB that I would have wanted to see.

Obviously I am not president of the Dan Klecko fan Club. "Not as productive as we might have hoped" is the understatement of the year. That's like saying Phyllis Diller is less attractive than than I was hoping for in a blind date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back