Welcome to PatsFans.com

Maine votes yes on Question 1 (republicans are literally the worst people in America)

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Phokus, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Phokus

Phokus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

From freerepublic.com:

http://img94.imageshack.us/i/freerepublic.jpg/

^--- if you need any more proof that republicans are bad people.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  2. Mabeyitstrue

Mabeyitstrue Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: Maine votes yes on Question 1 (republicans are literally the worst people in Amer

Oh we know, its no secret that the majority of right-wingers are hypocrites liars and fake christains.

Sad part is they think its ok to act this way and think this way........
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +299 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Re: Maine votes yes on Question 1 (republicans are literally the worst people in Amer

I'm against gay marriage for a variety of reasons that I've spelled out before - however I think people get too wrapped up around the "marriage" part. For or against, it's not THAT big of a deal. If we were talking about making it illegal to be with a same sex partner then I could understand the hate and diatribe that is associated with this issue. Not allowing "marriage" isn't a big deal except to those who think that suddenly people would approve of homosexuality if it were legal.
  4. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

We've been over this before but there are a whole slew of rights that are denied as a result of not being legally married. It's discrimination plain and simple, just the same way it was discrimination to disallow women the vote.
  5. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm loath to generalize but it is extremely messed up to take pleasure in seeing other people unhappy.
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +299 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

When gay people aren't allowed to vote then let me know. Most of the "rights" they lack can be achieved through appropriate legal documents.
  7. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Like tax breaks and access to insurance benefits? How does one get that through legal documents when it's the law that denies them? A hospital in FL just recently denied a visiting gay partner access to her dying partner because FL law allows it. If that's not treating people like second class citizens then what is?

From New Jersey Law Journal Editorial, 3/6/00. [Lexis-Nexis, downloaded 3/14/01] , via In Defense of Gay Marriage
  8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Gay marriage is another one of those issues that the majority of Americans disapprove of but it gets passed into law in some states because those who support it are much more likely to vote on it as the single issue they care about, whereas those who oppose it rarely base their votes on that one issue alone.

That is the paradox of how the Democratic Party maintains their power. If you break things down issue by issue, we see much more support for the Republican positions than we do for the Democrat positions (gay marriage, affirmative action, cap and tax, ObamaCare, class warfare, abortion on demand, union politics, radical environmentalism, punitive taxation, etc).
  9. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Right, nice work. That's like saying "all blacks steal." It's an ignorant and fallicious generalization. Because one person posted a comment saying that they were happy that gay marriage supporters were crying is hardly a reason to say all republicans are bad people. This type of nonsense is far too common in political debates today.
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +299 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I'm still not sure where these "tax breaks" are other than deductions for dependents. A lot of the other stuff is largely moot because a gay relationship has a far lower liklihood of having kids which means both people can work so the issues of insurance, retirement, etc, aren't issues. It's a very different relationship than a housewife who doesn't work and doesn't generate their own retirement plans.
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 4 / -2

I'm sorry, but how is this on republicans? Isn't Maine a blue state? It's legislature, and governor, are democrat. Furthermore, people need to look no further than California's vote on a similar measure last year, to see that it was black turnout that decided the gay marraige proposition there. Blacks turned out in record numbers to vote for Obama, and to overwhelmingly vote against gay marraige. Furthermore, I know the OP wouldn't suggest that California is a red state, and that it was eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil republicans who were responsible for the results there. Why is it that fingers have to be pointed in a specific direction, when a general populace decides it wants to keep marraige between a single man, and a single woman? If we're going to open up marraige to everyone, then it should have no restrictions on it what so ever.
  12. resnor

resnor Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Please let me know how a state recognizing gay marriage helps out that couple under the federal tax code...wait...IT DOESN'T. NH has gay marriage, and a woman I work with is married to her partner. They have to file sep taxes, amongst other things. It's a federal problem. So, don't blame the states for the tax issues.
  13. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

In this case we're obviously talking about state-level discrimination, the federal level will come as soon as enough states get used to the idea I expect. Either way, denying gay marriage and equality either at the state or federal level is still the very definition of discrimination.
  14. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You can't call a thing moot and make it magically so - a lot of gays adopt, you know. You're just trying to rationalize denying rights.
  15. resnor

resnor Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Also, why do they have to be "married?" If it's only about benefits, then let them get civil unions, and give them the same tax breaks etc as "married" people. What I would rather see, actually, would be for the government to issue EVERYONE civil unions. That is, the government would recognize everyone as civil unionized...if you wanted a "marriage" certificate, that would be simple something issued from the religious institution of your choice. So, when people got hitched, they would get a civil union cert from the government, whether hetero or homo, and they could get a "marriage" cert from their church.
  16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +299 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

According to the numbers I just found, about 30% of gay couples have kids and over 90% of straight couples do. It's a vast difference and although there is some choice in the matter for straight couples there is a lot more choice for gay couples, given that they have to choose to have kids. It's just a very different situation although it's becoming less different with more working mothers. I will say that I don't have any reason to deserve my wife's pension should she die (I don't know if I would get it or not). And she shouldn't need mine as we both work. 401K "inheritance" is different as that's an actual account of our money but if she died, the 401K is the only piece of her retirement I would expect - no pension, no social security.
  17. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So you're saying 2 things:

1) It's OK to deny right if there's not a lot of people who's rights are denied
    2) You want to deny yourself access to certain parts of your wife's hard earned wealth should something bad happen, even if it's legally available to you.

Really, that's just plain ridiculous. The whole point of equality is that you don't take into account some bizarre slippery slope of "vast difference(s)". Don't you understand how that can be and is abused?
  18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +299 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

1) I gave the 30% for information. The bigger issue, which isn't the case as much anymore, is a lot of women used to grow up planning no work outside of the home so they would need to inherit their husbands' retirement. For gay couples that won't be the case, and it's becoming less of the case for straight couples now too.

2) I'm not talking about what's legal, I'm talking about what I think SHOULD BE.
  19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

We are moving backwards as a society.

Thanks dummies.

Hopefully, in a few more years the fine conservative base will bring back slavery and take away a woman's right to vote.

we suck.
  20. resnor

resnor Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No comments on what I said about civil unions and marriage?