PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Major Props for Garrett Mills...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, I know you were just joking, but Punt returner is not a good idea. He did fill in for our game against OU, but didn't really get any yards. Didn't fumble either, but not our best return game. He was our backup deep snapper though and did a good job at that, never had a bad snap.

PatsChick87 said:
With all these high quality guys we've added, plus the ones we already have, I'm starting to feel really bad for coach come cut down day!!!!!!

that's a nice problem to have. lol

GJAJ15 said:
The Golden Hurricane led East Carolina, 13-10, in the third quarter last Nov. 12 and faced third-and-9 from the Pirates’ 38-yard line. Mills ran an option route and peeled open. Smith hit him for about 10 yards.

“I’m thinking, oh, nice job, he got open on the guy,†Smith said yesterday. “That was impressive. Maybe he can get another five yards. But he jukes the first guy. Then another comes off a block 35 yards downfield and has him squared up perfectly. (The defender) goes low and Garrett hurdles the guy, right over him.

“He clipped his leg and knocked him off-balance, but somehow in the air he regains his balance, lands on his feet at the 10, and jogs in the rest of the way. It was ridiculous. Two plays before that he’s a tight end blocking on an isolation play, and now he’s hurdling defensive backs like an NFL wide receiver.â€
I remeber seeing the highlight of this play and thinking it was incredible. I also remeber seeing some of the Tulsa/Oklahoma game that Tulsa almost won, and Mills was everywhere. He could be a very valuable guy to the Pats "IF" he can handle the physical transition to the NFL.

very impressive guy to read about

a "patriots-type" player

Patriot Missile said:
I like the pick. Fundamentally sound and athletic. Maybe we have another Kevin Turner on our hands? Nice security blanket to have.
jeez, do i remember when that used to mean players like ken sims, gladieux, mini-mack, irving fryar. good players who needed bodyguards/nursemaids for the numerous off-field escapades.
i been saying this since january. now the phrase 'patriots-type player' means hard hitter, smart, leader, team-oriented, plays in pain.
what a transformation for a franchise.
mills sounds like a perfect fit. as patrick pass, not faulk.

Good read. I'm liking this kid. Also liking the concept of having an actual FB vs. trotting in defensive captains who then proceed to hurt their knees...

One quote in the article at the end gets it right. You can obsess about the 6'6 260 lb guys, but give me a 6-footer with good hands who knows how to get open any day of the week.

So what do we think?

Will this kid be starting as FB in week 1? Or will they still go 2 TEs & 1 RB?

tombonneau said:
Good read. I'm liking this kid. Also liking the concept of having an actual FB vs. trotting in defensive captains who then proceed to hurt their knees...

One quote in the article at the end gets it right. You can obsess about the 6'6 260 lb guys, but give me a 6-footer with good hands who knows how to get open any day of the week.

So what do we think?

Will this kid be starting as FB in week 1? Or will they still go 2 TEs & 1 RB?
He is NOT an "Actual FB", and I'd be very nervous about him being viewed as a Pattrick Pass replacement. Eventually, when he learns to runblock from the FB position, sure.. but this year? Yikes.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
He is NOT an "Actual FB", and I'd be very nervous about him being viewed as a Pattrick Pass replacement. Eventually, when he learns to runblock from the FB position, sure.. but this year? Yikes.

Have you ever watched him play and block? I have no idea about this guy.

Exactly. I mean, he strikes me to be as much of a FB as Richie Anderson & Keith Byars were, which seems to be the type BB favors.

I'm not envisioning some sort of Sam Gash basher. But based on his praise, I'm sure the dude can throw a block and pickup the blitz.

From the Article....

" Versatile enough to run bench routes in the flat, 40-yard posts downfield and pretty much everything in between, Mills is what Kragthorpe calls “user friendly†for a quarterback."

Forgive my ignorance, guys but what the hell is a "bench route"?
And where is the area he refers to as "the flat"?

These guys sure are high on their teamate, though.
I sure hope they're right.

He was the one player drafted where I didn't have to tell myself, oh well, In BB I trust.

PatsRI said:
Good article. He sure sounds like he can be that 3rd down and red zone guy out of the backfield that the Pats like. Maroney replaces Dillon and Mills replaces Faulk in 2 years? Seems like it could happen.

If he gets injured 1/2 as much as Faulk it will be a major...major...major upgrade.

JMCTULSA said:
Oh yeah, I know you were just joking, but Punt returner is not a good idea. He did fill in for our game against OU, but didn't really get any yards. Didn't fumble either, but not our best return game. He was our backup deep snapper though and did a good job at that, never had a bad snap.

How many snaps did he actually make?

T-ShirtDynasty said:

Patrick Pass isn't an ACTUAL FB. Pass has been a mediocre blocker at best.

Box_O_Rocks said:
He was the one player drafted where I didn't have to tell myself, oh well, In BB I trust.

Chad Jackson at 36 didn't do the trick for ya?

T-ShirtDynasty said:
He is used to blocking as a TE. How long do you think it will take him to learn to run block as a FB? It isn't rocket science. Hochstein, Seymour, Vrable, Henry Thomas, lots of big bodies got out there and did it.

I can see that it will take a QB a year to learn his position in the NFL, but a run blocker? "Keep your body low, run through the hole, and the first guy that fills the hole, you hit him. Domunous Vobiscum. You are now an NFL run blocker."

Yeah, but Mills won't be able to do all the things for the Pats that Lonie can!

DaBruinz said:
Patrick Pass isn't an ACTUAL FB. Pass has been a mediocre blocker at best.
Absolutely no argument from me. Love Pass, and you're right, he's no 'true fullback'. However, that doesn't make Mills any more of an ACTUAL FB than he is. And I would say that runblocking from the FB position, Pass is closer to average than mediocre... runblocking from the FB position on the goal-line?? Yes, mediocre.

shmessy said:
Yeah, but Mills won't be able to do all the things for the Pats that Lonie can!

* It may be a little early to think Mills can actually do anything for the Patriots. I recall many saying similar things about Klecko over the years and his versatilty, but the problem is, he doesn't do any of those versatile things very well. Draft picks most always sound good in May -:)

spacecrime said:
He is used to blocking as a TE.
Not as much as typical TE's, and blocking from the FB position is different than the TE spot. This kid is an H-Back, and some parts of that unique position are going to take longer to translate to the professional level than others. Runblocking is one of those areas, IMHO.
spacecrime said:
How long do you think it will take him to learn to run block as a FB? It isn't rocket science.
It isn't as simple as tiddlywinks or longsnapping either. ;)
spacecrime said:
I can see that it will take a QB a year to learn his position in the NFL, but a run blocker? "Keep your body low, run through the hole, and the first guy that fills the hole, you hit him. Domunous Vobiscum. You are now an NFL run blocker."
Yeah, how'd that simple three-step program work with Klecko? How many times did we see him blow through a hole and not touch anybody of consequence to the RB behind him? And he had a few YEARS to learn this process that you think is brainless. ;) NO part of an NFL game plan is "simple", including runblocking, perhaps excluding longsnapping. ;)

Look, I love the Mills addition. I'm realllllly excited about it as a matter of fact, this kid is awesome. I'm just worried about the part he'll play in the first year, and relying too much on his versatility at the collegiate level to offset proven professionals with the experience doing what needs to be done in our system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back