PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mainstream Media Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua4Ever04

Banned
Reaction score
There's a good chance that if you turn on ESPN at all this week, you will see some talking heads discusing and debating the upcoming matchup between the Patriots and the Colts.

Now I know both of these teams are very good, both are undefeated, and both have a strong history with one another but let's keep things in perspective a little bit.

This game is what it is and it is just a regular season game.

We all know that both the Colts and Pats will make the playaoffs, we all know they'll both win their respective divisions and just might meet up in the post season.

That's why I hate this hype for a week 9 matchup. What does this game really determine? Honestly, does it mean the Pats are the #1 team if they win? Sure, great, you're the #1 team, but what does that mean in the playoffs?

The only thing this game does is determine who is playing at home and THAT IS IT!

Hyping this game is senseless, if it were the AFC Championship game I'd be all for the hype, but it's just a testiment to how crappy the media has turned recently.

All of these so called analyst talk about Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and all the super stars on teams. But do these guys actully watch games? Do they actully study matchups in the trenches? Do they pay attention to key players such as Logan Mankins, Vince Wilfork, Kelvin Hadden? Do they add in the preperation Dungy will showcase for Josh McDaniels intrecate system?

Death to the media is in full force and this game is just another in the long line of games that are beaten to a pulp with repitition and senseless garbage flowing out of the mouths of these talking figure heads.

/End rant.

There's a good chance that if you turn on ESPN at all this week, you will see some talking heads discusing and debating the upcoming matchup between the Patriots and the Colts.

Now I know both of these teams are very good, both are undefeated, and both have a strong history with one another but let's keep things in perspective a little bit.

This game is what it is and it is just a regular season game.

We all know that both the Colts and Pats will make the playaoffs, we all know they'll both win their respective divisions and just might meet up in the post season.

That's why I hate this hype for a week 9 matchup. What does this game really determine? Honestly, does it mean the Pats are the #1 team if they win? Sure, great, you're the #1 team, but what does that mean in the playoffs?

The only thing this game does is determine who is playing at home and THAT IS IT!

Hyping this game is senseless, if it were the AFC Championship game I'd be all for the hype, but it's just a testiment to how crappy the media has turned recently.

All of these so called analyst talk about Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and all the super stars on teams. But do these guys actully watch games? Do they actully study matchups in the trenches? Do they pay attention to key players such as Logan Mankins, Vince Wilfork, Kelvin Hadden? Do they add in the preperation Dungy will showcase for Josh McDaniels intrecate system?

Death to the media is in full force and this game is just another in the long line of games that are beaten to a pulp with repitition and senseless garbage flowing out of the mouths of these talking figure heads.

/End rant.

Well they have to sell their shows and ads. Also considering how many bad games we have had this season thru week 8, the league and media needs such a game to hype it up.

It's a two team league and those two teams play each other undefeated in week 9. The hype is well deserved. A January game in Indy vs. in Foxboro is a big difference.

Well they have to sell their shows and ads. Also considering how many bad games we have had this season thru week 8, the league and media needs such a game to hype it up.

I know exactly why they do it, they do it because people watch and I have second hand experiance of this. I have a friend who likes the Colts but to call him a true fan would be paying a large disrespect to all true fans out there. My buddy tells me all the time, "THIS IS GOING TO BE A GREAT GAME!"

What did he tell me about the Pats vs. Cowboys game earlier this month?

"THIS IS GOING TO BE A GREAT GAME!"

I hate how much they put into these games calling them the games of the century, it's just annoying, it's not the playoffs.

It's a two team league and those two teams play each other undefeated in week 9. The hype is well deserved. A January game in Indy vs. in Foxboro is a big difference.

I think the game in January in Foxboro would be well deserving of the hype, I can't wait for a matchup like that. But what does this game determine? Nothing more then where the game will be held in January, it's a big deal, but they treat it as if it's going to be the last Super Bowl ever played.

Aqua I do somewhat agree with you and I just cant wait for this week to be over and for kickoff! But I also think that the game does have a lot of importance b/c of the homefield advantage it will give in the playoffs. And it will put an end to the 1a 1b talk until the playoffs

Wait a minute.

Isn't this the very same media whose ranks you yearn to join?

That is a pretty huge deal though. I mean, let's face it, it's homefield advantage with the Superbowl as the prize. It's the Colts and Pats and no one else, so I think it is extremely important.

I agree the "OMG ITZ THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIME 4EVER AND EVER" hype is a little out of control, but I think the fact that the rest of the league sucks so much plays a part. There is really nothing else going on except for the Colts and Pats.

Don't worry, I'm sure there will be just as much hype for the Dec. 2 Jets/Dolphins matchup. That may determine the No. 1 pick in the Draft.

If this were Patriots/Dolphins or Colts/Dolphins in the same situations, you'd be pimping this like it was your personal property. Deal with it. A Patriots win may well be worth 3 wins if they can beat up on the Colts at the same time and weaken them for the Chargers game the following week.

Aqua I do somewhat agree with you and I just cant wait for this week to be over and for kickoff! But I also think that the game does have a lot of importance b/c of the homefield advantage it will give in the playoffs. And it will put an end to the 1a 1b talk until the playoffs

Here's something to ponder.

With a game being in Foxboro in Jaunary the elements and conditions are obviously going to have an impact.

With that said, I ask you this. Have the Colts become the physical specimen the Patriots once were and have the Pats turned into a finesse team? If so, would playing on a fast track in doors be an advantage to the Pats while playing in the elements giving the edge to the Colts?

If this were Patriots/Dolphins or Colts/Dolphins in the same situations, you'd be pimping this like it was your personal property. Deal with it. A Patriots win may well be worth 3 wins if they can beat up on the Colts at the same time and weaken them for the Chargers game the following week.

I wouldn't agree with the amount of attention it received. I would keep it in perspective and understand it is what it is, a regular season game.

With a game being in Foxboro in Jaunary the elements and conditions are obviously going to have an impact.

With that said, I ask you this. Have the Colts become the physical specimen the Patriots once were and have the Pats turned into a finesse team? If so, would playing on a fast track in doors be an advantage to the Pats while playing in the elements giving the edge to the Colts?

Uhh no and no... The Colts are small and fast, the pats are big and strong... What kind of questions are those? Just because the pats have an amazing offense now doesn't mean they have achieved this at the expense of being big and physical. Our WR's are tall and fast now, but the rest of the team is still big, strong, pound you to a pulp guys. The Colts are the same, undersized speedsters all over the field.

Uhh no and no... The Colts are small and fast, the pats are big and strong... What kind of questions are those? Just because the pats have an amazing offense now doesn't mean they have achieved this at the expense of being big and physical. Our WR's are tall and fast now, but the rest of the team is still big, strong, pound you to a pulp guys. The Colts are the same, undersized speedsters all over the field.

The Colts defense is way more physical this year then they ever have been. The Pats don't punch teams in the mouth with the running game, they rely souly on the passing game.

I would still agree that the Pats are more "phsyical" but it's closer then it ever has been. The Patriots offense is finesse and the Colts running game is pretty damn good.

Last edited:
The Colts defense is way more physical this year then they ever have been. The Pats don't punch teams in the mouth with the running game, they rely souly on the passing game.

I would still agree that the Pats are more "phsyical" but it's closer then it ever has been. The Patriots offense is finesse and the Colts running game is pretty damn good.

The pats passing game is AMAZING so it is obvious they would like to use it more since that is their greatest strength on offense. However your suggestion that they rely on "souly" the passing game is way off base. 273 passing attempts, 259 rushing attempts.

And how on earth can you suggest that the Colts have taken over for the patriots physicality while the pats have become finesse!? The patriots defense is enormous. The Colts defense will not hit nearly as hard in Foxboro in January. They rely mainly on speed (speed creates larger force upon impact). All in all it's an NFL defense and all NFL defenses have to be physical. But the patriots defense is still clearly a lot bigger than Indy's, the roles are not even close to being reversed. Indy just has a better defense than they have had in year's past, but still along the same lines of small and speedy. Sanders is definitely a very good and physical safety.

Dear Welcher of Multiple Wagers,

You really need to WATCH some NFL games other than the Phins record losses instead of opening your keyboard and illustrating your abyssmal ignorance. First, HOF lock Tom Brady is a bad weather QB extraordinare, able to pass accurately in bad weather. There was a game known as the 'snow game' against Oakland that you might watch. Also try watching the Pats snowstorm game against the Dolphins in Foxboro. January games in Foxboro against the Colts have always turned out one way. Guess which?

The present Pats team still has HOF bound Tom Brady who EXCELLS at the short passing game be it to excellent RB receivers like Faulk or a league leading slot receiver, a fella named Wanker or Welker. I forget. It features power running in Sammy Morris and a guy named Heath Evans as well as slashing running via Maroney & Faulk. When healthy, there are two good hands TEs, power TE Brady and speed/power Watson who can take a short pass and get YAC.

Please cite for me the many games in cold weather where Peyton Manning has performed beyond the pale, you know, Brady style.

I realize I'm casting pearls before swine here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes